“It's Not The Ritz Carlton - But You Can't Beat The Price/Value!”

Studio 6 San Antonio - Airport
Ranked #272 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“It's Not The Ritz Carlton - But You Can't Beat The Price/Value!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Like the title says, don't expect a five-star hotel. I would classify this hotel in the "economy" category. That being said, if you are planning an extended-stay, you cannot beat the price/value you get!

During our visit, if you booked a week or more, you got a special rate. We got our room (two queen beds) for $45.00 a night! The rooms were recently renovated, which was nice. Half of the hotel property was still under construction, but we never had any problems with noise/shady people.

What I loved the most about this place, is the fact it comes with a small kitchen complete with a full-sized (however smaller, not a tiny mini-friedge though) refrigerator, sink, and two electric burners. The room also comes with basic pots/pans/kitchenware. This was very important to me as I prefer to eat healthy vs fast food when I'm traveling. That is very difficult to do without a kitchen. This alone is a huge selling point to me. How many other places come with all that for only $45.00 a night? Not many. The burners worked fine, but took a while to heat up and cook certain things as they are not normal house-quality burners. I would not want to cook anything that required boiling water, but it worked for what we needed.

The location is good as well. It's still in a good part of town. I did not feel unsafe in this part of San Antonio (unlike some places on the south/east sides of town). The hotel is very close to the airport and is close to most of the main highways.

The air conditioner worked great and kept the room cool throughout the day. This is something I always look for in a room.

The staff were friendly. We had to take out our own trash (I don't think they "made" our room once during our stay), but other than that it was fine. We had to ask for new towels every day, but they always gave us what we asked for.

The only "cons" would be related to quality. Everything in the room is cheap cheap cheap. The floors, the bathtub, the bed, the kitchen, everything. That's not to say it did not work, everything worked fine for what it was, and again, for $45.00 a night, what do you expect? The quality of the room did not bother me too much, although my mother who has back problems had a hard time sleeping on the bed. She said it was "lumpy". I slept fine.

The only other thing is that there was not a fitness center available. We did not go into the pool, but it did look clean.

All in all, if you are looking for a good deal on a room that has a lot more to offer than most, I would highly recommend this hotel. Especially if you are going to be out and about for most of the day and mainly at the room to eat/sleep. If you are looking for a more traditional hotel, or if you are trying to impress your girlfriend or something, this may not be the one for you.

Room Tip: We asked for a different room at first as it smelled like cigarette smoke. We were taken to a differ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Matthew G
S65048, Manager at Studio 6 San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Frist Let me Thank You for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. Here at Studio 6 San Antonio Airport we strive to give oustanding service to each of guest and it is with feedback such as yours that will help us meet that goal. Thank you for mentioning the range top, they should actually get very hot, I am sending someone from our Maintenance department to take a look at that. You and several other guest have made a comment about a fitness center, especially since we an exteneded stay hotel. We hope to have the second phase completed in a couple of months and at that time to install the fitness center.

Once again that you for your comments about your stay with us.

Have a Great Day

Rene M.Moreno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Fullerton, Nebraska
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I drove up to the property and wasn't sure what to expect. Front Desk person was extremely friendly and was able to give me directions to my meeting. I opened the door to my room and I couldn't believe this was the right room. If you are staying in San Antonio and don't want a 5 star hotel, this is the best hotel in town.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5048Studio6GM, Manager at Studio 6 San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
I would just like to take the time to thank you for your review of our property. We count on feedback from our guest to help us continually improve our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back in the future.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here and although the rooms have and are being remodeled It was horrible ! Every day and night the construction crew , who works and lives there played loud music and partied in the parking lot till 2 every morning then started working at 7 am who knows how safe or reliable the work is ! We had the construction workers around the hotel asking us for drugs and alcohol at 10 am!!! We also had our trailer we use for work stollen and when we asked for help from the owner to view his surveillance video he refused to help us.!!! If your working in town and have anything of value on or in, including your car/truck don't stay here !!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 138DM2014
5048Studio6GM, General Manager at Studio 6 San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
I would like to once again express my sincerest apology for the issue with your automobile, I am sorry that you feel that we did not care. Overall the property is well lit and only has one entry/exit area in the hotel, but even with this from time to time these incidents happen at all hotels. When you asked about cameras, what we told you was correct we do not have any on the property we only have them in entrance and lobby area. Being an extended stay hotel we always walk a fine line between the security and privacy of our guest. Which is one of the reason we only do housekeeping once a week, guest want to have the same privacy as they would at home and that is the reason why we don't have cameras out on the property, it protects our guest privacy. I really wish you had told someone on our staff when you had the issues with construction crew, they are not employee of the hotel but we can address the issues with direct supervisor here on property. I know that this review does not show us in the best light. But I hope that you will ready some of the positive reviews and realize that this is not the typical guest experience at our hotel. And once again to the reviewer and I thank you very much for this review with out guest such as yourself giving us feedback good or bad we cannot continue to be a Quality hotel.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I have been staying here for seven weeks now and are completely miserable. The good: very large, newly renovated rooms. The bad: inept staff, constant water and internet outages, construction crews party and have bonfires into the early morning. The bonfires are incredibly stupid to have given the construction crews are rebuilding the other building of hotel because it BURNED DOWN. When we checked in we paid a month upfront as is standard with long term stays. About a week and a half into our stay we found out there was a computer glitch and it erased us and our payment from the system. We found out this happened because we filed a complaint with the corporate office because they were returning mail addressed to us. The manager said this would be fixed. About 9 days left in our payment we started getting calls saying we owed money and had to checkout. We went to the desk and showed them what the problem was and they apologized and again said they woukd fix it. Two days later the calls resumed. It was a few days shy of needing to pay for another month but we went downstairs to have the same exact conversation we had a couple other times. We also paid for the next month. The next day we were told the same thing. I still dont think they have the slightest clue what is going on. The manager says its because he has a new staff. I'm sorry, but you can't teach common sense and reasoning abilities. If the staff can't grasp common business practices and sense then they don't need to be working there. The front desk manager has zero customer service skills and we avoid calling or going down there at all costs when she is on duty. Them returning our mail, even though they knew we were waiting for it, cost us an entire Saturday to drive eight hours roundtrip to go get it and $120 in gas. To sum it up, great rooms that you pay an extra $400 a month for compared to other studio 6 properties but is not worth an extra penny given the issues mentioned. Save yourself the frustration and high blood pressure. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank kelrie
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Studio 6 San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Kelrie - We apologize for the customer service issues you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience they caused you. Please contact our guest relations department so we will have a record of your experience to better address these issues and improve your experience with us in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Family of 12 stayed here. Enjoyed every minute of the time spent in hotel. Quiet and roomy. There is no breakfast or workout equipment, but the pool was clean. Raul and Diamond were super at the front desk. Clean rooms every day. Extra towels and accessories whenever you needed them. Close to many eating places. We plan to return soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Buellton, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Though hit or miss as another reviewer said, as far as the chain as a whole, this motel on hiwy. 281 is real nice. It was being remodeled and another completely new wing was being built during May of '13. Nice lobby and staff at check-in. There was a statement about the office being closed at 10pm which I didn't quite follow. I believe there must be an employee at a motel 24/7. The room was a real surprise when we opened the door. It looked almost Retro or european. The floor was attractive with no carpet. Thank you. The pillows were stacked on edge and the TV was flat screen in the wall. This being a Studio 6, it had a real nice kitchen with radiant heat surface top, microwave, refrig., nece pots and pans and flatware. A corner seat table combo and another work table. The downers are, the tub shower itself was from prior to remodel and was very worn out. Good water pressure and hot and fine showerhead though. Nice sink outside of bath area. At 6am, for about 45 minutes, the aircraft start leaving and you will hear them. A muffled roar of engines. Would definitely look for another Studio 6 again. Excellant beds and blankets and covers.

Room Tip: A new wing on left is being built now. Try for a room at rear for less aircraft noise in morning.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Walton, Nebraska
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I was not sure about this motel as Motel 6 can be hit and miss with quality and service. This particular studio 6 exceeded my expectations for the price I paid. The rooms have been recently remodeled with new beds and all. There is also an elevator in the back of the motel which made it nice when bringing up your luggage. The cooking area was small but practical. The bathroom is tiny, but everything was functional. Thankfully, the bathroom sink was outside of the actual bathroom. The location was good as it was right by the highway which made for an easy trip to the airport or downtown, The only downside while staying there was the pool was not opened.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends