“Great location is just the beginning!”

Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport
Ranked #112 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We initially booked this hotel because it was the only one available due to spring break! But boy were we pleasantly surprised! Everyone that works there is very friendly! The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable and the A/C worked great. The parking is behind a security gate. They also take pets, no questions asked. The free breakfast was delicious and worth getting up early for.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank flyin4fun

Reviewed 5 March 2013

From the check in lady, to the breakfast staff, to the check out, this was as good a stay as one could ask for. Clean, fast elevators, quiet room, and the breakfast HIE ids known for. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: High floors have better views
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank councilman05
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I was just here over night and it was good. Room was clean the front desk staff were nice. The only problem we had is they said the shuttle ran every 15 min from the airport we waited at least a half an hour and had to call 2x to finally get the shuttle their.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel, and both times it has proven to be a great value hotel for our needs. Very conveniently located. Close to the airport and to my daughter's school. In our most recent stay, I called the day of our arrival to say that we will be checking in late and asked to reserve a rollaway bed. Due to a miscommunication this did not get noted in our reservation so when we came in late that night, I was told all the rollaways are out. The lady at the front desk, Veronica, was super friendly and helpful. She ended up locating one for us later and even brought it to our room herself. What service! Staff members like her are a great asset to any establishment and I will certainly give the Holiday Inn Express high marks because of her. I am not giving it 5 stars for a couple of reasons: our room faced the freeway and I could hear the highway noise. Next time, I will remember to ask for a room away from the highway. Also the thermostat in our room didn't seem to work and it was rather warm all night; the a/c unit would not turn on automatically to cool it down. Otherwise, the room was nice, great shower, clean bathroom. Breakfast had a selection of hot and cold items. My husband did comment more fruit choices would have been nice too. The eating area was spacious, food areas well-stocked and nice, hard-working staff Plenty of parking space. The 410 highway in front of the hotel is elevated, so if any traveler is using Google maps, you cannot get off of 410 until you have passed the hotel. If traveling north on 281, exit on Jones Maltzberger and go north on it, cross 410, then turn left and stay on the feeder. The hotel will be immediately on your right. Overall, a very good hotel for the price, and thanks again to Veronica, for outstanding service!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the highway for less noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank surfnshopntravel
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We had a conference at ths location and the free shuttle, $89/night rate and free breakfast made this a VERY good value. You can hop on the free shuttle and go to the airport to rent a car for the day to go down to the River Walk about 20 minute drive away on Highway 281. The hotel also has free parking and free internet. The rooms are simple but clean so the entire trip was easy and inexpensive. The weather in February was 73 degrees and sunny - a great break from the colder climates up north. This is a great way to spend a lomng weekend on a budget!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the intestate 410 Loop are a bit noisy
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was my first time staying at a Holiday Inn Express. I stayed here through Priceline.
Here are the pros and cons:
Pros:
Customer service from the front desk was great. Very helpful and really nice. I asked for more towels and they brought some immediately. They also let me have late check out without problem. I also asked for a room with a frig and microwave and was given one. *Note - Not all the rooms have them.
Free hot breakfast was available and is pretty good. They keep the area well stocked all morning. It has your basic cereal, bagel, etc but they also have an egg dish of the day. One day it was scrambled eggs (definitely from a mix) and the other a crepe like egg and ham pancake. My children enjoyed the pancake 'machine' that you can press the button and it makes a pancake one at a time. They tasted pretty decent. The young lady that was stocking the breakfast area offered to cook me and my daughter a side of just scrambled eggs on the day they had eggs with ham because we don't eat meat.
Location is great - access to freeway - you are not far from Alamo Quarry which has nice shopping and plenty of places to eat. You are also around the corner from North Star mall which is a good size mall.
The free parking garage is handy because you can access the building with your room key from the covered garage area. I made sure to park in the garage only if to make myself feel better about all the signs telling you to lock your car and watch your stuff.
It is nice to have free Disney and other channels for the kids. Upper level hotels seem to love to charge you to watch episodes of their favorite shows.
The hotel is quiet. We had no problems with noise from the freeway or the planes.
Good beds
Cons:
This is definitely an older hotel so rooms are old but the bathrooms look a little more up to date.
Most of the vending machines were empty and 1 was broken. They are not located on each floor.
The hotel is really hard to get to. *Note if you are coming here off of 410west and exit McCullough you will be past the hotel. Go to the next light, make the u-turn and then u-turn again at Jones - Maltsberger.

I would stay here again for the rate I got through Priceline.

Room Tip: The main floor is the 3rd floor because the hotel is on a hill. I would pick any floor but 3 because...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jay H
Reviewed 31 December 2012

What an excellent stay we loved the service and breakfast hit the spot! The only thing I would change if possible would be the volume of the toilet flush. However, I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express when I come this direction in the future!

• Stayed: December 2012