“Repeat visit ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport
Ranked #120 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Repeat visit ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

The staff were without exception helpful pleasant and offered great service. Breakfast was buffet style and adequate, rooms were typical HI Express comfortable practical and clean. Hotel is convenient and central for my purpose, reasonable value for money and a short walk to shopping mall as well as a couple of restaurants. ATM practically on the doorstep and controlled safe undercover parking.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Canton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I got there and the alarms were going off on the phones and the CSR was freaking out and calling a bunch of people and she made me stand there and wait instead of checking me in and handling it later. With that said, the staff more than made up for it in the morning with their insanely nice treatment of the guests at breakfast. I think it was the owners of the hotel and they were really nice. The room was nice and the breakfast was pretty good. Their internet was pretty quick as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Clintonwoods
Hagerstown, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 27 - 31 October 2013 for a business trip. I was assigned to room 414. Upon arriving to my room I was tempted to check out immediately and cancel my reservation. The room was extremely small, the 24 inch high dresser had 2 drawers and the desk did not have a drawer. The hotel smelled of backed up sewage, but the room itself smelled clean and was clean. The housekeeping staff appeared to do a good job at cleaning the rooms. The alarm clock and automated wake-up call system were easy to understand and worked well. The air conditioner was extremely loud and appeared to be malfunctioning or not cooling as well as it should.

Since I was quite disappointed in the room, I toured the Airport Drury Inn that shared the same parking lot as the Holiday Inn with the intent of switching to a better hotel. The Drury Inn offered a free hot buffet type dinner in the evening and a free hot buffet type breakfast in the morning, and they were priced similar to the Holiday Inn Express, but were booked up. Since I take 5 -6 business trips a year to San Antonio, I plan on trying the Drury Inn Airport on my next trip and the hotel appeared to be more business traveler friendly. If it works out, it may be my hotel of choice for my San Antonio business trips.

This is why I don’t intend to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Airport anymore: This particular Holiday Inn appeared set up for more of the 1 night stay travelers and was not geared to the multiple night business travelers. The onsite guest business office did not display the Holiday Inn homepage, but rather the Drury Inn homepage when I opened a browser. Most Holiday Inns recognize me as a Platinum Rewards Member, but this one did not (which is fine), and they generally upgrade me to a bigger room without me asking if they have one available. Since the clerk was not wearing a name badge I asked her name through casual conversation, and she told me her name was Amy. She appeared agitated that I even asked. A few days later I saw her again at the front desk and she was wearing a name tag with Abigail on it. After she assigned the room I asked her if it were possible to get an upgraded room, she told me that all of the rooms were the same. I asked if she had my Platinum Rewards number on file so that I could get the points for my stay. After a few seconds of checking, she found it and confirmed that she had it. She didn’t sound too sure in her response and was a little short with me. I believe I may have interrupted her break or something because she appeared to want to hurry up and get back to what she was doing prior to my arrival. I was the only person checking in at the time.

I was assigned to the D Parking Level, and upon parking I noticed what appeared to be an abandoned vehicle with a flat tire. I asked Amy (Abigail) if it were alright for me to park somewhere else or on a different level because there appeared to be an abandoned vehicle in the lot on the D level. She said that I could park anywhere. I asked her if she knew about the vehicle and she said yes they are aware of it. The vehicle was still there 4 days later when I checked out. I also asked her if my room was designated handicapped because the furniture appeared to be lower in height than what I am use to. She told me it was not and that all the rooms have the same type of furniture.

On early Wednesday morning I asked the front desk attendant (very nice and understanding lady-not Amy) to have someone check the air conditioner in my room because it was loud and did not appear to be cooling. Later that evening when I returned to the hotel, I inquired at the front desk about the status of the air conditioning. Once again, Amy was working the front desk. After fiddling for a while she went to the side office and checked and she told me that it was fixed in a rather short and terse voice. When I arrived at my room, it was indeed quieter and much cooler than the previous days.

The breakfast that the Holiday Inn advertises is acceptable. It is the standard garden variety of eggs, bacon or sausage patties, biscuits and variety of baked goods, coffee and juices. In the evening they offer potato chips and pretzels or similar to the airline type condiments that you receive on your flight down, which certainly is not a very appealing choice. I don’t believe this hotel had a kitchen that you could order room service from, but there is an Applebee’s in the same parking lot and plenty of other choices nearby.

Overall, this Holiday Inn Express appears to be well maintained, and would be perfect for the occasional 1 night stay traveler, but I would not recommend this location for the business traveler. I would have normally written this review on the Holiday Inn IHG site, but the email link they sent to do so was broken.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and some of the reception staff are unfriendly, stay at the Drury Inn instead, they...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear rdduncan,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here just for the weekend, and was very pleased with all the accommodations, and the cleanliness of the room. It had everything needed for a quick getaway. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice hotel near the airport. This hotel is close to anything you need from Northstar mall to many restaurants and a quick jump to the freeway to drive to downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki M
Yorktown, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Hotel room and hotel facilities were pretty average. Staff was very helpful however and the airport shuttle was easy / quick to our terminal at 4am. Pool sits kinda in the parking lot with little buffer from noise/people - sorta odd. I would probably stay at one of the other hotels if I ever need another airport hotel in San Antonio.

Room Tip: Top floors away from the elevators would be key.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank docgoat
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear docgoat,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the airport shuttle. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
mom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with our basketball team. Nice place, good breakfast- eggs, sausage, bacon and pancakes. They had problems with the elevator but it was fixed quickly. Only downside was the noise of flushing the toilet. That was the loudest toilet I've ever heard. Plus you can hear the room next to you flush theirs.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

My family and I flew back in from Puerto Vallarta and decided to stay at this hotel since they had shuttle service and it was close to the airport. This was our last stop before driving back to Houston. When we arrived to check in, I was greeted with the most courteous front desk receptionist (Sabrina). Sabrina offered my entire family bottled water when we arrived. She took the effort to go the extra mile to make my family and I feel welcomed to the hotel. It's the little things that make a big difference. The hotel was older, however, the rooms were clean and the property well kept. The parking lot is secure, so I felt safe leaving my car parked in the covered parking area. This hotel is operated by the Drury Hotel family, which is comforting, since they do a great job at their other hotels. The room also included a hot breakfast which was nice have before I headed back home. Overall I had a very good experience with staying at this hotel. The one exception was Veronica, who was the front desk receptionist who was on duty the next morning after my arrival. My wife needed water to take her medication so I went to the front desk to see if I could get another bottle of water as I did the day before. I believe she was having a bad day and it showed. She told me they couldn't sell me the water and that I could buy water in the vending machine. I told her I didn't have change and then she proceeded to tell me there was an ATM in the business office I could use to get money. I had money, like I said, I didn't have change. I saw that this hotel to customer relationship was going absolutely nowhere so I left the front desk back to my room. Luckily I ran into the manager on duty and he went ahead and gave me a couple bottles of water. Veronica, please take my advice. You need to take care of YOUR customers! The good much outweighed the bad so that's why I give this hotel a very good rating. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face opposite the freeway.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family