“Noisy, Outdated, Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #118 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Noisy, Outdated, Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I travel to San Antonio about two times per month. I have been staying at the Holiday Inn Express near downtown, but a coworker from out of state was staying at this location so I chose to stay here as well. I stayed here one time before several years ago and was not a fan of the location. Things have not improved in the five years since I stayed last.

Overall this Holiday Inn Express is passable but not at the top of its game. The lobby is small and ackward….it seemed more of an afterthought given the size of the hotel.

Breakfast is typical Holiday Inn Express, hot items, cold items, juice, tea, etc. The breakfast area is too small for the size of the hotel.

The rooms dated but appear clean. It is evident that this hotel is rather old. I was in a king sized room. The beds is acceptable and they have a nice selection of firm and soft pillows. The climate control system worked well and you can leave the blower motor on for white noise. Unfortunately, the white noise does nothing to drown out the horrible road noise at this location…the windows are just not acceptable, even from my seventh floor room. Additionally, the walls must be thin, as you hear toilets flushing in nearby rooms. The curtains were pretty weak as they left huge gaps against the wall. The rooms are well lit, had plenty of light, plenty of plugs, and have HDTV’s. Overall the room has a very awkward layout. There is no couch, but an easy chair. The TV is oddly offset from the TV. The work desk is small but acceptable. There is no normal closet, rather just a small armoire. The bathroom is small, dated, but acceptable.

The free internet is passable but disconnects from time to time. There are many restaurants in walking distance.

The location is very close to the airport and has plenty of parking. The outdoor pool is welcoming. They have an absolutely tiny (three pieces of equipment) gym, unacceptable even for a limited service hotel.

Overall, I don’t see myself coming back, there are other better options for the same or less money in the area. You can stay downtown for only a few dollars more in a nicer hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Aaron F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you very much for your extensive comments regarding our property. We will be undergoing a multi-million dollar facelift in September of this year which will address all of your concerns. We will be enlarging our lobby area, installing a completely new and modern room package and also enlarging our exercise room. I encourage you to revisit our hotel in the early part of next year and I am confident that you will enjoy our improvements. Thank you again for your comments as they help us to continually improve.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

It does everything you would expect for a Holiday Inn Express. Good bed. Clean room. Good WiFi. Free breakfast. Decent TV. No complaints. It even has covered, secure car park and is very convenient for the airport.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lakewood, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very good Holiday Inn Express. Clean, professional, modern. I will definitely stay here again when I visit San Antonio. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a manager's reception in the late afternoon with gratis beer, wine and snacks. Nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank James P
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Visitors to a Holiday Inn Express obviously shouldn't be expecting 5-star accommodations, but I was very pleased with the hotel and the staff during my stay. For starters, the location is great for those wanting to stay close to the airport. It is also a stone's throw from the very nice shopping area of Alamo Quarry Market. There's both a Walmart and a Whole Foods within a 10-12 minute drive - something for everyone! There is an Applebee's within walking distance, other chain restaurants very close by, and the hotel provides a very nice complimentary breakfast for guests (fruit, cereal, yogurt, biscuits and gravy, juice/coffee/tea, you get the idea). I rented a car, but there is a complimentary airport shuttle available. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I didn't visit the little outdoor pool, but it looked well-maintained. There was also a small exercise room on the 2nd floor. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Keller, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

One of the most spotless rooms I have ever stayed in! We had to check out due to my back surgery pain from a very firm bed though. If you don't mind a firm full size bed this is your place! If they got new beds I would defiantly stay again! Quiet! Great location and great price. Front desk people were very kind to us!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This has to be one of the smallest rooms EVER! It was for our entire family.... Two adults, two school age children and a toddler in his pack-n-play. There was barely room for the pack-n-play! Tiny!!! You hear plenty of noise from the airport ( but it is an airport hotel, so not surprised), the AC was loud, but effective. The room was clean, but very dated looking ( and did I mention small?). We stayed here because my husband has the ihg rewards and since a longer stay, we were trying for under $100 per night. We stayed at three different hotel on the way to this destination ( all HIE) and this was definitely not the best! I'd probably give this 3.5 stars if able. It's good enough, but will not plan to stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Aaron F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your comments above. We will use the information to continue to improve our product and services. I am sorry that your room size did not meet your expectation. We do have larger rooms at the hotel which might have been a better size for the needs of your family. I am sorry that we did not tell you about those options upon your arrival. We will be giving our hotel a 4 million dollar renovation at the end of August which will modernize our entire hotel. Thank you again for your comments and have a wonderful day.
Cadillac
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

The staff was especially helpful as my husband is confined to a wheelchair. The room was more than adequate. Their breakfast was tasty, included sausage, bacon and scrambled eggs which was more variety than other hotels we have stayed. They also have a snack time which included tortilla chips, salsa and wine. We definitely would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which I believe is more spacious. My husband had no problem maneuvering in the...