“Great Staff, Not a 3 star hotel”

Travelodge Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport
Ranked #82 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“Great Staff, Not a 3 star hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was passing through San Antonio and thougt Id stop and get some rest before continuing my long journey. Decided I preferred to pay less (it was already 1:30am and checkout was at 11am). I saw this "3 star hotel" marked down 50% so I booked immediately. As I pulled in I noticed it was a motel with ok looking cottages. I walked in and realized I made a mistake. I thought that if the lobby looked worn, the rooms would too. I noticed simple things like worn floors and dirty walls and doors. Not a good look. The guy at the desk was very pleasant. I told him that I was worried and asked if this was a 3 star hotel. He said yes with a straight look, then told me about their time share rooms. Of course I declined and went in for the room that I purchased online. NOTHING like the Travelocity photos. They used their updated time share rooms only for the photos, although they were selling very outdated rooms, with filthy carpets. Their sink had cracks and some black moldy looking material on the drain cover. The bathroom reeked of urine and was tiny. The bed was comfortable although it had the typical old motel quilts that are usually not cleaned before/after each guest. I can only imagine what was on it. A simple duvet, a good cleaning, new carpet and paint would make a big difference. Not worth it too them I guess. However they want the recognition and advertisement of a 3 star hotel. I will say that the guy at the front desk made me feel very welcomed and he was great, but I won't return.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Let's start with the positives. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were cotton, and they stayed on the bed. The towels were reasonable as far as hotel towels go, not super fluffy, but not threadbare, either. The room was spacious, with a sitting area furnished with a love seat and TV that is separated from the sleeping area by a small kitchenette. The bathroom sink is in the main room so someone can brush their teeth while someone else is in with the tub/shower and toilet. There are two TV's, one with the beds and one with the sitting area. This is a motel, so parking is very convenient. We were just steps away from our front door.

However, there are enough downsides that I cannot recommend anyone stay here. First, we had a plumbing problem with our toilet just before we went to bed. The toilet overflowed and spilled water all over the floor. This water went out of the bathroom and into the mini kitchenette and sitting area. The carpet in the sitting area got wet. We called the front desk as soon as we noticed the problem and the porter showed up with a bunch of old towels, like he was used to this kind of problem. He cleaned up the water and put towels on the carpet and told us to put the towels out in the morning for him to retrieve. It was late, we were ready for bed, but I was still surprised that no one even offered to let us change rooms. The carpet was wet! Ugh! When we checked out in the morning, it was like it never even happened. My fault for not making more of an issue about it but really, you're going to charge me $104 to sleep in a room with wet floors? There didn't seem to be any communication between the different shifts about what happened.

Additionally, even without the water incident, the room was a worn out, tired mess. There was a hole in the carpet in the sitting area underneath the TV stand. The walls, doors and trim could use some paint and the love seat cushions has small holes in them and was uncomfortable. The tub/toilet room was tiny though reasonably clean. I did see several insects in the bathroom but, hey, it's Texas and there are insects. Still, I'm not accustomed to seeing insects in my room when I travel.

There are certainly better options than this when in San Antonio and I recommend you look for them.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed at this facility end of April 2011. The staff was very helpful with directions and using public transportation. The surrounding neighborhood looks a little suspect due to some nearby adult oriented businesses but the property had their own 24 hours security which eased my mind. The only negative was the room I stayed in had an air conditioner which barely cooled the room. If it had been later in the year it would not have worked well enough to be comfortable.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the most recently updated rooms I was told the air conditioning is good in them...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Newark, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Small hotel located about 15 minutes away from downtown San Antonio. Very friendly staff and owner. Rooms are spacious with an interior wood finish that looks very nice. Stayed for three nights in January, but pool and cabana area looked great. Hope to visit San Antonio in the summertime, will absolutely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary S
Brownsville, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

The price was good, but the only complain would be the beds were very uncomfortable so for anyone out there with existent back problems it's not a good idea to stay here. I'm not much of a TV watcher but the sets are from the 80's. It wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Candia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

I booked on line 2 months ago, from NH, went to AF graduation with my 88 year old mother, she and a brother had driven in from Scottsdale. When I arrived I was given a very nice spacious suite, a lot larger - nicer than I had expected.
Once my mom got there she had a difficult time getting up the 2 steps. I went to the desk to see if there was any way to get a handicap unit or if ramps were available ... not only did they have compassion for my mom, but they found us a unit with a ramp as well as the needed accessories within the unit, and gave it to us a no extra cost
The studio was very inviting, clean, and has to be one of the nicest places that I have stayed in. The grounds were kept up, the pool and hot tubs were great !
The photos don't do it justice. !

Room Tip: I cant see any room's not being a good room!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Alethea H
Tahlequah, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

This is more like a mini cottage than a hotel room. It was very spacious, including a living room with couch, chairs, desk, and tv, a mini kitchen with 2 burner stove, and a bedroom area with tv. The beds and towels were clean, but I will say the carpet was pretty dirty. Don't stay at this hotel with a conventional hotel design in mind. It is rough around the edges, but it makes up for it with space and character. The pool is beautiful and includes a kid section and hot tub. We walked out of our little mini cottage onto a wooden porch that overlooked the hotels park. The kids loved the extra room for sure.

Room Tip: If you have kids, ask for a room that faces the park and pool area.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family