“Great Place to Stay If You Are On a Budget...”

Travelodge Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport
Ranked #85 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Great Place to Stay If You Are On a Budget...”
Reviewed 11 July 2009

My husband and I decided to book our hotel through Travelocity's "Top Secret" deals, which is non-refundable and non-changeable. It was in our price range, but we had no idea what we were booking until after confirmation (it is exactly like Hotwire). I have to say that after reading some of the reviews of this hotel here on TripAdvisor, I was a little nervous about how our stay was going to be (almost regretting having booked a hotel without knowing what I was booking). But, to my surprise it was a pleasant place to stay. When we arrived in San Antonio, we got lost because the exit off of the interstate to the hotel is closed. We ended up having to call the hotel to get directions. The front desk staff was very friendly, especially Mandie. The concierge clerk, Rachel, was very pushy trying to get us to book a tour of their condos and listen to the timeshare pitch. We stayed in a standard suite, which is kinda almost to fancy to call these rooms because you can tell they are older rooms. The beds are not very soft, sorta of like sleeping on a cardboard box. The bathroom was very odd, as there was no sink. The sink was out in front of the bathroom door on the wall next to the mini fridge and the microwave. The bathroom also reeked of urine. The floor was clean, so I'm not sure why it smelled like that. The hotel was pretty centrally located, as the it was only a short drive to the Alamo, the Riverwalk, and Seaworld. You will definitely need a GPS to get around. All in all, if you are looking for a quiet, cheap place to stay, and you are not very picky, this place is for you.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Austin
Reviewed 8 July 2009

My family and I were very impressed with the facilities. Hard to believe it is located inside a major city right next to Loop 410. We were only 2 buildings down from the office (near the highway access road) and pool. We heard no noise from the traffic, pool area, or adjoining rooms. Excellent location with quick access to the major loop. Downtown, Sea World, and Ft. Sam all within very short driving distance. Denise at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The rest of the staff was very nice. Pool and hot tub were spotless. Spoke with several guess who have been staying at Hill Country Inn for several years when they visit SA. It didn't feel like the usual stay at a hotel. It was comfortable like home. It is our new place to stay when in San Antonio.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Cleburne, Tx
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The hotel room wasn't as clean as I would have liked it to be but it was definetely family friendly. It had a great playground and pool. The staff was very friendly. The continental breakfast was good especially the coffee and yogurt, great variety. "Rose" who worked in the breakfast area was especially friendly and most helpful. I'm the mom and always last to sit down and kept having to get up from the table to get something for my 4 year old and "Rose" was always there to help and got us exactly what we needed when I needed it. So a big thanks to her.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Wichita Falls,Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My son said it right the first time when we pulled into the parking lot, we had somehow happened to be checking into a shabby motel.

Good things about the hotel: it has a great playground for kids and a clean swimming pool that they are lenient about the time if you're quiet.

Bad things about the hotel: 1)we too awoke to massive amounts of mosquitos in our room and in the toilet, although we looked we couldn't figure out how so many were getting in. 2)our shower curtain was moldy inside and out all the way up and down, when they replaced our shower curtain, they took all of our towels 3)if you leave a wet towel on the floor, they will take it, but not leave any-you must go to the front desk and ask for them4)the towel for the swimming pools are the size and thickness of dish towels 5) they ran out of breakfast food and could not keep the milk set out for cereal 6)my carpet was filthy in our room, I asked every day for it to be vacuumed and it never happened, I'm just thankful they replaced the shower curtain, I even had suckers stuck to the floor that were never picked up. 7) our bathroom area too was rotting -be fore- warned, I say bathroom, but it is only about 5'X5',I have never been in a bathroom that small before 8) I also have to agree with someone on the beds, it was like sleeping on boards 9) if you get the kitchenette, you will need to clean the stove and refrigerator prior to use, because they won't be clean them and in our room not only were they not clean, but both the refrigerator and microwave looked like a mosquito grave yard 9) the air conditioner only worked at one speed and temp (high/cold) and was extremely noisy you either had to sweat or freeze.10)road construction by hotel is bad (not hotels fault) 11)hotel surrounded by tattoo parlors and strip clubs for men (not hotels fault)

Houston
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I would like to mention a few things concerning our stay at your facility last week. We planned a family gathering in San Antonio and all but 4 of the 23 of us elected to stay at Hill Country Inn & Suites. The other 4 live in San Antonio

Denise along with Rose, Mandy and others I do not have names for made sure we were promptly and pleasantly taken care of in a manner that has at many places been lost years ago. Everyone one of your staff spoke, smiled and genuinely seemed to care that we were welcome and the reason for their employment, down to the grounds keepers! You are to be commended for employing good folks that enhance a guest’s stay and contribute positively to their days at your inn. This will go a long way in receiving referrals and repeat business.

Though there were a few minor problems your staff were prompt to correct and did everything possible to ensure a pleasant stay at your facility.

We strive to be fair, and I always like to end on a positive rather than a negative note. Your total amenities, pool, grounds keeping, cleanliness of grounds, pool and play ground were excellent. Staff GREAT, really, we were all duly impressed. And the fact that you have family type movies is a wonderful idea, and having some adult beverages doesn‘t hurt either.

We will definitely remember you for our next visit to San Antonio and recommend you to family and friends.

We would appreciate it very much if you would acknowledge to you staff the positive influence they had on our stay and that I took the time to recognize their efforts and good work ethics and personal service to our family.

Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2009

First of all we have been staying at the Hill Country Inn and Suites in San antonio since it was the Hawthorne Suites and our experiences were always great, until this vacation. My husband , I and our children and our friends booked rooms 30 days in advance, so for sure we did not think that we would have any problem, but when we arrived we were told that they only had one room left and that we were all going to have to share.
Within 20 min. they came up with a smaller room than we had booked. So our friends took the smaller room and I and my family took the bigger. But our nightmare had just begun. That night my family and I were bitten up by mosquitos, little did we now that the room was infested with mosquitos. I called the front desk and this young lady Courtney giggled and suggested that we use OFF. We stayed for 3 nights and we were like pin cushions the day we left. All other hotels were booked or we would have left.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Houston
Reviewed 29 June 2009

To start...it's next to a tatoo place and a couple of strip joints. It's not a good part of town at all and is under major construction at that.

The reservationist at the 1-800 number booked us in the wrong room so we didn't have a kitchen to cook to save money.

The room appeared clean but when we turned on the shower a burst of mildew smells came from the bathroon. Shotty repairs were done on the tile floor and a tile was sticking an inch higher than the others and my son hurt his toe. This tile was next to the sunken floor where the wood had completey rotted under the carpet from some apparent water damage.

AND DON'T JUMP ONTO THE BED TO CRASH AND SLEEP. YOU COULD PUNCTURE A LUNG. THE BEDS WERE SO HARD THE SPRINGS YOU FELT WERE SOFTER THAN THE ACTUAL MATTRESS. THESE BEDS WERE STRAIGHT FROM THE FLINTSTONE ERA.

I THOUGHT IT BEING A RESORT IT WOULD BE BETTER THAN THE "HOTEL/ MOTEL" EXPERIENCE. IT'S NOT.

AFTER ALL OUR TROUBLES WE REC'D A $40 CREDIT. THANKS FOR THAT.......THAT COVERED ONE MEAL WE HAD TO EAT OUT. IN NO WAY WAS THAT REFUND APPROPRIATE FOR THE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

Never again....