Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall
Ranked #98 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights and were very satisfied with a nice, clean room and the friendly, accommodating front desk. We booked the room via Priceline just a couple of days prior to check in and got a deeply discounted Express Deal. I called ahead and requested 2 beds, and was told that they would make a note, but couldn't promise anything. When we checked in, they didn't have any more rooms with 2 beds, so they put us in a room with a king and a sofa bed, which was perfectly fine with us. When we needed 2 band aids, the front desk cheerfully and quickly gave them to us.

I'm glad we ended up with this hotel (with Priceline's Express Deal, the hotel isn't disclosed until you pay for it) because it is very close to North Star Mall and other shopping. It's on the south side of Loop 410, very close to the Hwy 281 intersection which made it easy to hop on 281 and drive about 15 minutes south to the Riverwalk and other central San Antonio destinations. They offer a very nice, complimentary breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, yogurt, cereal, waffles, juices,and coffee. The lady who was in charge of the breakfast service was very nice and friendly also.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank The5Ps
Kirk A, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Clean and friendly is what we strive to be 100% of the time. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

With a 5:45 AM flight, we changed our plans and stayed at the airport our last night in San Antonio. Since this was a Marriott property, we figured it would be just fine. First, when we checked in they let us know there was only a shuttle to the airport starting at 5:30 AM!! This should have been on the website! However, with great customer service, they did offer to pay for a cab - and they did have one waiting for us at 3:45 AM.

There is only one ancient elevator for the entire property. It took 10 minutes to arrive the first time and it wasn't busy.

We had booked through Orbitz so it was a double bed room. When I asked to upgrade to King, they were gracious enough to do that, BUT they didn't tell us it meant we'd be in a handicap room. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was difficult to use as there was no place to put anything (it was an accessible bathroom). The shower head couldn't be adjusted and sent out such strong streams of water that hurt (per my hubby). Oh and the hot and cold water were reversed on the sink - that causes great confusion at 3 AM!!

The other funny thing was when I used the phone to call the front desk, they couldn't hear me! I had called down to the desk to ask them to pickup my hubby at the airport. Because I ended up using the cellphone instead of the house phone, they couldn't call me back. Instead they sent someone from the front desk ALL the way up to my room to ask me what terminal my hubby was located. Great service!! However the phone should have been functioning properly.

So if you don't mind a very dated hotel, the service is great and the beds were comfy and clean. However, make sure you have a later flight if you need a shuttle and check the bathroom.

Room Tip: Take one a lower floor. The ancient elevator takes forever
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dialady

Hello,

Thank you for your review during your most recent stay. I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experience. Our goal is always 100% satisfaction and your voice is our best resource. We are addressing the issues you experienced and hope to regain your trust and business in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here overnight before catching a flight from the airport. The hotel was conveniently located near a few restaurants (we walked to Crackle Barrel) and easy to reach from Loop 410.

The checkin was easy there was no wait. Parking lot is well lit. We didn't use the pool or eat the breakfast.

I don't have complaint about the room or amenities it just wasn't as nice as a Hampton Inn, it is closer to a Motel 6/8 than it is to a Sheraton, Marriott, or Hilton. I guess I just expected a little more and a little nicer. I would say here again but if I could find a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn at a comparable price, I would stay there first.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank BobcatinTX

Hello,

Thank you for your review during your most recent stay. We hope you will choose us again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel as seen better days. The room did not seem clean and the common areas were not impressive. I've stayed at several Fairfields and this was on the lower end. The tub was really stained and I even went out and bought some Clorox spray to be sure it was sterile.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Shishkabob

Hello,

Thank you for your review during your most recent stay. I want to apologize for the issues with the old shower curtain and stained tub. We have corrected the issues you brought to our attention within that room and hope to regain your trust and business in the near future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I booked a room at this Fairfield because we had a very late arrival into San Antonio. Check in was fast and easy bad we were told we were upgraded. Nice surprise. This is an older Fairfield and is a little tired.
FindIng a parking spot was a challenge as the parking lot is shared with the Courtyard. There is not enough parking if both hotels are full and they were full for Easter weekend.
The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. This made up for the wear and tear.
The breakfast room was extremely crowded and busy. There were many families trying to feed the kids and find seats. Hats off to the breakfast room attendant. She was fabulous. How she was able to multitask with that number of people was amazing. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debra V

Thank you for taking the time write a review on your experience with us. We appreciate your constructive feedback and are taking the neccessary steps to address the issues you mentioned. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Only minutes from the airport with a free shuttle. The driver was such a great guy that he came in early, 4:45am, so I could get to the airport in time for my 5:45am flight. He happened to be at the front desk when I checked in and heard me making a reservation for the shuttle and volunteered to start early. He got a good tip. Because of very long security line I would have missed my flight if I had not gotten to the airport when I did. The room was ok with a refrigerator and microwave. The bed was comfortable but some things could use an update. It was fine for a short stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Murrayj

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The beds, comfortable. Room, clean. Be aware - older hotel in need of some updating. The carpet in the room was ... Yuck. The breakfast, basic. They need more staff as the area was destroyed by kids. Kids running up and down the halls late into the night. The pool was over chlorinated. Very family friendly. :)

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Danake
GM_FFIS_SA_AIR, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that your stay with the Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall was enjoyable.