Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall
Ranked #99 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Checked in for a couple days with 4 kids and the husband for a weekend mini-vacation. While making reservations we were told that the double queen rooms were all booked and they only had King's available. So we went ahead and booked it because the rates were in our budget. Once we arrived we asked if a king executive suit was available and the front desk staff was able to upgrade us at no additional cost. The first room they gave us was already occupied so they switched us to another room and gave us a complimentary movie rental and popcorn for inconvenience. The room was perfect for our family. We utilized the heated indoor pool/jacuzzi both nights. The breakfast was very good. The young lady servicing the breakfast area was very friendly and helpful. Only drawback about breakfast was that a one family was using both waffle machines at the same time to make about 8 waffles so we had to wait. Common courtesy would have been to just use one and let other people use the other. But not the hotels fault. The elevator is extremely slow.... Use the stairs if your not carrying to much!

Stayed: July 2014
Kirk A, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for one night. It was ok ,BUT my kids were not able to get in the first day since it was super dirty. And the next day it was closed for cleaning. So much for them going for a swim. There was a sign saying to go to the pool at the neighbor hotel which we did NOT pay for that inconvenience. Staff was friendly considering the very unpleasant smell that greeted you when you walked in I guess it's the best thing for them to do to make you forget about it for a while. Elevators stinky too. Room was okay but a little small. Overall I will not be staying at this hotel anytime soon nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your review during your most recent stay. I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experience with our pool being shut down. We have corrected the issues you brought to our attention. We hope to regain your trust and business in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hadn't stayed in a Marriott product in a while and after I woke up to a roach on the extra bed on my last stay at a competitor, I had to make a switch. The front desk staff was energetic and fabulous to work with. When I checked in and out, it was apparent that they liked what they do and were energized by their clientele! The rooms are clean as usual and the suite's have a fridge and living space that's comfortable. The bed is top notch and very comfortable. Pappadeaux is within walking distance, so dinner was great to go with it and I didn't have to drive!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello,

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to serving you again the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I just spent a week at this hotel. After trying the nearby Residence Inn, I expected this property to be equally pleasant. It was definitively worse. Firstly, the noise. What hotel has their dumpsters emptied every other day between 4-6am right outside the guest rooms? It woke me up every time it happened. For whatever reason, the planes also blast their engines after takeoff going right past the backside of the hotel. Finally, the hotel was a little dirty, with a funky smell in the main hallway on the ground floor, and their poor single elevator took forever to arrive, and forever to get you to the right floor.

The only redeeming quality of the hotel was the evening/night staff (there was a fabulous woman working the desk into the wee hours during the week, and she really deserves a ton of praise) and the breakfast staff (the woman staffing breakfast was super friendly, remembered me each day, and made sure I was taken care of).

Room Tip: Stay somewhere quiet -- facing the mall, on a high floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello,

Thank you for your review during your most recent stay. I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We have a number of different tactics we are using to combat the sound issues you mentioned. Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights and were very satisfied with a nice, clean room and the friendly, accommodating front desk. We booked the room via Priceline just a couple of days prior to check in and got a deeply discounted Express Deal. I called ahead and requested 2 beds, and was told that they would make a note, but couldn't promise anything. When we checked in, they didn't have any more rooms with 2 beds, so they put us in a room with a king and a sofa bed, which was perfectly fine with us. When we needed 2 band aids, the front desk cheerfully and quickly gave them to us.

I'm glad we ended up with this hotel (with Priceline's Express Deal, the hotel isn't disclosed until you pay for it) because it is very close to North Star Mall and other shopping. It's on the south side of Loop 410, very close to the Hwy 281 intersection which made it easy to hop on 281 and drive about 15 minutes south to the Riverwalk and other central San Antonio destinations. They offer a very nice, complimentary breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, yogurt, cereal, waffles, juices,and coffee. The lady who was in charge of the breakfast service was very nice and friendly also.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank The5Ps

Clean and friendly is what we strive to be 100% of the time. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

With a 5:45 AM flight, we changed our plans and stayed at the airport our last night in San Antonio. Since this was a Marriott property, we figured it would be just fine. First, when we checked in they let us know there was only a shuttle to the airport starting at 5:30 AM!! This should have been on the website! However, with great customer service, they did offer to pay for a cab - and they did have one waiting for us at 3:45 AM.

There is only one ancient elevator for the entire property. It took 10 minutes to arrive the first time and it wasn't busy.

We had booked through Orbitz so it was a double bed room. When I asked to upgrade to King, they were gracious enough to do that, BUT they didn't tell us it meant we'd be in a handicap room. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was difficult to use as there was no place to put anything (it was an accessible bathroom). The shower head couldn't be adjusted and sent out such strong streams of water that hurt (per my hubby). Oh and the hot and cold water were reversed on the sink - that causes great confusion at 3 AM!!

The other funny thing was when I used the phone to call the front desk, they couldn't hear me! I had called down to the desk to ask them to pickup my hubby at the airport. Because I ended up using the cellphone instead of the house phone, they couldn't call me back. Instead they sent someone from the front desk ALL the way up to my room to ask me what terminal my hubby was located. Great service!! However the phone should have been functioning properly.

So if you don't mind a very dated hotel, the service is great and the beds were comfy and clean. However, make sure you have a later flight if you need a shuttle and check the bathroom.

Room Tip: Take one a lower floor. The ancient elevator takes forever
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dialady

Hello,

Thank you for your review during your most recent stay. I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experience. Our goal is always 100% satisfaction and your voice is our best resource. We are addressing the issues you experienced and hope to regain your trust and business in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here overnight before catching a flight from the airport. The hotel was conveniently located near a few restaurants (we walked to Crackle Barrel) and easy to reach from Loop 410.

The checkin was easy there was no wait. Parking lot is well lit. We didn't use the pool or eat the breakfast.

I don't have complaint about the room or amenities it just wasn't as nice as a Hampton Inn, it is closer to a Motel 6/8 than it is to a Sheraton, Marriott, or Hilton. I guess I just expected a little more and a little nicer. I would say here again but if I could find a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn at a comparable price, I would stay there first.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank BobcatinTX

Hello,

Thank you for your review during your most recent stay. We hope you will choose us again in the near future.