“Great Stay”

Ranked #24 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Our family and extended family made a brief one night stay at this property. There was 15 of us and we had 4 rooms. We were worried that our rooms may not be together but Kelly from the front desk really went out of her way to get our rooms together and make our stay more relaxing. The hotel was great for the kids and seemed clean and well staffed. I would not hesitate to return to this proberty again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
We are so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you should book a family reunion here soon! Thanks for your kind review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This resort is very large and is somewhat a maze to follow. It has beautiful views of the hill country and great views of fireworks at night from Fiesta Texas. The drinks at poolside are really great and they have an adult only hottub, which I think is the largest tub I've ever seen. The spa is nice, it is pretty small, and not very fancy but the service and the gals there are great. I had a massage by Stephy Ann, For somebody with tiny hands, she really worked out the stress, and she gave me wine after my massage! Great weekend getaway. I suggest the view of the pond area on the 5th floor.

Room Tip: Rooms on 5th floor are quiet and have a great view of the rolling hills.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelguider20120
, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thanks for your kind words. We hope you will return soon!
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I would recommend this for either business or pleasure. I stayed here for two evening and the views are unparalleled. Sitting in the pool, watching the sunset over the Texas hills is one of the most beautiful sights I have seen in my life. The rooms was quiet and comfortable, the bed is truly heavenly. From check in to check out all of the staff was helpful and kind.

The pool and grounds were kept up very well and large enough that you did not feel as though you were fighting for a seat, and the evenings I was there the hotel was sold out. This would be great for families, as the pool was very kid friendly and even had a kids club.

I will for sure return to this property. The views alone put any hotel on the riverwalk to shame, if in the San Antonio area this is a must stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

This was our second time staying at the resort, the first time we stayed we had a couple of problems that were resolved by the staff, but it still impacted our stay. We gave them a second try this past weekend, and we had a wonderful stay without any problems. The service was quick and efficient, the food was wonderful, and the room was quiet and comfortable.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
We are delighted to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations. Please come back soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

I do not know how this hotel was rated with only four stars.. It is way beyond five stars and should be listed as such. I especially want to thank Adrianna Rodriguez for her excellent service on pool side. She did such a great job on day one, we asked for her again on day 2. We were not in her "section" but the manager aloud her to serve us... YIPEE!!! I am a flight attendant and I give excellent service, this is the kind of first class treatment that makes me wonder why this hotel is not listed as five star. From the beginning of my stay till the end this hotel went above and beyond to accommodate and treat me like a first class passenger... Thanks again Adrianna!!!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JanetDELTA
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
It is so great to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Hope to see you again soon!
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 16 June 2012

After Memorial Day, my daughter, three little grandkids, & I (grandma) stayed a few days at the Westin La Cantara. From the minute we unloaded the luggage, to the minute we uploaded the car for the return home, our stay was "Super Service" all the way. --I had to do a double-take on the friendliness of the valet. --Borgie Rivera, at check-in, was exceptional. He took into consideration our three little kids (ages 5, 3, & 6mos) and suggested a room close to the pool and parking. --At poolside, I've never had a waiter say, "It's on the house", when I reminded him that I needed to sign a ticket for my 7UP. I guess there is a first time for everything! --Breakfast, lunch, and dinner continued to surprise us with the exceptional service. My 3 yr old grandson wasn't feeling very well and the only thing he wanted to eat for dinner was a waffle. The waiter kindly explained that waffles were not offered at that time. We were OK with moving on to a grilled cheese sandwich. However, the Chief happened to be walking by, overheard the conversation, and assured our little guy that waffles were coming right up. That was service beyond expectation!!!

And there is more....my little 5 yr old granddaughter was trying out her gymnastics moves in the pool. She flipped off the side of the pool, banged her head, and sustained a gash that required a trip to the emergency room. Security staff could not have been more helpful in calming the situation. Later in the evening, we received a call from management asking if all was well. (Skeptics may conclude that they were only being nice to avoid legal action -- that was not the case; the accident was entirely our fault and their compassion was sincerely genuine).

The pool(s) and garden areas cater to a variety of guests; from a baby pool to an adult only pool. --The little nature hiking trail was exciting for our little kids. -- The Kids Club was so much fun our 5 yr old told her mom, "Mommy, this is just for kids".

My husband and I travel quite a bit and have stayed at many 5 star resorts. I can honestly tell you, in comparison, the service we received at the Westin was unequalled by any place we have previously stayed.

Thank you Westin for a lovely stay. (Note: for confirmation, the reservation was under the name of my son-in-law: C. Stuckey, room 3358).

Room Tip: Let check-in know what you would like; they will try to fit your needs.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank joloughlin
We truly appreciate your kind words and are glad your grandchildren had fun, injuries and all! Please come back again soon.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My first visit to the Westin La Cantera came with MANY rave reviews from friends and colleagues who have visited before. Luckily, I was NOT disappointed! The hotel is beautiful, and the location atop the hills make it EXTRAordinary! Let's face it. It's summer in Texas. It's hot, folks. But one of the amazing benefits of the hotel, is it's location in the hills. There was actually breezes to cool you! (this was a welcomed escape from the sauna that is my home in Houston!)

In addition, the restaurants all put out really good food! I'm always hesitant at large hotels, but these guys do it well.

Only glitch I had was in room location. Recommendation: be persistent. Really try to push for a room that makes best use of this location in the hills. I don't recommend the room in the back of the hotel on the ground floor, overlooking the golf Cart storage, which I had ("there were too many late check-outs today to give you a better room"). Ugh!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Olent
Thank you for the nice review. We hope to see you here again soon!