“Customer service is not forgotten here”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We visit The Westin LaCantera in San Antonio, TX annually to celebrate our anniversary. The customer service is always good here but they found one person who really shines around people. Her name is Danielle aka Danny. You can find her down at the adult pool and she made our entire stay that day so welcoming and wonderful! She has a smile on her face even when overwhelmed by orders. She called me by my last name which most people dont care to do. She is a wonderful addition to the Westin family! Keep this one around guys, the great ones are hard to come by! Thanks 'Danny' for making our day at the pool so wonderful.
-Bethany Shaw

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

We are delighted to know that the team made your anniversary special. Please come back again soon!

There are newer reviews for La Cantera Resort & Spa

Reviewed 3 August 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our 30th anniversary at your resort and I do not have adequate words to tell you what a wonderful time we had. Allie Garvey and the host of other employees that contributed to make our stay first class were Anita, JD.Armando, Francisco, Gabe, Denny, and Jesse, These employee's including Allison Garvey helped to make our special time wonderful. Whatever recognition can be given, it should be given to them. Everyone I know will know about the great time we had at your resort. Thank you for hiring such fantastic people to represent your establishment. A job well done!

Room Tip: Be prepared for a wonderful time!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Happy anniversary! We hope you will be back to celebrate again next year.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

If it weren't for the customer service and attentiveness of the La Cantera staff, my review would be much lower.

I'll get the Cons out of the way first:
-The walls in our room were filthy. There were huge black scratch marks all over 2 walls, as if something rubber had been dragged across the wall. Smaller scratches and dents in walls and on the furniture. I suggest get a little touch-up paint and a sponge with water and soap--it wouldn't take long to repair.
-There were dirty/greasy handprints on furniture and on the door. Again, soap and water would do wonders.
-The lampshades were askew and the mattress was crooked and didn't line up with the headboard. We couldn't believe the shape that the room was in when we walked in.
-There was no shampoo in the bathroom.
-There were no robes in the room.
-Our room wasn't ready when we got there (not a big deal), but were told that we would have a room on the 7th Floor overlooking the golf course, which I later found out was the Hacienda Club Floor. When we were able to get to our room, it was NOT on the Club Floor and it only had a view of the side of the building and the concrete below.
-We were told that our luggage would be in the room when we checked in, however it wasn't and was nowhere to be found for about an hour.
-The "spa" desperately needs updating. Old, dated interior and nowhere close to a spa experience when inside. Dark, depressing, outdated.
-The restaurant, Brannon's Cafe, could use a little more TLC when cleaning. The chairs had crumbs in the creases, lots of handprints on the glass, etc.

The Pros:
-Everyone on the staff went out of their way to provide an incredible customer experience. Whoever hires and trains their staff needs a raise. We did not encounter one person that wasn't genuinely helpful and courteous. Every person we dealt with about the problems with the room and luggage seemed to genuinely be sorry that our experience had started out poorly.
-When I went down to talk about the room mix-up, we were moved to another room with a nicer view. It still was not on the Club Floor nor did it have a king size bed (the resort was full), but at least we could see the golf course in the distance.
-Because of the problems with the room and luggage, we were given Hacienda Club Floor access (even though we weren't actually on the floor).
-Joyce was incredible. When she heard everything we'd been through, she arranged for us to have a credit at the spa, which we were not expecting and was much appreciated.
-We had a couples massage and it was honestly one of the best massages either of us had ever had.

All in all, we had a great weekend because of the staff and how they went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. However, the resort desperately needs a facelift. It looks very very tired. It essentially has been beatdown from all of the kids. The kids have definitely won the battle and it shows. This was a romantic weekend getaway for us and we had hoped that it would feel more like a Four Diamond Resort and less like a kid-friendly hotel. If you're planning a trip with young children and don't really care about it being a nice getaway for the two of you, then it probably wouldn't be too bad. I definitely think this is a place for families with very young children (under 7). To be honest, we have stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country a few times and I believe they do a better job of balancing the adult, romantic aspect and the kid-centric aspect.

We are headed back to San Antonio this coming weekend and again for Labor Day. We were planning to stay at La Cantera, but decided to try the JW Marriott instead. For the cost of the room, resort fee, cost of meals/drinks, La Cantera is just not worth it. It's too much to pay for the quality of the hotel.

1  Thank longhorn1991
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

We are so sorry that your visit was less than perfect. Our goal is that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for, and we obviously missed the mark this time. We are so sorry to discover that the hotel didn’t meet our normal standards for cleanliness while you were here. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Visited the hotel for a couple of days to enjoy some time in my home town which I do not visit very often anymore. My parents and I were going to stay at the Riverwalk but I booked this instead. It was not a mistake. The property sits up on a hill and have wonderful views. It had lots of amenities with the pool being one of the best. It had areas for children and separate for adults. The workout/spa area was wonderful as well. I also ventured out every morning for a walk on the outdoor trail. The beds were great as usual for Westins and the rooms were spacious. I would stay over and over again. Thanks for this beautiful place in a beautiful city.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank radwommman

Thanks for such a great review. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is our 5th trip here for a long weekend. We've been as a couple and brought the kids (5 & 2) this time.

Pros:
Staff is friendly and helpful
Free parking (valet optional)
Free (slow) wifi in rooms. Fee for faster wifi
Kids club - basically hourly babysitting and they offer breakfast/lunch/dinner for kids for an extra $5. Wii and video games for older kids. Crafts and toys for younger kids
Summer stuff - extra water slide, smores, outdoor movie.
Free shuttle to La Cantera mall and Six Flags Fiesta (save $17 on parking and curb drop off at Fiesta!!)
Cheap Six Flags Fiesta tickets available to purchase in gift shop. You don't have to stand in line to purchase tickets at Fiesta and they're even cheaper at the Westin than the prices online.
Close to shops, restaurants.
Adult pool is separate and a bit secluded from other pools.
Onsite Starbucks.

Cons:
Club Lounge was not always stocked. On a prime summer weekend where the hotel was sold out, they did not keep the club lounge stocked with water/coffee. I won't pay for upgrade to Club Lounge at this Westin. I've been to others that are better.
Hall noise can be loud with kids during the summer.
No shade for baby pool so make sure you have plenty of sunscreen, hats for little ones.
Also bring pool your own pool toys, small floaties as they only have noodles (that I saw). They sell small floaties in the gift shop for $7.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

We are so glad to know that your stay was a success! Please accept our apologies that the Royal Hacienda Lounge wasn't fully stocked when you visited; we have asked the team there to pay closer attention to keeping everything well-stocked. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three days to relax and shop. When we checked in Charlene at the front desk made us feel special and even changed our room to one she felt we would like better. The food was great! We had breakfast buffet both mornings and the omelet was great! The views here were absolutely amazing! Worth the stay here just for that. I loved the adult pool and the waiters and waitresses at the pool worked very hard to keep our needs met. We loved it. I didn't give it five stars only because our bathtub leaked into the carpet both nights after taking a bath. My husband saidbhe thought the overflow drain had a leak. Overall, awesome trip.Oh, rooms were kinda noisy, but I haven't found one that isn't yet

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I've heard a lot about this hotel from friends with children. I've stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country a few years ago, but had heard that La Cantera was the pinnacle of the San Antonio "family" resorts (including Hyatt HC, JW Marriott). Let me just say, "Whaa?"

OK, so we get to the hotel after a drive from our home city, and they've lost our reservation. Maybe my fault, since I never got the confirmation e-mail, but it somehow was not confirmed after booking. I won't hold that against them. They still had a room left for us-hooray! But then I saw why it was still unbooked.

The room smelled a little mildew-y, the rooms and halls looked like they had not been re-designed since-ever?, and it appeared as though the floor near the toilet had not been cleaned well before we arrived. That's a minimum requirement, La Cantera. Blecch. And bleach! (next time, please).

Did I mention the family of 17 (at least it sounded like it) whose every word/shriek/softball joke I could hear through the wall? I felt like we were close friends after getting to know them through the very thin walls. We are having dinner next week together. Not really.

The lobby is pretty nice, and the winding pools are fun for the kids. The mini frozen drinks by the pool are pretty good, but you will pay full price for a dwarfed cup.

The service was pretty good-we had a very friendly, helpful shuttle driver.

Maybe I'm missing something-as I mentioned, I have heard rave reviews from others about this place. Our experience there left me scratching my head though. Hyatt Hill Country was a better experience for a family vacation-cleaner, more room to breathe, and better outside pool-rec areas.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short during your stay. That your room was anything less than perfectly clean is unacceptable, and we are so sorry that noise from other guests disturbed you. Please accept our apologies and know that your comments have been shared with the team to assist in improving the overall guest experience. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.