“Spring break”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #28 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We took a quick trip here over spring break. I called ahead of time to see if pools were heated and was told yes they were. When we arrived, we found out quickly the baby pool and adult pool were not heated at all and the sports pool was 'heated', but only to 72 degrees per the wait staff, which was still very chilly. Main reason we came here was so my kids could swim at their resort style pools, so this was a disappointment. Also, the bottom of the baby pool had a very rough pebble finish. My 21 month old had pretty bad scrapes on her hands and feet because of it. The older kids enjoyed the water slide but it was too cold to stay in water very long as we had hoped.
The pool food is outrageously priced. Our bill was $90 for 3 beers, 2 teas and a few apps.
Overall, hotel is beautiful, views were amazing & room was spacious. Staff was friendly. It is quite expensive though, not sure it's worth the cost, with rate + resort fees.

2  Thank txelle
Write a ReviewReviews (3,474)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Customer service is outstanding and the resort is absolutely gorgeous due to its location. Free shuttle will take you to great outdoor shopping mall. Has a wonderful gym (something I am very picky about), spa, pool area etc.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here for a business meeting. A very nice place. Clean. With character. But perhaps a little dated in decor / style. But maybe they want it that way. Can't put my finger on it, but it is just not as "upscale" feeling as your typical luxury golf resort. But really, there was nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Spent Spring Break with college age kids March 13-16th and the staff was wonderful. Booked both a casita and a room at the main hotel and had a wonderful time. Even though the hotel was full the staff working at the hotel made everyone feel special. We utilized the van for trips to six flags and also the stores at La Cantera. Especially enjoyed the golf cart to get around. The weather was not the greatest but the service from the maids to the coffee shop to the resturants made our spring break vacation special. Would like to return when the weather is warm so we could utilize the pools more. MM

Room Tip: Book a Casita
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and the generous five star review. I am glad to hear that the service you experienced across the resort made up for the unfortunate weather during your spring break vacation. Please know that I have shared your feedback with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon to enjoy the Lost Quarry Pools and all of the other activities available to our guests.

Yolanda Borrego, Reputation Manager
yborrego@destinationhotels.com
210-558-2263

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at La Cantera for one night on our way back home. It was a mix of good and not so great. We were looking forward to a relaxing stay at an upscale hotel. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable but the walls are paper thin. We had to call to the front desk at midnight because of the loud talking etc in the room next to us. The staff did come up and talk to our neighbors which we appreciated.
The weather was bad so we decided to stay at the hotel and eat at Brannon’s Café, big mistake! I should have known a sangria that was “just mixed” by the waiter would not be their best drink. They did exchange it for a glass of wine for me (a much better choice). I ordered grilled chicken with stuffing as a side. The chicken was good but I found a piece of plastic in my stuffing! It was explained that the plastic was not removed when it was heated. The manager was nice and gave us a free dessert. If you are looking for a delicious meal try one of the restaurants at the Rim. Our experience was not worth the price we paid.
We didn't event try eating breakfast at the hotel. We checked out and went elsewhere to eat.
Next morning we called down for a bell man to come pick up luggage, 15 minutes later no one had come up. We went down & they were just standing there not busy at all. Somehow our call was not passed along to the bell men.
Overall we were disappointed with our one night stay.

1  Thank Zoeytravels
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered during your recent visit. Our goal is for you to have an enjoyable, relaxing and wonderful experience throughout the resort and I am sorry that you did not encounter that.

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what happened during your visit so that we can address these issues for future guests.

I hope we can earn your trust again.

Yolanda Borrego, Reputation Manager
210-558-2263
yborrego@destinationhotels.com

Reviewed 15 March 2014

There was both good and bad with the resort. They had a great pool. However since we visited during spring break and we knew it was going to be little cold we called and they assured us the pool was heated. Their definition of heated and mine are a bit different! They think 78F is warm, based on the reaction of everyone at the resort, its not. I could not even get in. Be warned unless you are visiting during the summer the pool will be open, but unusable by all but the most determined!

The views are beautiful, it is so close to Fiesta Texas and great shopping with shuttles to both which is very nice. The resort is big. So if you are on the opposite side of the hotel from the parking lot.. it is a long long walk. The walls are a little thin, so if your neighbors are a little boisterous you will hear them quite well. We were on the first floor next to the tennis courts and kids camps, so we pretty much had to get up when they started. Bottom line it was not the quiet, relaxing time we had wanted.

The rooms were nice and clean, but still pretty standard hotel rooms, nothing special. 2 double beds instead of 2 queens in the room made sleeping a little cramped for us all.

Bottom line, perhaps in the summer when the pool is usable it would be worth the extra cost, but otherwise it is no better than a nice holiday inn or hilton for twice the price.

1  Thank Txaggievet
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I'm a frequent traveler and decided to stay at La Cantera while visiting my sister in San Antonio. Resort is situated view a grand view and property facilities are very nice. However, almost a comedy of customer service issues let me know that for a comparable price I will stay at the JW Marriott next time. Trouble checking in with lost reservation, I was asked to e-mail my online reservation to them to front desk personnel to prove I had made a reservation. It then took three separate trips to my club floor room (each time my key did not open the door). Finally security was called to let me in. Later in stay the car valet lost my keys for about 45-minutes while I waited and was late for an appointment. Separately, a message light was blinking on my phone but hotel personnel couldn't figure out how to retrieve it or turn off the light. Club floor breakfast was understaffed and ran out of food, utensils, and coffee. There were some nice staff, and I might just have hit a coincidence of bad service experiences, but it was just too frustrating for a high end property. Also, be advised that you will be changed and extra $29 per day "resort charge" on top of your room rate. This is in the fine print, so budget it in. Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2014