“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #26 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a short night stay at La Cantera with our young children. The staff really made the experience great! The grounds are beautiful and relaxing. The kids club staff were extremely helpful. Kudos to Vanessa for going out of her way to locate my daughters lost teddy bear! She saved the day!. They also opened the discovery junction so my kids could play in the jump house at request. My wife had an excellent pedicure in the spa. We ate at Brannon's twice and enjoyed the food and the service by Alexis and Alex. I played the Resort course and found it to be an exceptional experience. Pace of play was quick. Don, the starter, was really pleasant and he did a fantastic job of keeping things moving. The course was in fantastic condition. Lots of wildlife as well. Pablo at the valet stand was a bright spot as well. Overall, we were impressed and pleased with the stay on the club level. Would recommend this resort to friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jerico
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Jerico, Thank you for your kind words and amazing review of La Cantera Hill Country Resort. Our team strives to provide each guest a memorable experience and I am glad that we were able to provide that to you! I have shared your feedback with our team so that the associates you mentioned know that they are doing an exceptional job with our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you family (and your daughter's teddy bear) back for a repeat visit very soon.

210-558-2263

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The hotel is sprawling and we were given the wrong directions twice. Finally we found what looked like a service elevator to get to our room. Outside our window was the maintenance area, very noisy. A long hike to the parking lot, unless you pay for valet parking. I don't since I take the car out 2-3 times a day for shopping and food. Left the room at 9AM and did not see housekeeping. Came back at 2:30 and room was still dirty, asked when to expect room to be cleaned and was told before 5. Unbelievable.

• Stayed April 2014
yborrego, Reputation Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to our property. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the resort for the late housekeeping service to your guestroom. We strive to service each room as quickly as possible so that upon return you will enjoy a pristine and clean room each day. I have passed on your detailed comments to our housekeeping department to ensure that this issue is addressed.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and hope you will allow us the opportunity to regain your trust for a repeat visit.

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough about La Cantera, we stayed in one of the casitas which had breath taking views. We had adjoining rooms with heavenly beds for all! The staff went above & beyond to make us comfortable. Having the golf carts were an added plus. Dinner was wonderful & an evening drink with s'mores was perfect! Can't wait to head back for a little more shopping & relax by the pool!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kathiandrepont
LCR_PR_Director, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review of your recent La Cantera Hill Country Resort visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with other tripadvisor travelers.

I was thrilled to read that you had a great experience. Thank you for mentioning our staff, we are so proud of them!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We were there for a conference so did not partake in the many extracurricular activities.
It is a resort so additional fees are present.
The lobby and reception area are big, spacious and provides an inviting ambiance.
The resort is showing some age especially in the guest rooms, which are average. My biggest complaint though in the guest rooms are the poor lighting.

All in all though, quite appealing

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DMMGTM
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for the generous 4 star review of your recent stay at our property. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers. I am glad to hear that you found our overall resort to be appealing and hope to welcome you back for a repeat visit as a leisure guest so that you may have the opportunity to enjoy our many other amenities and activities. I have passed along your feedback regarding guestroom lighting and would be interested to learn what room you were staying in so that we can specifically inspect that room for our future guests.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back for a repeat visit soon.

Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Over the past year, this property was acquired by Destination Hotels. I stayed at the resort 2x last year (June & July) while it was still a Westin property & just spent the last 2 nights there.
Apparently when Westin left they took their "dream beds" with them. Initially thought maybe we just got a lousy room, but our friends experienced the same issue in their room. The beds were very uncomfortable/hard & back ached in the morning for all 4 of us. Huge disappointment, especially considering the price paid to stay there.

Last year the complimentary shuttle to Shops of La Cantera was very timely and would be there in a flash to pick you up. Not sure if they downsized the staffing of shuttles, but while at the shops I was at the designated spot right at the reported pickup time & no shuttle. Figured I must have missed it by a minute, which is no problem & my fault for not being there sooner. After waiting 10min I called the hotel, asked if they could page one to come get me & was told yes, they will page a driver. The shops are right down the hill from the property, approx 1 mile away, but road is not pedestrian friendly. A shuttle should have easily been there within 10min of my call. After waiting 25 minutes I finally had a friend drive me back. VERY disappointed in this.

Aside from the shuttle glitch, the staff is still very friendly, personable & attentive just like when it was Westin. And of course both the main pool & adult pools are very nice, with attentive staff serving both.

In the end I feel bad that I gave glowing reports of this property to our friends, only to have their (and our) backs aching in the morning from the beds...which also made it painful at checkout to hear the amount of the bill for the 2 night stay! Pretty doubtful we'll stay here again & certainly will not recommend it to clients until I know for sure the quality has improved, making it worth the cost.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NicMarv10
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for posting your honest feedback and for being a loyal guest to our property. We are grateful that you chose to stay with us, and are sad to know you weren't completely satisfied with your experience. Please know that since the time of our new management, the guestrooms have not changed including the guestroom beds. I am happy to discuss what room you were in so that we can ensure our future guests have a relaxing stay with us.

I was happy to read that you found our staff to be so attentive, especially at The Lost Quarry Pools. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the resort for your experience with our shuttle service. I have shared your comments with our leadership to be used in our ongoing process improvements.

As a loyal La Cantera guest, your review is important to us and I hope that you will be willing to provide us another opportunity to earn your trust back. Please contact me personally to help arrange for your next visit.

boulder, co
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Was here for a business event. First giveaway -- memorable properties never describe themselves as "upscale" in marketing literature. Second, guard shacks and lengthy driveways have nothing to do with the quality of a property. A visitor can certainly be cajoled into thinking that they are visiting a discerning property by the approach, lobby, and friendly arrival, but I found the room and customer service to be decidedly more reminiscent of a low-middling chain hotel. Simple tasks (dry cleaning suit, printing documents) were received quizzically by young, unsophisticated staff who while thoroughly unhelpful were admittedly bright-spirited in their futility. I'm sure the golf is fun (looks like a great course), but the entire property is in need of a comprehensive makeover from top to bottom in order to ever remotely approach "upscale." While I think my colleague's departure quip was a bit draconian, he referred to the property as a "Holiday Inn Express on a hill, with a golf course, nice driveway, and nice lobby."

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank dylanjefferies
LCR_PR_DIrector, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the resort for the lack of service you experienced during your recent visit. We strive to provide each guest with unparalleled customer service and it is clear to me that we did not deliver this to you.

I have shared your comments with our leadership team and our trainers, and assure you that the issues you experienced will be addressed.

My contact information is listed below. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business and trust again.

Boston
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Great resort - the large adult Jacuzzi with panoramic views; the whole pool area, the restaurant and the overall ambience and service were all highlights. Indeed the entire place was a highlight and I wish I had been on vacation not business. That said, the meeting rooms and conference facilities were top notch. Will be back at the 1st opportunity!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelwriterBoston
Thank you for your generous 5 star review of our service, cleanliness and sleep quality. We strive to provide a pristine and comfortable guestroom and delivering warm and welcoming hospitality. I am pleased that we delivered that to you and your group.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.