“pleasant family stay”

Ranked #26 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Friendswood, Texas, United States
“pleasant family stay”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

upgraded our floor and wow, we really enjoyed it. view of fireworks, evening snacks which was a meal and so was breakfast, free drinks (sodas) was a huge treat for kids. pools are small but still refreshing and room to move around. homemade ice cream is great, must try the peanut butter. check in/out was alittle slow, had a charge from mini bar and didnt even take key but was removed after we called to advise. staff was all friendly. love to go back and do walking trails, smores at night were another nice treat. movie had blankets for all to sit on and free popcorn. we felt like roayalty and hope to go back soon.

1 Thank Alisa C
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Alisa,
Thank you for the 4 star review of your recent La Cantera Hill Country Resort stay and for sharing photos of your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We strive to provide a memorable and enjoyable experience and I was thrilled to read that you "felt like royalty" while you were with us on our Royal Hacienda floor. The view of the fireworks from Six Flags Fiesta Texas is exceptional and I am glad that you and your family were able to enjoy that together.

Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the resort for the incorrect mini-bar charge on your final bill. I am glad to hear that our team was able to correct that for you. My contact information is listed below should there be anything else that needs to be addressed. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon to experience the La Cantera Nature Trail and so much more.

yborrego@destinationhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This is an absolutely beautiful facility to hold conferences in. It is convenient to San Antonio Airport. The location in the hill country along with Six Flags next door provides great opportunities for families to truly enjoy. The food and service were wonderful. The golf course is breath taking.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your most recent stay at La Cantera Hill Country Resort for the NIB National conference. I am thrilled to read that you found our property to be an "absolutely beautiful facility to hold conferences." I will pass along your kind words to our event specialists so that they know it was a job well done. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back as a return guest soon and possibly get you out onto the golf course for a round or two!

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our La Cantera experience was a class act from start to finish. Came for a short stay and it was the perfect breather during a busy summer. The property and views are gorgeous and we had no trouble securing a hill country view room at check-in. The entire staff was warm and accommodating, from the front desk to housekeeping, room service, valet, kids' club, spa and poolside service. For being an "older" property, we were impressed with the amenities and everything seemed to be in good shape. The room was comfortable, clean and QUIET, the bathroom was super spacious, room service always arrived in a consistently timely manner and the food was yummy. (We were also able to order Dominos one night and it was delivered in no time at all, which was nice for our picky kiddos.) We utilized the shuttle to get to The Shops at La Cantera. It was right on time picking up and dropping off, it was also clean and well air conditioned. The Shops did not disappoint. The Kids' Club exceeded our expectations and our children didn't want to leave, the staff/child ratio was awesome and the activities were inclusive and exciting for both kids, even with a pretty wide age range (4 and 10). Discovery Junction was also well-staffed and our kids enjoyed it. We went for deep tissue massages at the spa- ask for Tammy, she's fantastic! The spa experience was a treat and the atmosphere was serene and professional. S'mores by the pool and the nighttime movie on the lawn were really fun. The pool was the highlight, my singular complaint was that the pool area was SO popular that it seemed the staff had a hard time keeping up with the trash bins/ left-behind drink cups, etc. around the pools, at least in the family section - specifically near the water slide. There was also a bit of a problem with mud and water on the path in that area but they did their best to remedy that by laying down some mats for traction. That being said, it was pure heaven sunbathing in the lounge chairs with a mai tai. Poolside, it was faster to initiate service at the counter but the food got to us quickly and was great! We spent most of our time on the water slide, it was staffed 100% of the time for safety and that made a good thing even better. The family pools were lively but not loud or out of control, everyone was just having fun and respecting everyone else. We heard that La Cantera will be undergoing a major renovation later this year and we can't WAIT to come back and experience an updated version of this already fabulous resort. Minor complaints, overall positive, relaxing and kid-friendly experience. Our family's new favorite in-state getaway!

Room Tip: We heard the city view is awesome, but being from the city, we went for the peaceful hill country/go...
2 Thank 892mjk
WOW thank you for the generous 4 star review and detailed feedback regarding your stay. Our team strives to provide a memorable and enjoyable experience to each of our guests and I am glad that we were able to provide that to you. I will be passing along your comments to our resort leadership for review so that the mentioned departments can be recognized and the issues you detailed can be addressed for our future guests. As you mentioned, we will be undergoing an extensive transformation later this year that will touch almost every part of the resort. We look forward to your return so that you and your family will be able to experience all that La Cantera will have to offer.

210-558-2263, yborrego@destinationhotels.com
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from La Cantera a couple of weeks ago. We stayed for a short weekend. Hubby played golf on the Resort Course while I spent the day at the pool. He loved the course and always finds it a great challenge. As for the pool - it really is small for such a large property. I got some inside scoop from one of the workers there that they are about to go through a big renovation this winter, so hopefully the pool will be part of that plan.

When I called to book, the reservation person suggested we book one of their Casita rooms. This is a little "village" of accommodations near the golf pro shop. Each of these "bungalow" type rooms is built around a small pool in a very rustic setting. Each casita is assigned a personal "golf cart" to help you get back and forth between the village and the main building. It was a great spot to get away from the hustle and bustle of the main hotel building. Being as this is the height of summer, there were lots of families here. They have a free shuttle to take you back and forth to Six Flags Fiesta Texas across the road, as well as the high end La Cantera Shopping Mall.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do during their renovation... I'm sure we'll be back!

Room Tip: Spring for a room in the Casita Village if you want to get away from the chaos of the main hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for the generous 4 star review of your recent stay at La Cantera Hill Country Resort. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Casita Village and that your husband enjoyed his time on the Resort Course. As you mentioned, we are planning an extensive transformation of the property later this year that will update and enhance almost every part of the resort including our pools, spa, dining experiences and so much more. I am thrilled to hear that you will be back and we look forward to welcoming you once again!

210-558-2263, yborrego@destinationhotels.com
Taylor, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We enloyed a short stay here with our daughter and our grandchildren while visiting Six
Flags Fiesta. The kids loved the play pools and we loved the ambiance of the resort. All of us had a great time both at Six Flags and at the resort. The shuttle was great to Six Flags for getting there and back again, as well as for visiting the shops at La Conterra. We plan to return!
The staff is very professional, outgoing, and caring. We had a great time. Ouir two rooms had a fantastic 5th floor view of the pools. This resort is comparable to any of the great resorts we have enjoyed in Europe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear James, Thank you so much for the amazing 5 star review of our property. I was so happy to read that you, your daughter and grandchildren enjoyed your stay. I appreciate you mentioning our professional and outgoing staff; we are humbled by the amazing people that work here. I will make sure to pass along your kinds comments. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business again.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful location. However, it cost more to get a taxi to take me there than the train to get to San Antonio! I would've liked a shuttle but they don't even have one to the airport. Guess I'm used to D/FW. It's not just them. Doesn't seem to be a San Antone thing. Anyway, the taxi they recommended was kind of old and smelly, but other than that start, it was great being in "nature" but with city amenities within walking (or shuttle) distance! All the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The trainer/HR person is to be commended. If you do choose to stay in this lovely, full of fun activities, resort, it comes with a price. While your pool towels, some events and delicious iced tea/lemonade are complimentary many things are not. Valet, business center ($5/15 min), some kids' activities can add up fast. They have deals from time to time so look one up or if you have the resources, pack your bags! Worth the trip.

• Stayed July 2014
WOW, thank youf for the 5 star review and for letting us know that we are “Arguably the best place I've ever stayed!” We strive to provide warm and authentic hospitality and I am pleased that we were able to deliver this to you. I hope to welcome you back as a return guest to property soon.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you do not have kids and are interested in a weekend of golf and spa treatments then don’t come here!! Go find a nice hotel close by, like the Elian, and schedule tee times at the courses, which are both really fun to play and breathtakingly beautiful. The guest are all there for the theme parks, so there are screaming kids running around everywhere. We discovered that there are two and three families camping out in one room. We should have figured this out when we made the reservations as they asked if we wanted one room with two beds for two couples. We laughed then and assured the girl that we were in our fifties and no longer in college. Making the reservations took forever and we chalked it up to dealing with a trainee on the phone. They emailed our confirmation, which should have been yet another red flag, as she booked the rooms for June instead of July. When we got to the hotel we were met with another trainee. We gave her our names and she started with the name game…Mary?, no. Beth?, no, Alice?, NO…after our experience with making the reservations we started to panic and then an experienced receptionist stepped in and found our rooms. The guests to staff ratio is grossly inadequate, even for just one family per room. We could never get into the spa because it was under staffed (I think there was only one masseuse and after giving the girl the 3rd degree we found out the masseuse didn’t come in until after 3:00). The restaurants are half empty, but they cannot seat you because they do not have enough wait staff. Our first evening there I went to the Specialty restaurant to get a table for 6 (some friends from SA met us), the restaurant was almost empty but the hostess told me she could not accommodate 6. I noted that the restaurant was empty and then she started reading from a script about the power being turned off. She told me to try Brannon’s downstairs, which we did. They did seat us and the service was very slow. I would like to note that ALL the staff are very friendly and very gracious, they are just overwhelmed. While some of the staff are clueless, they are very sweet and very accommodating. My issue was not with the staff, but rather management. If anything I felt sorry for the staff. The hotel is just poorly managed. After finishing our dinner the first night at 10:00 pm, we headed up to the lobby for a drink. When we got there it looked more like a Chucky Cheese than a high end resort. There were kids everywhere running around screaming with some parents sleeping in chairs. It was crazy.
When we got to the Resort course for a 9:00 am tee time only our friends clubs had been delivered to the club house, which was an innocent mistake, as the tee time was made in their name, but frustrating nonetheless.
After golf and lunch at the club house we went back to the hotel to sit by the pool. We were never informed that there was an adult only pool hidden away so we endured the screaming splashing kids at the main pool (many attempts at nicely asking kids to go splash and scream somewhere else). We explored the resort a little more that evening and that is when we discovered the adults only pool, thank you thank you thank you!! Again we tried to get into the Specialty restaurant and again we were turned away. We again went downstairs to Brannon’s only to be told there was a 45 minute wait with a half empty dining room. When we pointed that out the hostess and the gentleman with her, she explained that they do not have enough waiters so the restaurant cannot accommodate full compacity. She told us we could go sit outside at the bar and wait. We said you will come out and get us, right? They looked at each other and then looked at us like we had just given them a calculus equation. We asked how are we supposed to know when the table is ready if you don’t come get us, and finally something clicked …oh oh okay we will come find you. We hadn’t been outside for more than 5 minutes when the young man comes and tells us our table is ready. We explain to him that we just ordered drinks and we ask if he could please have them send the drinks to our table inside and again the clueless look. We opt to wait for the drinks. Once seated inside with our drinks, we order the trio starter and the waiter brings it, but that is the last we see of him. He never comes back to our table, We flag down bus boys, ask the hostess to find our waiter, he never shows up. Finally the manager comes over and apologizes profusely and he takes our order and does not write anything down (we were ordering cocktails and dinner, so we knew this was not going to end well). The food and drinks come and it was my order that got skipped. He was again very apologetic and very nice. Like I said the staff is very nice and they try very hard, they just do not have enough support. The manager did end up comping our dinner, we kept telling him it wasn’t necessary but he insisted. Our third day went off with no glitches, only because we found the adult pool and we didn’t eat at the resort. The only issue was that housekeeping was cleaning our friends room around 5:45 pm when we needed to be getting ready for the evening (had just finished ours but very sloppily, messy bed, dirty dishes left in the room, etc).
We went to check out Sunday around 11:00 and it was total mayhem in the lobby and porte cochere. We could not get any help with our bags so we each had at make two trips to lug our bags down and then we find out they do not have mine and my husbands golf clubs. They told us they were sent down to the Palmer course even though we did not have a scheduled tee time. The poor bellman called the Palmer only to be told they didn’t have them, so he and my husband went to the Resort club to look for them, but they were not there. I asked to look in the hotels luggage room to see for myself (the room is tiny) and they were not there. They call the Palmer again and describe the bags and finally someone at the Palmer locates them. It was an ordeal!
We had a good laugh about all the drama but we will not be going back. It is geared too much toward the theme park crowd for these empty nesters!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stephanie K
Dear Stephanie, I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay at our property. We strive to provide each guest with unparalleled customer service and it is clear to me that we did not deliver this to you. Please accept my apology on behalf of the resort as there is no excuse for less than stellar service. I appreciate you mentioning that our staff was so gracious and accommodating throughout your stay and I would like to assure you that we are continually focusing on service training with our seasoned and new associates. I have shared your comments with our resort leadership team and I assure you that the issues you described will be addressed. My contact information is listed below and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business and trust back again.