“Great Visit ended with a SNOOTY SPA”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“Great Visit ended with a SNOOTY SPA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Our deluxe king room was in good condition. The balcony overlooking the golf course. We were provided with a key for the mini bar if needed. Our bags, valet and roll away all arrived in lightning speed. The hotel bathroom offers a rain shower with all toiletries needed, the toilet is enclosed. The room had two bath robes. I usually never use them but these are a must! The mini bar fridge offers no room for your own milk, bring a cooler for snacks. Coolers are not allowed in the pool area but they have a bar and food service at your chair. Their convenience store offers, Starbucks, Very good sandwiches and homemade ice cream. The kids club is great for camp or to just visit. We went with our daughter for about an hour to play with their arts and crafts. You can drop off your children if you wish for $10 per hour. They have a seperate room for video games. The staff for the children are warm, engaging and professional. The pool area is small but it offered plenty to do including a slide that empty' into a 3.5 feet of water. They have safety slip mats all the way to the slide. They offer zero entry kids pool, water volleyball net, shallow lap pool, adult only pool and 2 jacuzzi's for both adults only an family. Pool towels are offered near the bar area. In addition golf and hiking is available. Breakfast buffet at "Brannon's" was very good with made to order eggs, omelets, an waffles. The service was fast and friendly. We also enjoyed a movie outside, they provide free popcorn and blankets. The fitness area has everything you would need to get in a good workout. The locker room has showers, sauna, toilets, coded lockers, hair dryer and all the items you would need to get ready for the day. The SPA staff is very snooty and territorial about the locker room. When you walk in they immediately ask to help you but it's only to assess weather you are their for spa services. They make you feel as a guest of the hotel that you are not welcome to use the locker room if you are not a paying guest of the spa. I used it anyway regardless of their snobby attitude. We stayed after checkout and had the hotel hold our bags until we were ready to leave. Valet was quick to deliver our car and bags. All was wonderful except their snooty spa associates who are paid such a high salary they can afford to offend hotel guests.

Stayed August 2014
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I first would like to thank you for the generous 4 star review of your recent stay at our property and the detailed comments of all of the activities you were able to experience such as the pool, Kids' Club, movie on the lawn and fitness area. I would like to apologize on behalf of the resort for the experience you encountered when using the locker room. Our goal is to provide exceptional customer service to each of our guests across all outlets of the resort and it is clear that this is not what you encountered. I have passed your comments along to the Spa Director so that the issue you experienced can be addressed for our future guests.

I appreciate your valuable feedback and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business back.

La Cantera Hill Country Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Longview, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family stayed in the casitas & had a great visit. The kids loved having the golf cart to explore the property.
The property was beautiful & the room was casita was large and comfortable. The resort offered a free shuttle to nearby restaurants & shopping at The Shops at La Cantera - really convenient.
Also enjoyed seeing the fireworks from nearby Six Flags each night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights in for a meeting. They did a great job with the meeting facilities. The resort is close to a nice mall with multiple dining options. Overall this was a good hotel but very neutral in terms of overall experience. Nothing good or bad quite frankly.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Was travelling alone on business. This is definitely a FAMILY place. Toddlers, babies, children EVERYWHERE. I had opted for a room on the concierge floor thinking it would be quiet and private, but was awakened each morning by families staying on this floor. For some reason they would spill their children into the hallway at 7 AM and allow them to scream and cry. I suppose that is not the hotel's fault, but I usually find concierge floors to be more suitable to the business traveler than this hotel's concierge floor. Otherwise the bed was comfy, the room was clean. I used the fitness center every day and it was not crowded. The nature trail around the resort is a nice feature. The food was a little disappointing for this higher rated hotel, but maybe I'm too picky. It was all kind of mushy and generic. Conference rooms/center were fine.

Room Tip: Part of the hotel configuration is a "u" or horseshoe shape. So corner rooms that face th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
McAllen, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We got there and my kids were very excited to get to the hotel at las Casitas which is expensive. Once arrived they lost my son's tempur-pedic pillow, called lost n found they never returned my call. Also, on bed medium size spiders (I jump off bed wow!!!). Rooms were not clean (a lot insects on floor as well as spider webs everywhere). Air condition too loud. At last I had it with room service when they knock to pick up the plates (the person was rude. Before when it was owned by Westin we had never experience anything like we did this time. It is a Great Resort but I was completely disappointed overall.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 09012014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our property. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the resort for the multiple issues that you encountered during your stay. I have passed along your comments to our resort leadership for review and I assure you that the issues you encountered in the Casita Village will be addressed. I am also in the process of following up with our security team about your missing pillow. If you can contact me back at 210-558-2263 or by email at yborrego@destinationhotels.com, I will be able to get more information on your lost item.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business back.

At your service,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Spent two nights at this wonderful resort with our 2 grand daughters. Everything was more than expected. The staff was extremely friendly. Check in smooth, room clean & nicely furnished. The view from our balcony was so beautiful. Friday evening my granddaughter and I stood on the balcony for about 15 minutes and watched the sun gradually fade away. There are lots of activities for kids, some incurred an additional charge. They had a blast in the pool and enjoyed the movie under the stars on the lawn. My husband and I enjoyed the morning walk along the trail. Would love to go back soon! Only had a meal at pool side, the usual fare.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the 5 star review and taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay at our property. I am glad to hear that you and your granddaughters were able to enjoy a selection of our activities and take in the beautiful views of the Texas Hill Country sunset. We hope to welcome you and your family back for a repeat visit soon!

Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was pleased with our choice of this hotel as it was good quality and in a good location just minutes away from Six Flaggs. It was clean and the beds were comfy - although double beds felt a little on the small side. We only had food in the hotel on one occasion - from the poolside bar and this was good for the type of food we were ordering.
The pool service was good and the drinks reasonably priced - the clean up service could have been better, there was not enough staff to clear away dirty plates and drink glasses. There was lots of activities for children if that is what you are looking for.
I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
yborrego, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Janet, Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We strive to provide a memorable and relaxing experience to each of our guests and I am glad that we were able to provide this to you. I appreciate you saying that you would return for a repeat visit and we look forward to welcoming you back for another hill country getaway very soon.

Yolanda Borrego, Reputation Manager