“Great hotel for business near Med Center”

Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center
Ranked #103 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
New York City, New York
“Great hotel for business near Med Center”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Fortunately, I have been very lucky with hotels in San Antonio and the Staybridge was another great choice. Staff was very attentive and customer-focused and check-in was a breeze. It must be a Texas thing! Room itself was clean, smartly furnished and had a good wi-fi signal. Only thing I would do is probably update the desk chairs to a more ergonomic model. Both breakfast and the evening social hour food component were decent with plenty of choices and staff available if you needed anything. Plenty of wine and beer available as well!. Housekeeping did a good job keeping room clean. Just remember that Staybridge only does a light cleaning service for stays under 7 days. I would definitely choose this hotel again on business in San Antonio.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out on inner courtyard were very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
DanielFOM28, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear UpTownLes, Thank you for the great comments! We, as a staff, love to hear that we made your stay enjoyable and memorable.We look forward to any future visits you may have at our hotel,Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2013

First thing, I was traveling with my wife and three kids (5,8,10) so a little separation in a hotel room is a big bonus. This room was a King one-bedroom with double doors for the bedroom and a foldout couch in the living room. It also had a nice, small and well stocked kitchen with a bar/bar stools for meals. There were LCD TVs in both rooms with a DVD/VCR player in the living room along with a selection of DVDs in the lobby that guests could check out (very nice touch!).

The bed was comfortable, nice pillows and pretty clean. Nice, comfortable chairs, decent towels and very quiet. We never heard a noise from the other rooms and I know that there was an occupied room next door. Another big bonus! Plus there was free and very fast WiFi that never had a glitch even when I had to update my tablet's OS over the air.

Now, for the negatives: We never used the telephone in the room but it really should be taken out and burned. It looked like it was from the early 80's and I was afraid to touch it based on the yellowish color. Not sure if it was dirty or just old, but I wasn't taking a chance. Also, the room looked very nice and mostly clean, but there were some rust stains on the vent above the shower and some over-painting in several locations that made it look like it was in need of a refresh. Not a big deal, but not great. Lastly, we found a couple of crushed up crackers in the foldout bed so I'm not sure how thoroughly cleaned it was before we moved in, although the linens were nice and clean.

All that being said, they still get 5 stars for one reason: the staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful! I feel like a real schmuck for not jotting down their names, but the girl who checked us in was genuinely friendly and went overboard to make sure we were all set in the room and the girl who ran the breakfast room was attentive and cheerful. Not to mention that the breakfast was actually very good with even some fresh fruit, cheeses and tomatoes thrown in with the standard eggs, sausages and waffles. I didn't get a chance to speak with the manager, but he/she is obviously doing something right to have such a great staff.

We will definitely stay there again when we are back in town!

Room Tip: We had room #239 which was in the far-right corner with only one room adjacent. Very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Craig T
vpt4320, Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
CraigT. I appreciate your honest feedback and I first want to Thank you for pointing out what a great staff we have. I truly feel fortunate to have a staff that cares. My apologies for the minor issues you experienced and I've addressed the cleanliness issues with my Management staff. The telephones, although, a bit outdated are cleaned thoroughly. I will definitely do some research on what it would take to update our phones, however, I appreciate your honesty. We hope your next visit to beautiful San Antonio you consider our property. Again, Thank you for your feedback and I will share this with the entire staff. Thank you.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We have been to quite a few Staybridge Suites but this location was a level above. With a positive, helpful staff, this four night visit went smoothly. The rooms were clean, the suite was fully prepared and no kitchen items were missing. Everything was spotless!
Each breakfast was delicious and the morning servers were delightful! They offered to make it perfect if anything ran out or was low and did it with a smile.
The weekend rate was very appealing since we had business on Friday and Monday. We used the "reading room " to conduct a small meeting with two people on Monday morning from 10:00-12:00 and found it to be ideal' .
The exercise room was clean and well maintained. We did not need the business enter since we had our own computers in the suite.
We met three different families staying there while undergoing serious treatment / transplants at the local VA hospital. They were really very pleased with the facilities and the environment too. It exceed3d their expectations.
The outdoor seating areas are very pleasant even in January. I saw two people take advantage of the heated pool but I'm not that hardy!
The assortment of DVDs' to borrow are quiet nice but the book assortment was lacking. We did not request to borrow any board games.
We'll return to this location next month. We were quite pleased with the value for the money. The area is very nie and there are many good restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor near the end and heard nothing despite being by a street.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ToriPlanoTexas
DanielFOM28, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Staybridge Suites San Antonio -NW Colonnade. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here twice over the last year - both for extended stays and the staff were fabulous!
The front desk is very helpful and everyone goes out of their way to be helpful and just say "hi".
The rooms are nice and large and the beds are fairly comfortable - not like home, but good.
The happy hour and breakfasts are so nice and we really enjoyed meeting people down there when we went. The pool is nice and clean. It may not be fancy - but it is heated! We loved it.

The only downfalls we had were the light switches in the bathrooms which were oddly placed outside of the actual toilet/shower. This made going at night hard as you turn on the light and it wakes everyone up before you can get in the door and close it. Minor - but annoying. We also had the air conditioning unit above our thrid floor room on our last visit which bugged my husbandwith it's thumping sound - but I could ignore it.These are really minor things... we would definitely stay there again.

The people, cleanliness and location make it a great place to stay!!!

Room Tip: They are all very nice!!! Stayed on the first floor last July. Really nice and convenient. Third fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EJL5208

We greatly appreciate your return stay with our hotel and I will notify our staff on the wonderful feedback you have provided.

Sincerely ,
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for an after-Christmas vacation/getaway with our 17 year old son. Nice location - about 20 minutes to SeaWorld, 20 minutes to the RiverWalk/Alamo, about 20 minutes to some nice shopping areas. About 2 blocks from a Starbucks, and lots of restaurants close-by. It's just off of I-10, but tucked away in an office park area, so it's quiet and on a low-traffic street. We stayed in a 1-bedroom suite....our son took the pull-out sleeper sofa, and it was nice to have sleeping areas separated by a door, with 2 TV's in the suite. The kitchen was nice - with a dishwasher, full-size refrigerator with ice maker, microwave, cook top, and plates/glasses/silverware/etc. The closet was large. The bathroom/shower was fine, good water pressure. Our room and the hotel were very clean. The hotel looks like it was recently remodeled. We didn't use the heated pool or basketball court, but they looked nice. Breakfast was decent with a variety of hot and cold foods. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We had some problems with the wireless internet and with the toilet in our room, but the manager cheerfully and apologetically made it right when we checked out, so I can't complain. All in all it was a good stay. I would recommend this hotel because it was reasonably-priced (for a 1-bedroom suite), in a nice location, was quiet, and had a full breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MRG92
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Staybridge Suites San Anotnio NW-Colonnade. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team.The recommendation is much appreciated and we are happy to know that you had such a wonderful stay at our property .

Sincerely ,
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We were visiting SeaWorld October 2012. This hotel offered a one bedroom suite for $75/night. It was 20 minutes from SeaWorld, yet still worth the short drive,
They have a reception dinner Sun-Thurs with an unlimited amount of beer on draft. The pool could use some updating. It was just a heated rectangle..nothing special. The basketball court was nice and the outside area was fenced and well-tended. The room was clean and the front desk called within 20 minutes after check-in to ask about our satisfaction.
This hotel is near the medical center so there were a lot of people at the hotel that were treating at the hospital. I saw one woman walking around with a port in her neck..but that's ok, people get sick. There was another woman talking about her bone marrow transplant...strange indeed for a family trip to SeaWorld but everyone was nice, regardless.
They had a laundry room with a free washer and dryer. This came in handy after a spill on our clothes. We had no problems except the business next door..I think to the West... had their dumpsters emptied at 5am, which woke me from a deep slumber. I'd ask to have a room on the East side..maybe facing the pool area next time. However, we'd stay here again. We took advantage of the free movie rentals and late night snacks at the on-site grocery.

Room Tip: Avoid the West side of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Staybridge Suites San Antonio -NW Colonnade . It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team . I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

This property is located near USAA and other major businesses in San Antonio. The check-in process was quick and professional, and the clerk gave an excellent review of the property's amenities.

I noticed the slight smell of cleaning supplies as soon as I walked in; and the room smelled the same way. However, the room was clean, and large, with two flat-panel TVs.

The front clerk also gladly provided us with lots of ice after check-in and before the ice-maker in the room started to produce. We skipped breakfast, which had an average layout and food, not enough to make us attend the free breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TimelessAmerican
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW-Colonnade. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments regarding our cleaning supplies with our team . I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.