“Great hotel for an extended stay”

Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center
Ranked #100 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
“Great hotel for an extended stay”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have to say when I booked this room on priceline.com I was dissapointed at first because we got a 3-Star hotel. We were worried about the quality and cleanliness of the hotel. However, once we arrived at the hotel, we were surprised with the cleanliness and the quality of the hotel.

The carpets were clean in the hallways and the common areas like the dining room. The hotel room was good. We stayed in a queen bedroom. However, the first night (we stayed for 3 nights) we didn't sleep good because the bed was old. The box spring was squeaking and the mattress was old and not fluffy. We learned our lesson that day that before unpacking, we need to try the bed out first. Once we complained the next day, the manager moved us out to another room of the same type and this one was definitely a whole lot better. From that switch, we just as well would have been staying in a 3.5-Star quality hotel. The manager told us that the only reason it's not a 3.5 Star hotel was because they didn't have room service.

The kitchen was clean and it had two burners, service for 3, a dishwasher, sink and a full size coffe maker. There was a computer desk with a comfortable computer chair. The "sitting/dining/living" room was good and it had a high quality, sturdy sofa-bed. The bathroom was clean, but there was nothing to it. The closet had a lot of shelves and a separate comforter set for the sofa bed, in case we needed them.

As of the date we stayed, the carpet had just been installed, so it was very plush.

The breakfast buffet was very good, however, they didn't serve any kind of potatoes. (I like potatoes with my breakfast) They also have a "Sundowner" which is a light meal with drinks and beer from Tuesday to Thursday evenings. Nothing for the weekends though.

We would definitely stay here again if the need arises. (Meaning if we have to stay for an extended period of time.)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fort Worth
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We came to San Antonio to celebrate my son's 3rd birthday at Sea World. We stayed 3 nights over a weekend. I picked this hotel after much research and was very pleased with my choice. This is more of an extended stay hotel, so on the weekends there is hardly anybody there, which was really nice. It is right off the highway, but down a side street - a little difficult to find.

We stayed in a one room suite with a king bed and a fold-out sleeper sofa. The room was very huge by my standards. The one thing that made me choose a hotel like this is for the almost full-size kitchen. You had a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, dishes, cooking utensils, etc. It was handy to have a place to keep drinks, especially for my son. One other reason I chose this hotel was their free breakfast - and hot breakfast I might add. They had something for everyone, including froot loops and fruit for my son!

All parts of the hotel were very nice and very clean. It is a fairly new hotel and it shows. The pool was a nice size and lots of tables to sit around the pool. They even had 2 nice gas grills any hotel guest could use. We made use out of their free laundry room - very handy. The free wifi internet was an added plus - some hotels charge $9.99 a day for this service.

The room was very clean, bathroom was large, king bed was comfortable; however, the sleeper sofa was not comfortable at all (although I have never slept on was that was really comfortable). My only complaint was that there was only 1 small trash can in the room. Since there is no cleaning service on the weekend, we had to take our own trash outside just about every day.

This hotel was real close to Sea World and was only about a 12 minute drive to the Riverwalk. I will definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 8 August 2009

In all, my party booked three rooms. I booked them by phone at the same time and let the front desk know when we checked in but somehow my family ended up scattered to the four winds of the hotel. We weren't remotely close to each other.

Pros:
- Hotel rooms were clean
- Lots of recreation within the hotel: Basketball courts, swimming pool up to 5 feet deep, and an outside grilling area with fairly large nice grills (we didn’t use them)
- Reasonable distance from Sea World and River Walk
- Free breakfast with plenty to choose from
- Internet is free
- Parking is free and I felt safe in the parking lot
- The exercise room had cable machines for weight lifting

Cons:
- Hallways and stairways were dirty
- One of the rear entrances was busted so that anyone could come into the building
- When someone does use those nice grills, you can smell BBQ throughout the hallways
- In the workout room, there were only two pins which limited how many people could work out at once
- The one elevator is pretty slow
- If you don’t know exactly were you are going, the place is easy to miss on the first pass (good luck looping back around)

Overall, I wasn’t let down or impressed. I liked the La Quinta on the other side of the highway better. It had a better breakfast (far better) and I don’t think they would have scattered my family all over the hotel because the last time I stayed with them they let the wife and I pick what floor we wanted to stay on.

Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed 28 July 2009

This stop was the third night on a cross country drive. Thought I had booked a king room but when we walked in we were greeted by a huge two bedroom suite with kitchenette! A very good deal for the money! Spacious and clean we were very happy to stay the night and sad to have to leave so early the next day. Staff was helpful and courteous. The free breakfast was not high quality, but was free and hot.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey Shore
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We booked this hotel after checking out places to stay on Trip Advisor. I made reservations for June 3 - 7 2009. We traveled with 4 adults, a 2 year old and an infant. We drove 1800 miles from New Jersey to San Antonio and arrived in San Antonio earlier than anticipated. I called the hotel from the road and asked if we would be able to check in early (11:00 am) or at least use the pool and relax while our room was cleaned. The man at the desk said he would see what he could do to get us in and when we got there our suite was ready for us. Everyone we encountered was helpful and friendly. Our 1 bedroom suite room was very clean and large enough for us to be comfortable. The pool area is very nice, we bought steaks and cooked on the grill with my son when he had base leave that Saturday. The complimertary breakfast in the morning was fabulous, a full breakfast of eggs, meat, toast ,waffles juice coffe, etc. Couldn't ask for anything better. And on a few of the nights we were there there was food in the evening also. It was very easy to get on the highway and it was a short ride to the Air Force Base.

2 Thank NewJerseySunset
Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Hi all, I am a veteran Staybridge Suites traveler. We always get the 2 bedroom 2 bath, so there are plenty of beds/tvs/ rooms for everyone to stretch out....however....
I do have one complaint here...the smell of smoking form the rooms/floor above (?).It was extreme...I am a former smoker so this bothers me immensely. I may consider leaving the pups at home next time so I can stay in a Westin or somewhere that is completely smoke-free. Everything in our suitcases has to be washed....AGAIN upon arriving home. Apparently they have a car break-in problem. We came home at 3 pm one afternoon and at 5pm there was a car next to ours with the window busted out and glass all over the parking lot.. Hotel could also use a little more TLC....they rarely empty the common area trash (like once a week). The pool gate was broken and tied open so that anyone off the street could gain access to the property.
On the positive note, 2 out of three beds were great. Most amenities were fine...wish they would do something about the smell of smoke wafting..........

Little Rock, AR
Reviewed 7 July 2009

My family and i stayed here for our first family vaction. The exterior of the hotel was clean and attractive. Location is great for Seaworld travelers. Good places to eat nearby and there are grocery stores nearby to stock your kitchen.

Check-in was fast and no hassles. Upon entering the suite, it was a little smaller than what i had imagined....but still plenty roomy for my family of four. Our room had just been renovated and the contractors left behind a little bit of a mess (wadded up masking tape). The hair dryer had a long hair sticking out of the end of it and throughout our stay on the workdesk, there were these little ant-like bugs on it. Our DVD player did not work. These are my only gripes. To me they were minor... given the low rate of 89 bucks a night that i got on an advance purchase deal.

The positives were greater than the negatives. The staff were very polite and professional. The little 24/7 BridgeMart store is very convenient and not a rip off. Free laundry facilty was a plus (you provide your own soap & fabric softener, they have it for cheap at the bridgemart). The breakfasts were GREAT (thanks Kay!!!). The sleeper sofa had a comfortable mattress for my kids to sleep on and our bed was so comfortable that we slept great. The hotel Wi-Fi was plenty fast and it's free. Air conditioning unit kept our room cool as a cucumber. It was great to have a kitchen in the room too. The hotel provides dishes & silverware in the room and yes...they were clean. The outdoor pool was just the right size...felt great to stretch out and swim when we got there after our long drive. You can check out free DVD movies at the front desk. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would probably stay here again.