“Ideal Airport Hotel”

Ranked #84 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
philadelphia
“Ideal Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

I really enjoyed my stay. The rooms are spacious, clean and modern. The property offers a great lobby and an open design that is very refreshing for the regular business traveler. The breakfast buffet is $10.00, and modest room service is offer in the evenings from 5-10pm.

My bed was very comfortable and the king size room is large enough for a family of four. There is a Target and Walgreen's about 3/4 mile away, and a free shuttle service will pick you up and drop you off at both the airport and the immediate local area. The hotel is off the highway, and about 8 minutes from the airport.

There are a couple of minor downsides: the location is next to a car dealership with big bright lights, and about a $35 cab ride each way from downtown. The pool is very small; it is more of a really big hot tub then a pool.

Nevertheless, this hotel is perfect for the person requiring an overnight stay near the airport; for the business traveler conducting business in/and around the airport; perfect for the young family traveling the highway seeking a clean, comfortable and inexpensive overnight stay.

This Hilton Garden Inn is my type of property, and upholds the distinction of the Hilton brand.

• Liked — Room size, people, clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Location is 15 minutes from Downtown/The Alamo and Riverwalk
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Scot D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Oreogn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2008

DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO GET A ROOM IN SAN ANTONIO THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE ONE . We had a paid reservation for two nights, I arrived with my 7 year old daughter and they told us they had no room for us, I had called twice that day to make sure we had a room. They sent us over to the Holiday Inn Select where we were suppost to have a walkover room.. Holiday Inn was booked up and They did not have our names on their walkover list.. They were great helping us find a room.. Marriot gave us their last room (spa room) for the same price that we did not get a refund from the Hilton...BOTH HOLIDAY INN And MARROITT gave excellent customer service...BUT, The customer service was unbeliveable at the Hilton, ARTHUR who was in charge of the front desk does not belong working with customers..They did not have manager cards or a phone to use at 1 am. They did not help us out in any way.. I called the general manager a few days later so I could enjoy my time with my daughter at Sea World , he said he would take care of this matter , but no response for 3 days... I called corp today and they tell me in 3 days I should hear a response.. Do not waste your money please stay somewhere else.. Expedia was great also helping us transfer into another Hotel..

Stayed July 2008
Denison, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2008

We were lucky to get a reservation in SA. Our trip was a spure of the moment trip to San Antonio to visit SeaWorld during Spring Break. Need I say more! This hotel is located close to the SA airport. Downtown and the Riverwalk was ~10 minutes away while SeaWorld was ~25 minutes. There was road construction surrounding the hotel area but it did not cause much problem. The property was well maintained while the swimming pool was small in size. This property ended up being booked a few days before our arrival. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

I'm a Hilton Diamond member and I stay at Hilton family hotels all over the country every week. This the only one that I can honestly say, "I will never return." The staff is argumentative, in fact, they down right lie. They need customer service training, or better yet, a new staff. The rooms are good, if you can ever get the room you reserved. But even a good room doesn't make up for being treated as a peasant. I'm sure they will soon become a Motel 6.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank fsrtah
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2007

Stayed here for one night in late February, before a next day departure from San Antonio International. I am also confused about some of the other reviews of this hotel, this is a new hotel and is in fantastic shape. It is located about 5-10 minutes from the airport which is a bit far for a "airport" hotel, but it is a very easy drive from 281. The rooms were standard Hilton Quality, free Wireless internet was nice also. The hotel itself was an open air type, kinda felt like a lodge, where you can see all the floors from the hallway. There was an indoor pool which looked nice, but for unknown reasons it was closed the night we were there. Breakfast is not free, $10 for a buffet style. But the coffee at the gas station next door was sufficient. Overall this hotel had no issues I could complain about and the price was right.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank marvingardens1
Fairview, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

My wife has family in San Antonio and we've stayed at nearly all of the hotels near the airport. The other reviews listed here are from 2003 and 2004 - not sure what those reviews are since this is a Brand New hotel (opened in Nov-2006 according to the reservations folks at Hilton). We stayed there for Christmas-2006 and this is a VERY NICE hotel. Lobby is open. Free cocktails in the evenings. There was a charge for breakfast (I think it was about $10), but there was good variety and the staff was very friendly. I believe they have room service for dinner-hours (although we didn't order any). Business center was great - high speed internet. The room was literally brand new - nice bed, widescreen TV, nice furniture, lots of granite counters, good shower, good heat/AC controls, absolutely zero complaints. My wife and I are fairly picky travelers, so for us to Highly Recommend this place says something. We've been searching for several years and many trips for a nice hotel near the airport and this easily qualifies. Easy access off Hwy-281 and close to a Chevron gas station (handy for refilling the rental before heading back to the airport). There were plenty of parking spaces - not sure too many people were staying there since the hotel just recently opened. A+ for location, service, room, food, biz center - you should give this place a try.

• Liked — Everything - location, room, food, biz center, service, parking, etc. BEST Hotel Near Airport!!
  • Disliked — We spent about $125/night - I would have been a smidge happier around $100/night, but it was worth the $$.
  • Tips/Secrets — I booked the room via the Hilton website using the AAA discount - saved a little $$.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JG_in_Fairview
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2004

We used Choice hotels points for 4 rooms for a family vacation. Front desk was fantastic. Hotel has a manager's reception with a fun bartender. We took advantage of it (maybe too much!). Nice cook-to order breakfast. Hotel upgraded two of the rooms to Jacuzzi suites. They also arranged adjoining rooms for the families with kids.

Pool was a bit too hot for the kids, but that was about the only complaint. Hotel is a little worn, but it was obvious that they were setting up for a major renovation (lots of sheetrock).

2 Thank swimfast