“A good hotel on the Riverwalk”

Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #59 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milford, Michigan
“A good hotel on the Riverwalk”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This was a good hotel for a business trip and probably would be good with the family as well. The back of the hotel lets out onto the Riverwalk in a quieter portion of town. A quick stroll brings you to the noisier portion of the Riverwalk where most of the shops, restaurants and other hotels are. I'm glad I stayed at the Courtyard as it was not directly affected by the noise of the Riverwalk nightlife, although I suppose if I had been in a people watching mood, I might have enjoyed staying closer to the heart of the Riverwalk. My room was comfortable and clean, with high speed internet access, a little refrigerator, large bathroom, comfortable king-sized bed, a fold-out couch/bed and a tiny balcony overlooking the Riverwalk with a view of one of the old churches of the city. The hotel is close enough to everything that I enjoyed walking, especially along the Riverwalk away from the street traffic. As a runner, I found the location on the Riverwalk ideal as I had the opportunity to take a pleasant run up to the new Museum Reach area of the Riverwalk; early in the morning it was quiet and full of nice landscaping, plants, and flowers. A very enjoyable run.

The staff at the Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk are top notch; friendly, helpful and inviting. The lobby was nice and comfortable, but I will admit I would have appreciated complimentary coffee all day. I had breakfast in their airy and sunny dining area; you can even sit on a balcony above the Riverwalk. I also tried out their fitness room which was serviceable. It has a few cardio machines, some yoga mats, swiss balls, a single bench and a free weight rack that goes up to 50 pound dumbbells. If you're a real gym rat, you may be disappointed, but at least you can get your heart rate up a bit.

Overall, this is a good place to stay in downtown San Antonio. I would be happy to go back to the Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor on the West side. You'll get a bit of a view of the city and will overlook...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank philvirta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
London
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed 4 nights, and were happy with our choice. We wanted to be close by the Riverwalk (which it certainly is, without being affected much by late night noise etc.), but in reality the central area of SA is fairly compact, and the signposting for visitors is so incredibly good that we would have been fine at any one of about 30 central hotels. Our first time at a Courtyard, and our impressions were positive. Cheerful staff and a comfortable feel to the whole place. Our room was not huge, but perfectly adequate, clean, and well maintained. The free WiFi in our room actually worked. Snackbar type restaurant facility which did not tempt us more than once, but overall the hotel offers good value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stay at a lot of Courtyard hotels and this one is one of the best. The lobby and the room I stayed in appear to be recently renovated. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is located right on the Riverwalk. So, it's a quick walk to restaurants and river barge tours. There is a pool at the hotel. But, it is surprisingly small.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2012

With a Courtyard, I expect a medium-sized, very clean room with a firm bed and no gotcha's. That's what we got. We stayed here two nights. It is a little pricey, but is right on the River with access to the Riverwalk out the back door.

Staff is great and helpful, room was spotless. Even with the last weekend of Spring Break, it seemed they had things under control and there wasn't any excessive wait for check in.

I do suggest getting a room as high as possible. You get a better view. I did not bother asking for a particular side of the hotel, but just to be high. They gave us a 10th floor room that overlooks the front of the hotel. At that level, you are above the church and hotels across the street, so it's not bad, but higher would have been better. We didn't plan to spend much time in the room looking out, so I didn't really care as long as we weren't looking at a wall as some have described. Since there are a number of hotels in a row along the River, I suppose it is possible to still be facing a wall if you get a room facing an adjacent hotel, even on the 10th floor.

In this area, you practically have to do valet parking at any hotel. We got a rate that included it and saved us about $5/night. The valet takes maybe 15 minutes to get your car. I asked and was told that the cars are kept in an elevated lot about 3 blocks away.

The room had a mini fridge and coffeemaker. The one complaint about the room itself is that the coffee maker does one cup at a time at a time and the coffee supplied is very much like starbucks, which we don't like. As a result of running into this problem before, I had bought a cheap, 5 cup Mr. Coffee at Walmart and we bring it and ground coffee with us when we drive to hotels where we don't know what kind of coffeemaker will be in the room. (Residence Inns seem to use standard coffeemakers so you can just bring the coffee and a few filters if you want something other than what they supply.)

Similarly to what others described, I did have some trouble with the room access card in some of the elevators, having to repeat the scan up to 5 times before it worked. In other elevators, it worked the first time. I didn't mind having to put up with this as you can see that these hotels are in an area where there could be a problem. They are located in a downtown area which is generally pretty safe, but you do have to be aware of your surroundings.

We rise pretty early and had thought of trying to get breakfast at Mi Tiera about a half mile away since it's open 24 hours. Even though it was approaching 7am, it was still dark and we asked at the front desk if it was safe to walk it. The lady suggested that we catch the trolley on the corner. When we started heading to the corner, there were a lot of people there as there were other buses stopping there, some just working class, but some suspicious-looking.and one definitely so, heading towards us and then reversing course like he was going to follow if we kept going. This was only about 50 feet from the hotel entrance. After sizing things up we asked the valet about the trolley and he said that he didn't think it ran on Sunday mornings early, which turned out to be the case. We wound up eating breakfast in the hotel bistro. This was only time I felt uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Get as high as possible and facing either the front or rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeNO
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Arrival experience: Arrived late afternoon on a Saturday. Efficient staff.

Room (general): Typical Marriott room, clean carpet, nice bathroom with granite counters, mini-refrigerator, large flat screen TV. The hotel is fairly new and still fresh.

Bathroom: Good size, in generally good condition. Tub was clean.

Bed: Very good bed.

Houskeeping: above-average.

Restaurants: The coffee bar in the lobby was painfully slow on Sunday morning. The baristas were slow and it took forever to get two coffees (caramel macchiatos to be precise).

Bar: n/a

Grounds: This is a downtown hotel right on the riverwalk. There are no “grounds” to speak of except for a small area on the riverwalk.

Pool: we didn’t see one

Staff attitude/service: overall good.

Perks for status: Platinum gift/points offered at check-in. Upgraded room offered.

Parking: Valet only. The valets were very efficient.

Misc: The hotel is fairly small but well planned.

Room Tip: upgrade to the riverwalk side of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank utfiero
Austin, Tx
Reviewed 26 February 2012

When on a business trip, I have very little influence as to where my company boards me at. I was very pleasantly surprised by their choice with the Courtyard San Antonio. I am glad I had the GPS working, since I would of driven by it several times. The entrance is really quite small with a drive in which may be only 5 yards wide. The hotel itself is very well appointed. A large area for the bar with easy access to the Riverwalk was welcoming. They have a little market area next to check desk, where you can pick up some munchies and beers if you wish to take to your room.

My room was quite nice. I would definitely suggest for you to get a room on the higher floors, since my windows looked out about waist high to the pool area. My bed was very comfortable, pillows are a little fluffier than what I like. The bathroom was large with a great shower. It seemed like the rooms had been renovated fairly recently? Everything was clean and came with complimentary wi-fi which worked like a champ. The TV unfortunately would allow you to watch if you wanted to lay in the bed, but that was a minor inconvenience. I stayed in room 308.

The meeting rooms where I spent most of the time were large enough to handle a group of 55 or so. Most of our meals lunch were buffet style and there was plenty! it was pretty much standard fair, nothing horrible, nothing really fantastic, but in all hit the spot.

All being said, they did a good job on this trip and if I happen to be in San Antonio for pleasure I would definitely consider this as a choice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jensoid
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here for a weekend in February when my husband was on business. Overall, I was not impressed with San Antonio. The hotel is right on the river walk but a bit off the main drag of it which is good, because I imagine the river walk would get noisy if you were staying right there. San Antonio itself is maybe not for everyone - I found it to be a little charming, but mostly full of drunk people wandering around narrow river-walk streets overflowing with restaurant chairs, mariachi bands and, to boot, there was no railing - I have no idea how many people fall into the polluted river every year.

ANYWAY, the Courtyard was actually quite nice. The staff was super friendly, the room was very nice, the hotel had amazing security (which seemed like it was needed - I didn't feel all that safe unless I was down on the river-walk, and I am not one of those "I never feel safe unless I'm in the suburbs" kind of women), and the bistro staff was quite good as well. The gym, although small, had everything I needed including one of the best elliptical machines I've been on in a while (I made note of the model in case we move to a bigger house so I can have a home gym). I would recommend the hotel. San Antonio - not so much. But the hotel, definitely.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple