“disappointed”

Ranked #39 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Waco, Texas
“disappointed”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Rooms small, bathroom small. Dirty towels in bathroom when we arrived. No counter space in bathroom, toilet didn't flush well, and shower was short. Maybe this room hadn't received the facelift yet, although the tile in the bathroom did seem new. Wasn't aware of the additional charge to have a king sized bed instead of queen. We are 6'0" and 6'5", we don't fit in a queen sized bed. The refreshing of the room was done promptly, but coffee was not refreshed and we had to track down cleaning service to have in room coffee the next morning. The barber shop that the marketing brags about isn't open on the weekends. The hotel is pretty and the history is obvious, just not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. With all the options available on the river walk we will go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Smallen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.
edailey@greenwoodhospitality.com
313-253-4344

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as part of a conference; this was the second time I have been a guest here. The hotel has been renovated since my last stay. The lobby is modern but still had the old world charm and style.
I remember having a small room and even tinier bathroom my previous visit. This time I was surprised with a large corner room with a king-size bed, chair, table, and plenty of counter space for my things.
The bathroom was HUGE. The toilet, while old, was in a little room in a corner, then a large marble vanity, then a shower. On the other wall was a garden tub (no jets, though) with a large window above it.
The conference facilities were nice although it got hot and stuffy in the room both days after lunch.
This hotel is conveniently located near the Majestic Theater and the Riverwalk. It was an easy stroll to the mall by the convention center although there isn't much shopping there.
Didn't eat in the restaurant.
Valet was expensive but quick and friendly. I have had valet parking before but never the type of system they had...I could send a text to a company number and by the time I got downstairs my car was waiting for me with the A/C already on.
I was on the third floor so I was close enough to hear the street noise, especially in the later hours when the drunks were leaving the Riverwalk. I just turned the fan on the A/C and put in earplugs (supplied by the hotel!) and slept just fine.
Overall, nice hotel!

Room Tip: I believe others have said get a room on the upper floors to avoid the street noise and I agree. It...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Ann Marie,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for your conference. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased that you liked your room and enjoyed the improvements we have made to the property. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Sheraton Gunter
Stephenville, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The hotel is very pretty and the room was nice enough. There seemed to be a few too many problems, though. They couldn't get the room service menus straight. There was a Breakfast in Bed menu list on the bed when I arrived. Said to check off your choices and put on the outer door by 2 a.m. and to check off the time you wanted the meal to arrive. I posted mine by 11 p.m. - and nothing. Wasn't even picked up, much less delivered. Then that evening, my door key no longer worked and the A/C blew hot. TWO men came up and slid the key through the malfunctioning lock. Nothing. Seriously? My card sliding skills are impeccable, lol. It was the key - not me! Took over an hour to bring me a new key card - and the same thing happened two doors down to another woman. Those complaints said, the staff was always extremely polite and tried hard to be helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Cindi,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We will use your feedback to monitor the quality of the key lock and A/C and will take opportunities to improve. I am pleased that the staff worked hard to ensure you had a pleasant stay. I hope that we have a chance to welcome you back again soon.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is very nice, unfortunately it was being worked on. I had a room where it seemed a little old. The bed was nice and comfy, but the carpet seemed old and dirty.There was trash in the room when i arrived. The parking was across the street and I had to pay for it. I prob would not stay again until all the renovation is done.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. Please know that we will use your feedback as an opportunity to improve the guest room experience. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back again soon.
Kingwood
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have stayed here several times. They have recently remodeled their lobby and it still holds to the time it was built, but with an added uniqueness of current design. We love eating out by the street in their cafe. Very comfortable beds and conveniently located near Riverwalk, Buckhorn and Museum.

We informed them it was our anniversary and they delivered complimentary strawberries to our room. This was not expected at all!

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the elevator and they accomodated us gladly.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Monica,
I am so pleased that you were able to share your special anniversary trip with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated space and found Market on Houston to be tasty! We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to San Antonio.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

As someone who grew up in San Antonio, I was glad to see the renovations on this old historic hotel. The lobby, bar and restaurant all look great downstairs. The hotel is in a central location downtown and a very short walk to the River Walk. I'm not a fan of the rooms which is why my rating is as low as it is . The decor could use some serious updating. The bathrooms were small and dated but I expected that. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. Not a bad experience overall but I prefer something more modern.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Tim,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am pleased that you enjoyed the renovation throughout the public spaces and that you found the bedding to be comfortable. We have made note of your comments about the decor in the rooms for future refreshes and improvements. I hope that we have a chance to welcome you back again soon.
UAE
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were lucky to get a room at the last minute and were quite happy with our stay. The room was nice but I expected a little more "luxury" in the bath and vanity. That area could use an update! The lobby is lovely and the staff was very pleasant. However, the location is top-notch!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Curious Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Thank you for the feedback about the vanity area, we will use it for future improvements. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Sheraton Gunter