“Cool Historic Hotel near Riverwalk”

Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio
Ranked #36 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
txyz
“Cool Historic Hotel near Riverwalk”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here with my Family and truly enjoyed it. I love to stay at historic hotels that have an interesting background and the Gunther was a good example. Our room was new and modern, quite roomy, clean and comfortable with a fine view of the downtown area through two huge windows. Staff was friendly and quick to respond to our requests. The billiards room was a nice touch that my teens enjoyed and it doubled as the breakfast area the next morning, where its nice sunlit windows looked out over the downtown streets. The pool was pretty small, being a relatively recent addition to the historic property. The location was great, a short easy stroll to the Riverwalk and other downtown attractions. Valet parking in their small lot was pricey but there were at least three other public parking garages/lots just across the street that were much cheaper-amazingly it was the valet that informed me of those options-now that is good guest service! Loved the history display in the lower lobby area that told the story of the Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank txyz
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
TXYZ,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you found the location to be perfect for your visit. We try to make everyone’s visit memorable by providing the best comfort, the friendliest service, and the best of amenities; and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed the hotel, with all of its distinctive amenities. We were truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding our hotel service team. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
313-253-4344

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hornbeck, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We rented two adjoining rooms. First, the rooms weren't very clean. The faucets were grungy, the carpets need cleaned badly.
Our a/c wasn't working properly so we were told they would bring us a fan to use until they had another set of adjoining rooms, which would be the next day (it was end to mid-July so it was HOT). We never got a fan. They did love us the next day to another set of rooms. These rooms were filthier than the first. My husband went downstairs to tell them and they sent a manager up, Rob. He came up and I showed him the hair and whiskers still on the sink and counter, the soap and toothpaste on the faucet and the hair in BOTH bathtubs. He was not happy and assured me it would be handled. He comped us two free movie rentals.
Housekeeping was sent up to clean the bathrooms again. Once the guy left, the hair and whiskers was STILL on the sink. It was late evening so my husband cleaned it.
They forgot wash cloths one day so they had to bring them up later.
When we checked in, they asked my husband if he would like to receive 500 reward points per room per day in exchange for not having our sheets changed daily. He took that option.
When we went to check out, they had all the movies on our bill and had not credited him the reward points.
They told him he didn't hang the tag on the door every day asking the sheets not be changed. Nobody told us to do this. We thought the lady put it in the system and that was what needed to be done.
After he had a few words with them, they took the movies off and gave him his points. We will NOT return to this gross hotel who lacks greatly in customer service.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank maryjenny79
Mary Jenny,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. We take hotel hygiene and cleanliness very seriously and I am extremely disappointed that your experience did not reflect this. I regret that we missed so many opportunities to provide you with a flawless experience. Our team has been mobilized to address the experiences you had; we will conduct training and coordinate housekeeping and engineering to ensure the rooms you were in reflect the fresh renovations we just completed. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I hope to have a chance to welcome you back so we can provide the experience you deserve.
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Where to begin? Essentially everything about this hotel is bad. Customer service is poor but you can't blame the staff, all they put up with is complaining customers. The line at the front desk to complain is always at least 2 people deep. Our AC barely worked, the room remained a "cool" 75 the entire time we were there, 4 days, 3 nights. The hot water was hit and miss, seemed to work every other day. Super loud and I guess that is why the hotel provides ear plugs, yes, ear plugs!! The pool is tiny and was always filled with little kids, $28 a day for parking, and get a load of this, the printers in the business center, 40 cents a page to print in black and white!! Unreal!! I stayed here because I got the room through priceline, I highly, highly recommend anyone to spend just a little more and stay anywhere but here. The room itself was dirty and aged. Mold in the bathtub, pretty much all the reviews on here mention the lack of cleanliness and it is not an over embellishment. I will not ever stay here again or at another Sheraton property for that matter. Remember, hotels that provide ear plugs, provide them for a reason!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Picklehead13
PickleHead,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I live in Austin, TX, not far away from San Antonio, and enjoy going there to stay in older hotels. My interests are especially in haunted hotels. After I reserved a room here, I was pleased to read that there were recorded hauntings at this historic hotel. The rooms are very nice, very spacious, unlike other downtown hotels, which I really enjoyed. I especially liked the large bed and HUGE bath room. The bath room was almost as large as another bedroom. Well, I was hoping to experience something during the night, and there were noises alright. The noises were as if someone were trying to enter into the room like a rattle at the door, but after checking it out, no one was there. The noise kept coming back, but there was no one in the hallway at all. The floor was very quiet, which I really enjoy. Unlike the New Orleans hotels I often stay at, which are full of drunks in the middle of the nigh. I will definitely return to the Gunter because it is a very nice and beautiful hotel. The haunted factor is only an added benefit in my opinion!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Tomball, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Loved this hotel. Its beautiful, and the new renovations are mixing the historic feel with modern touches to create a very unique place to stay. The location is fantastic, literally steps from the Riverwalk, and about ten minute walk to Alamo, Rivercenter mall, and other attractions. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance as well.

Comfortable beds, with crisp white linens, fluffy pillows, and soft mattresses. The bathroom was newly renovated, with a nice spacious tub/shower, separate sink/powder room, and plenty of counter space. The floors were tiled with the now trendy faux wood ceramic tiles, and the carpet in the bedroom area was plush. There was also a spacious seating area with a couch, a large desk and a nice sized TV. I was VERY happy.

I do have to say that the rooms across the hall seemed a LOT smaller than ours when we peeked in as we passed by and they were being cleaned. They seemed to be almost half the size, even though they were also double bed rooms. Who knows?

This is at least the 10th hotel I have stayed in in San Antonio, so I have a lot to compare it to. I would stay here again, and recommend it to others, in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susie M
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

There was some miscommunication with our booking and the room type, and our king room was not available when we checked in. However, everyone we came in contact with was friendly and helpful. We did have to spend one night in a small queen room, but were able to move the next day.

The hotel itself has been beautifully renovated, especially in the public areas. The rooms were clean and well furnished. However, it being an older hotel, there are some pitfalls, like some odd shaped, small rooms and rooms with not much of a view (like our standard queen, room 636, which was right next to the elevator, so we heard the "dings" most of the night and the window looked out onto the AC equipment).

We had breakfast the first day in the hotel restaurant, the "Market on Houston Street." I felt the price was fair and definitely comparable to other hotel restaurants. We had the "omelet" station, which was a buffet type meal. The omelet was perfectly cooked (Thanks, Ronald!) and the meal included bacon, sausage, potatoes, and various breads and pastries. The second morning, we ate in the club lounge and it was also very good. The club lounge staff is very attentive, keeping the food plentiful and the room clean.

You can't beat the location, either. It's not directly on the Riverwalk, but close enough to not be inconvenient. We easily walked to the Alamo and River Center Mall.

So, in spite of some early disappointment, I will not hesitate to stay at the Gunter again, and I do highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveln_Texan
Dallas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Gunter is centrally located within walking distance of Riverwalk attractions. Our two room suite on sixth floor was large, comfortable and quiet. Queen size bed too soft but pillows and linens okay. Lobby elegant. Parking $28 per day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family