“An antidote to mediocrity”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Havana

Hotel Havana
Ranked #82 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“An antidote to mediocrity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

This hotel brims with character and even a little attitude. If you like standardised big chain mediocrity this is not the place for you. The rooms are clean, well fitted and interesting. The staff are bright breezy people who make you feel welcome without getting in your face.

The hotel is about ten minutes along the riverside walk from the heart of the touristville San Antonio (and of course the Alamo) but I preferred to sit in the Ocho bar and drink cool Mexican beer than fight for tables with conference crowd downtown.

If you are a light sleeper then the air con can be noisy and the floors creak as people come and go - but as I said this is not the kind of place you go if you want sterile, silence and disposable slippers.

The full size fridge in the room is filled with a selection of great beers, the bathrooms have great soaps and lotions - small touches that all just shout individual !

Hotel Havana is one of my favourite hotels for many years and proof that there is a market for individuality, style and great atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Stevehomer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
San Marcos, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

The Hotel Havana is an interesting hotel with great potential. My husband and I prefer local hotels and chose this one for a weekend in San Antonio (SA). We booked a promotion that included a suite, late check out, breakfast, two Mojitos, and champagne & chocolate. The bar did not open until 5pm, which was too late as we had another engagement. We never received the champagne and chocolates, even though we paid for this promotion for two days. Most importantly, my call to the manager was never returned, although the front desk staff seemed quite apologetic. We are frequent visitors to SA and have plans at a different hotel for early May.

6 Thank dmt1966
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

We make a trip once a year to San Antonio to visit family. We try to stay some place new and fun each time. I had read an article in the Southern Living about this new little boutique hotel in down town SA. I researched it and we decided to give it a try. Here are my thoughts and travel suggestions.
1. This is not a place to take children.
2.If you have trouble getting around yes the beds are very high and you may have trouble getting in and out.
3. It is an old building and if you are looking for a slick modern hotel this is NOT your place.
Ok that being said. We enjoyed our stay very much. We loved that is was off the beaten path but still within walking distance of all the activities on the River. We loved that the floors creaked and that it was dark. We wished that we had had a better view, but we did not go to stay in our room and look out the window.
True there are no closets in the rooms, but there are hooks and hangers in the drawers. And who really needs a closet. If you are staying in town long term maybe another place will suit you better. The fridge is cute, and stocked with fun things. We did not partake but the prices are not bad. (the monkey in the basket was a bit pricey and I would have liked to have taken him home) The bathroom is small and functional. The lotions etc are in bottle in the shower. I would have liked a sample to take home. They were offered for sale, but at "very well thought of " price.
Parking is limited, but we had no problem finding a space and it is just $10.00 for the whole day. Much better than the bigger hotels.
Suggestions to the personnel pay a little more attention to the front desk. We had to hunt down someone to check out. And I do think it would be nice to offer breakfast in the lobby, free. Or in that wonderful sun room we could only see from outside.
We did not partake of anything in the bar, but did travel down to see. And yes it is dark.
All in all it was a good stay. Try it out if you are headed that way. It will be fun.

2 Thank monkeytrashman
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

This hotel is charming and unique, but make sure you have a room on the second or third floor not facing the street, or you will have a miserable night. It's really more like staying in someone's big old house (there are 29 rooms) than in a hotel. Attended a wedding in the hotel, and I liked the old-fashioned vibe and the service was excellent, both in the hotel and during the party. They have a lovely front porch and it was a treat to sit out there in the morning and drink the excellent coffee they provide (they don't have in-room coffeemakers, but they do have nice flat-screens). Rooms were big, matresses was excellent , loved the full-sized refrigerator, bathroom was really nice, and the bath products were terrific. But those in our party who stayed on the ground floor didn't sleep a wink all night due to the noise from the old-fashioned elevator and people coming in and going out. The location is excellent, you walk right across the street to the Riverwalk, which was very enjoyable, and they have a parking lot right next to the hotel, which is handy in this neighborhood ($10.00 a night). So all in all, I have to say I really enjoyed staying there, but you have to get the right room.

1 Thank pcintx_8
ALBERTA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

CLEANLINESS: Was superb, housekeeping cleaned everyday, swiffered the wood floors, and left fresh, soft, plush towels everyday. 1 out the 5 days we slept in and were not out of the room until past 11:00 - so that day understandably was not done. SERVICE: Was impeccable, the front desk person always greets you with a hello and smile. They really try hard to make you feel welcome in this hotel. I did not bring my computer with me, and the gentleman at the front desk allowed me to borrow his laptop to use I my room - I thought that was going the distance. Very kind. The bartender in the basement bar, is approachable, entertaining, and fun to visit with. The basement bar is cool idea, you need to at least have one drink down there for the experience.
LOCATION: Depends on how you look at it and what you are looking for. I thought it was perfect. The hotel is not directly on the riverwalk, however directly across the street is stairs going down to the riverwalk. It's a nice cozy hotel that is away from the main craziness of the riverwalk, it's peaceful and relaxing when you want to get away from the chaos. Within a 5min walk of the craziness if you want to be in it though.
ROOMS: Love the rooms, they have a cozy, warm feeling. Each one has its own temperature & A/C which was easy to adjust. The beds are very comfy. There is just a wonderful coziness to the rooms, it's nice. They are very spacious too.
VALUE: I did really enjoy this hotel alot. Looking back though the room rates are a little steep for what is there. Yes you are paying for the character and coziness of the room I get that. However, like another review said, there is another historic hotel a few blocks away with way more included amenties for $30.00 cheaper a night. It all relies on what you are look for. This is a charming hotel, it is smaller/cozier, with personal service, and with wonderful quiet verandas that we enjoyed during the evenings with a glass of wine(we had bought from a liquor store).
SLEEP QUALITY: We stayed from Mon-Sat. Monday threw to Thursday night was awesome sleeps! Peaceful and quiet! Then Friday night came (1am-2am), which I understand is a party night so the hallways/parking lot was very very loud. You can hear everything in the halls of this hotel. Highheels clip clopping on the hardwood floors, laughing, screaming, there was very loud music in the parking lot. On a normal night, it wouldn't have bothered me, I just had a plane to catch at 4am, so sleep quality the last evening was not so good, other then that I truly love this hotel - and would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Crystal City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

The staff are gifted and responsive to every need. The rooms are filled with class and comfort for the world traveler. This exquisite property will impress any 5 stàr snob or the precious spirit that seeks high value rest and comfort in an amazing historic property located on the most beautiful part of the San Antonio River. All who work at the Havana seek to please the guests and the owners have given the staff the tools and leadership to make pleasing possible.

• Stayed February 2011
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

Wow, where do I start. Why this hotel has generated so much buzz is beyond me. My wife and I planned a quick getaway based on a "best of" article in Southern Living. I can't believe they even visited the place. The King that we booked transmitted every sound from the hall. It was like sleeping without walls. The bed was like riding a sway backed horse. We couldn't lay down without rolling to the middle. Oh, did I mention that the hotel is next to a fire station? The elevator was like the set for a Dracula movie, pitch dark with red glowing ceiling lights. If you are over 40 forget being able to read the menu in the basement Havana Bar (is the new definition for hip, dark?). The staff was very nice and they were very pleasant about cancelling the last 3 nights of our stay. They understood, and by way of apology noted that they were still working on upgrading the rooms after 8 mos open. This is award winning performance? I guess I am just not cool and hip enough to pretend that his hotel is ready for prime time.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple