“A gem on the riverwalk”

Ranked #88 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
New York City, New York
“A gem on the riverwalk”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed with my wife during our recent trip to Texas, upon recommendation from a friend.
This is a real gem!
It is very conveniently located on a quiet part of the riverwalk. It will take you approx 10 minutes walking to get to all restaurants & bars - a very nice walk.
It has its own bar & restaurant. Restaurant (called Ocho) doesn't have a lot of choice, but the food was pretty good.
The room was very charming, very nicely decorated, equipped with both a fan and air conditionning, and with a little view on the riverwalk. You also find a basket full of anything you could need (and more!) in the room.
The girl at front door was very nice, polite each time we spoke with her.
We really enjoyed our two nights there.
In order to give the fifth star, I would have enjoyed to find breakfast and / or parking included in the price - overall, it becomes a bit pricy.
And, the giant television antenna across the riverwalk is kind of an eyesore.
But this wouldn't prevent me from recommending this hotel to anyone visiting San Antonio! I'm not sure we could have found better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2012

From check-in to check-out Hotel Havana disappointed. Havana claims to be a boutique hotel yet the Cuban theme lacks any historical significance to San Antonio’s Mexican heritage. From incense and soft candle light in the lobby to velvet sofas and the dangerously dim romantic lighting in the elevator, Hotel Havana would seem to be an ideal getaway for couples looking for a nostalgic setting. However, if nostalgic boutique means catering to everyone and their dog (literally, they take pets), then Hotel Havana ranks right up there with Holiday Inn. The only differentiator I could see was the mini bar merchandise buffet confronting you in each room, complete with t-shirts and sock puppet monkies at $25.

PROS:
- Neat old building
- Easy access to river walk
- Relatively clean
- Big SMEG fridge in each room

CONS:
- Unprofessional staff
- Noise transmits easily through walls and ceiling
- Way to dim lighting
- 17 dollar a day parking

Specific gripes:
1) My wife and I checked in and were given the worst room in the place – directly on the lobby. In addition to the noise from the lobby a family with young kids was in the room over ours. Within 15 minutes of check-in I was politely requesting to be moved citing overhead noise as the reason. After initial comments of “we’re booked sir” they discovered a hidden room somewhere for us to move to. Wow, I thought that was awesome service until the girl who checked us in basically said she was doing us a favor but not to expect it to happen again. According to her it is up to us to disclose special requirements like not liking children running over our head while we try to sleep. Then she made us wait while she checked the room we had been in for mere minutes and then complained because the room would have to be made up again. We hadn’t even sat down and the room was in the condition it was when we walked in. Perhaps she was expecting a 5 dollar bill for her immense trouble.
2) Room service breakfast arrived 45 minutes late and stone cold. This meal consisted of coffee, a basket of tortillas, and an omelet for $35 + $5 tip. Wow.
3) We were told prior to arriving that parking was no problem, just park in front of the hotel. We learned at checkout that this tiny, cramped parking lot cost $17 a day. Awesome deal.
4) We attempted to checkout early and told the desk staff that something urgent had come up back in Houston. We had to correct the bill we were given as they hadn’t applied our Living Social coupon and then had to sit down in the lobby for 30 minutes while they attempted to find our coupon and then find the person who could fix the mistake. Lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor as all noise is transmitted through the thin ceilings.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Right up front, the HH is definitely not the size nor the standard of the Hiltons, Marriotts, or most any other big chain, or of the bigger, grander SA hotels. So if you are looking for large-living luxury, plush, deep carpets, swimming pools, uniformed porters, or other commonly available amenities, look elsewhere.

But if you want a hotel with character, a unique style and its own, memorable, identity, then give the HH a try. The building is architecturally unique. The rooms are all different. The furnishings a mix of antique and art deco. The atmosphere could easily be 1930's Havana or San Antonio.

The staff was very friendly, attentive and helpful. The location is right next to the quiet part of the River Walk and an easy direct walk to all of the downtown attractions, stores and restaurants.

It also has its own restaurant, the Ocho, whose menu I looked at and would have preferred to the Riverwalk chain joint where we ended up on our last night in SA. Live and learn, even after 65!!

My wife found the bed less comfortable than most others on our trip. But it was better than the foam twins we experienced at our friend's ranch a couple of days earlier.

Would we stay there again? Yes, definitely - unless we win a lottery and choose the old money luxury or the Menger!!

Room Tip: We took Queen Suite #33 and were quite happy with it. One night the restaurant's band was quite...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We LOVED this hotel. We live in Austin and needed a weekend getaway and had been wanting to check out Hotel Havana knowing how great Liz Lambert is at renovating old buildings into something really cool... and she once again has done a spectacular job! Everything was top notch especially the service by the Front Desk. These people go OUT OF THEIR WAY to help you. Liz not only knows her stuff in renovating hotels, but she knows how to hire people who will make you feel like you are the most important person at the hotel.
Upon sadly leaving the hotel, we drove away and 15 minutes later discovered that we had left our briefcase (money, purse, computer - panic!) in the parking lot just sitting there - called the hotel and the staff ran out to the parking lot, found our bag and kept it safe.
Loved:
*the hidden little patios and balconies- had great coffee out there both mornings.
*the staff
*simple decor
*red candles outside everywhere
*Ocho restaurant
*basement bar- coolest place EVER and great mixologists. Cozy romantic atmosphere.
* location - a few blocks away from all the RW craziness but close enough to it so you can walk there in 10 minutes if needed. We walked to dinner and show at the Majestic and felt very safe.
* good strong Cuban coffee

Didnt like
* the only thing I can really list here is the price. This place is very expensive. We thought it was worth it, but still had a bit of a shock factor when we got the bill.

Super hotel - if you dont like chain hotels, you will fall in love with this place,

2 Thank moodybluesaustin
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed for two nights and had a nice stay. The hotel does a great job of keeping the theme of Havana all the way through. The best part of the hotel was the service. Each person at the Front Desk was extremely friendly and helpful. I loved the rooms and had a nice suite with a comfortable bed.

Only downside, the incense the staff lights in the evening. Not a fan of incense.

Also, not to dwell but pretty sure I had spirits in my room. Just tried to ignore it. The gal at check out said they do have them.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BulldogMatt
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I stayed 1 night at the hotel and enjoyed the experience. I loved the details and the character of the hotel. The hotel was nothing like the chain hotels or even other boutiques I've stayed in. The SMEG fridge in the room was perfect for keeping my husband's insulin cool and had the best selection I've ever seen in a minibar. We had a lot of fun exploring what was in the fridge and basket. Alas, we did not purchase anything but the items were chosen with care to fit the carefully crafted ambiance.

Ocho Lounge provided us with yummy dinner and breakfast. I firmly believe that a restaurant with a smaller menu is able to produce their dishes with excellence while a restaurant with a varied and large menu is only able to produce mediocrity. The smaller menu at Ocho Lounge stands up to my theory. I don't think you can go wrong on their menu. Their drinks were fantastic too!

Only downsides to the hotel were the restaurant and customer service could have been a bit warmer. At this price point for a hotel, I expected a bit more from the front desk person. Maybe assistance with our bags?

Otherwise, if you are looking for a unique boutique, try Hotel Havana!

Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I purchased a deal from living social that included stay, 2 drinks, and free breakfast. The hotel itself was really beautiful and very unique. It's location is close to the Riverwalk and other fun spots. The bar is very unique, due to the low lighting and candles. The complaint that my husband and I have is the price of parking, $17, and the breakfast. Luckily our breakfast was free but it's very over priced and was not tasty. Overall it was a great stay.