“Meh. I liked it, but...”
Review of Hotel Havana

Hotel Havana
Ranked #82 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Meh. I liked it, but...”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I'm a fan of the San Jose in Austin, so I wanted to check out this place. It's okay. Pretty aspects to it, stylish bar/restaurant, nice staff, but the room itself wasn't impressive. Difficult to find/awkward electrical outlets, 1 hook rather than a towel bar or 2 in the bathroom. Overall nice, but not sure if the few style choices make it worth the price. Confusing gym situation -- you may or may not be sent to a different hotel to use their gym, and they may or may not be okay with it. The hotel you are sent to changes depending on who you speak with at Hotel Havana.

Room Tip: The construction in the back of the hotel was noisy during my stay -- I switched rooms because I cou...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank armacy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Booked this having seen other reviews and it really is a brilliant colonial type hotel in the centre of San Antonio. Made a nice change from the usual Hiltons, Westins as it is unique. We were upgraded to a brilliant suite which was straight out of the 1850's. Exceptionally clean and all modern fitments but you still thought you were back in the wild west. They have a subterranean bar which was buzzing the night we dropped in for a final drink. Staff helpful and excellent except for the breakfast service in the attached coffee shop. Don't know what happened there that morning but it was painfully slow and very over-priced. Needs to be sorted as detracts from the rest of the hotel experience. I'm still awarding a five as did not detract sufficiently from the actual stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DAVID P
Austin TX
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Favorite hotel in Texas. Great service, fantastic rooms, amazing on site restaurant.
The room decor is amazing, prefect eclectic mix from the twenties. The fridge (which was freaking cool) the room was awesome and stocked with a great mix of beers and other beverages. Bed wasn't too hard or too soft, and the bed was a four post metal frame, we had a nice sitting room off the sleeping room which was a great place to unwind and lounge after spending a few hours on the riverwalk.
This hotel is a definite don't miss if your in San Antonio. Even if you don't want to be near riverwalk crowds, as the hotel is not on the touristy part of the river, but just a short 5 minute stroll from the action.

• Stayed December 2012
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2013

What a delight! We recently stayed at Hotel Havana and I must say we feel like we have found a gem. Although not situated smack on the River Walk it is easily accessible. We walked to the River Walk and it took us about 10 minutes. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful and it felt more like we were staying some place special not just your every day hotel. The Hotel Havana feels like a world all of its own. From the mini bar, to the staff, to the amazing restaurant our experience was sublime. The only thing I would've loved was to be able to hear the music during the day. I don't regularly notice the music playing in hotels but my daughter noticed a few songs that we both really loved, but apparently it needed to be louder so we could shazam the music. We thought it would have been great to keep the Havana experience on out drive home. I would highly recommend staying at the Havana. The only word I can think of to say is the Hotel is an original and should be experienced.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dallas
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My partner and I did a weekend trip with another couple to San Antoinio and what a lovely experience at this hotel. The rooms remind me of the rooms we get in Europe...small and cozy but nicely appointed with great pillows and mattress. We stayed in room 36 on the 3rd floor which has a terrace for all the guests. We enjoyed the terrace every morning for our wonderful Cuban coffee from Ocho, the restaurant and bar, as well as in the evenings after dinner. The location is perfect! It is directly across the street from an entrance to the Riverwalk. It is a nice leisurely stroll to the main area of the riverwalk where all of the restaurants and clubs and other hotels are located. It was so nice to get back to the nice quite area of this hotel after being around all of the folks on the touristy part of the riverwalk. The food and drinks at Ocho are outstanding. Our waiter for both nights was Reynaldo and he was fabulous. I had the best Bloody Mary that I have ever had anywhere in the states or Europe. Reynaldo told me that they make their own bloody mary mix and you can certainly tell it. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Don't get room 34. The smallest I have ever stayed in. Comfy bed and pillows but you need to be a contortionist to manoeuvre around the tiny room.

Taxi booked for the airport by the hotel in the morning never showed. Quaint place but I'm sure there are more affordable, nicer places.

• Stayed April 2013
manchester
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Hotel is a lovely building with good helpfull staff, good bed but some noise through the windows, location is right on the river walk but out of the centre, we found it a nice walk in and out and not too far.
All food is pretty spicy even the breakfast fruit had cayenne pepper on it.
My only real gripe is that unknown to us there was a big festival on the river and the hotel had sold seats in the conservatory to non residents meaning we could not get a seat overlooking the river and struggled to get a seat anywhere to have food and drink before we went out into town.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple