“Please beware”

Ranked #82 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Sydney, Australia
“Please beware”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My partner and I booked and paid in Jan 2013 to stay at this hotel over the dates October 26-29th 2013, as part of a trip from Australia to celebrate a special birthday.

We did not have a special experience with this hotel. Ten days ago I heard from our travel agent advising that the hotel had overbooked and cancelled our booking. This is despite paying in full 8 months prior.

It turns out they had a wedding booked in a few months ago (and months after our booking) and had not bothered to tell anyone.

A week ago I contacted the hotel to get some feedback from them but got no response to my e-mail.

My advice would be to look elsewhere in San Antonio, we have found hotel called the Hotel Valencia, look out for my review in a couple of months.

In summary, a poor experience. The hotel is not even prepared to respond to my e-mail. Its one thing to make mistakes but it is really how you deal with them that matters. Hotel Havana have failed on both accounts, please don't make this mistake yourself.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ChiefsBTB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our trip to Texas. We had booked a Queen Suite which was gorgeous! Lovely 4 poster bed, cool little sitting area with a SMEG- big enough you could keep your own things in too & the bathroom was lovely!
Each floor had a nice little terrace that you could sit on.
Hotel was in a gret location for the Riverwalk & town.
Hotel bar was great & breakfast was very yum!
Cannot fault the hotel at all & if we ever end up back in San An will most definetly return!

• Stayed August 2013
Miramar Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My associate and I were looking to book a Hilton or Marriott on a business trip as we drove into San Antonio. I asked him to check TripAdvisor for something different. We found it. We arrived early and our rooms were ready. What a great surprise. We had lunch at Ocho outside along the river. It's hard to describe just how relaxing this hotel is. Historical, comfortable and yes... a little quirky as previously reviewed....but I can't wait to go back with my wife. Great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Austin
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I had a relaxing weekend at Hotel Havana. The room was great (we stayed in #13). I loved the decor and the Smeg fridge. Food from Ocho was simply delicious! The only negative was that the room could be a bit noisy as it is right behind the restaurant but I planned ahead and brought ear plugs to sleep with. I'd gladly stay again at Hotel Havana.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tuscaloosa
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Traditional Texas horn furniture, A cuban refrigerator, a bar lit by rows of red candles and a restaurant with unusual dishes that make you want to come back for every meal. The best part though was the staff service at the front desk. We asked to leave our bags before check in and when we came back they had already placed the bags in our room...an upgraded one at that. I recommend the welcome "bucket of local beer" as well. Couldn't ask for a more perfect hotel experience

Room Tip: The rooms with the sky view window and small sitting room are excellent!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This a great hotel for getaway. It is filled with polished wood bright colors colors and has an excellent and attentive staff. There is a great view of the river walk from the restaurant,Ocho. The banana bread that is hot from the griddle then topped with honey, peanut butter is not to be missed int the morning for breakfast. Downtown landmarks are just a short walk away if you are looking for entertainment or shopping However, just hanging out on the north end of the river walk was just what I needed

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My boyfriend and I nabbed a great deal via Hotels Tonight for Hotel Havana, but we didn't have super high expectations. It's tucked away in a quieter part of town, and managing to park our car in their tiny lot was terrifying; however, once we entered the hotel, we were totally charmed and impressed. From the friendly staff to the creaky staircase to the awesome retro fridge in our room, this hotel is filled with little surprises sure to make you smile. Access to the Riverwalk is convenient and the stretch is much more tranquil and relaxing than the stretch that's closer downtown. Breakfast at the bar downstairs, Ocho, can't be missed--their banana bread is so delicious! If you're looking for a cozy, old timey feel for your next visit to San Antone, check this place out!

• Stayed June 2013