“May be close to an experience in the real Havana...some good, some bad”
Review of Hotel Havana

Hotel Havana
Ranked #87 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“May be close to an experience in the real Havana...some good, some bad”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The bad things first. Loved the hotel a lot but some things could still be improved. We too stayed in Room 15 and our friends stayed in the room directly above us. We were lucky and knew they would not be up all night moving furniture and walking around but i can understand how a previous reviewer had problems from someone pacing all night-you can hear the floor squeaking a lot when they are walking around. I did not mind the large bottles of toiletries, but I hope they really check them out occasionally. Our lotion seemed to be old and smelled funny and not in a good way. Our bed was nice, but the foot board was too high to see the TV. My husband and I both laughed when we were watching it and both commented that we had to watch it in the reflection of the window and poster because we could not see because our view was blocked. So the TV should have been placed higher. No pool, but guests do get to use a nearby hotel's pool, but that was very tiny. Wi-fi was spotty and frustrating.

Now the nice...The location was good and quiet even though it looked like they had a nice crowd at the bar. OCHO is fabulous. Had drinks and breakfast, but they need to figure out more veggie options for dinner even though it is a small menu. Loved the SMEG fridge and all it was stocked with, the sitting area was nice and the whole atmosphere of the hotel is fabulous. I liked the incense in the common area, but my husband did not. Staff was very congenial and accommodating. A/C in the room rocks!

Room Tip: Not Room 15.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I enjoyed my room in this recently renovated old hotel. It's part of a small Texas chain that has a lot of style. It's on the river walk and for my tastes a much better places than the international chain hotels a little more in the center.

Room Tip: Room 10 was my favorite.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NewYorkarchitect
Austin, TX
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in room 15 this weekend, and we were so impressed with Hotel Havana. It's beautiful and comfortable. You can tell that every detail was chosen carefully, and aesthetically it's hard to beat. The location is perfect, since it's on a quieter part of the River Walk. We had the unfortunate situation of having a downstairs room which would have been perfect and quiet except that the people above us were pacing madly for hours. I don't know what they were doing or why, but they seemed to be doing it in high heels. Really strange. I had asked if there were rooms available upstairs and they were booked, so no luck there. Anyway, it's a very beautiful hotel but it's so expensive that I probably will not choose to stay there again knowing that I may be awake for hours wondering what on earth someone could be doing in their hotel room that required so much walking. Are you a Fitbit addict? Did you not achieve your 10,000 steps per day goal? Did you drink too much caffeine? Anyway, I recommend staying upstairs if you can, and if you have the good luck to have an upstairs room please do your pacing in SOCKS.

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs if you can. If you have the good fortune to have a room upstairs, please lea...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kittythedog
Austin
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We came to SA just for the hotel experience and it did not disappoint. Similar to Liz Lambert's other properties, HH is fun, hip and funky. From some of the other reviews, it seems some rooms are better than others. We had room 37 and had windows on three walls. The bar and restaurant were both fabulous. Will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank DeeMarie70
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you love the funky creativity, old-world ambiance of a fun boutique hotel with excellent and discreet service, check out Hotel Havana. It is located on the northern section of the San Antonio Riverwalk--near the busy restaurants, bars and shops but just far enough away to be peaceful and quiet. The lobby is classic, dark-stained wood with high ceilings. The atmosphere is Cuba-retro-elegance, and we were told many of the antiques are from Cuba. Rooms contain stocked retro-refrigerators with curved edges in 50s colors. The staff and service are wonderful, and you get the feel off being in a private hotel off the beaten path. The restaurant Ocho has a smaller menu, but the food is all excellent; the décor is retro-hip; and when they open one wall of windows, you can eat overlooking the San Antonio River. The bar downstairs is candlelit; the drinks are excellent and the bartender is super friendly. My husband and I went here for an anniversary even though we live in San Antonio, and I go to Ocho to eat whenever I can. Try the Cuban Sandwich with a mojito, and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had a smaller room and it didn't have much of a window. You might want to ask about views.
2 Thank TaraSA2014
Ashley C, Director Of Operations at Hotel Havana, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We are so glad that you spent your anniversary with us and took the time to write this great review regarding your experience. I have passed your comments to the staff throughout the hotel and restaurant. We truly appreciate your business and we hope to see you again soon.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel Havana on the River Walk was the perfect place for a romantic weekend trip. Cool, comfortable, charming. The restaurant "Ocho" was amazing. Breakfast was out of this world! It was also great for drinks and dessert. Get a table overlooking the River Walk. This place is on the quieter part of the River Walk, but still a convenient location. I will recommend Hotel Havana to anyone and I will absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the River Walk.
Chicago
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I went to Hotel Havana for our 1 year anniversary and we couldn't have been more pleased. I am a clean freak and normally don't like the look or feel of hotels, but this was clean, had loads of charm, and the staff was incredibly helpful. From the tall ceilings, to the hard wood floors, to the historic building, Hotel Havana was a charming retreat. Ocho had amazing food and the location was right on a quiet, beautiful part of the river walk. It was about a 10 min. walk from all of the restaurants on the river walk. I couldn't recommend this place more and I look forward to coming back for a visit!

Room Tip: We had room facing the east, which allowed a lot of light during the day. If you want a room facing...
1 Thank Karen H