“Unique Experience”
Review of Hotel Havana

Hotel Havana
Ranked #108 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is my preferred hotel when staying in San Antonio. It's right off Riverwalk, if that is what you are into, but I prefer it because it's close to almost anything in SA. The restaurant, Ocho, is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But really Ocho is just a beautiful space. The bar downstairs has great cocktails and is nice and dark; certainly gives it a cooler feel during hot Texas nights. The rooms are great - love the bed/mattress and the mini-bar situation is amazing - check out the fridge.

Room Tip: Try the penthouse for a romantic experience or any of the rooms near one of the upstairs terraces.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was a cool hipster hotel downtown San Antonio. I arrived late in the evening is the hotel was quiet. It is very dark and clean and smells of incense. When I got to my room I was pleasantly surprised to find a Smeg fridge filled with glass bottled sodas, water, and alcoholic beverages.b what a nice added touch! I liked the antique architecture, hard wood floors, desk area, tile in the bathroom, etc. staff was welcoming and friendly. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel could charge $400 a night in NYC... The bones of the hotel are great and the renovation was not overly done. The sandalwood incense wafts throughout the lobby and rooms. I was worried about the noise from other reviews but we had a room facing the parking lot. A pro tip - don't spend $17 a day on parking when you can literally park across the street for $8.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lee B
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Its unbelivable, but I got a room with windows facing the hotel bar "Ocho". There was loud conversation and laughing till 2am. To think I payed 200 dollars for a terrible stay it makes me so upset. The room was clean though,thats the only pro I can think.
Never again!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Dani& M
Ashley C, Director Of Operations at Hotel Havana, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your comments on your most recent stay with us. We are pleased you found that the hotel was clean however; I do want to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us with the noise from the restaurant. Unfortunately due to the 100 year age of the hotel you can definitely at times hear other things going on in the hotel. I offer that not as an excuse but an explanation. We have recently added ear plugs in all the rooms for our guest and continue to explore ideas to keep the noise level to a minimum. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Best Regards,
Ashley Ciomperlik

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The bad things first. Loved the hotel a lot but some things could still be improved. We too stayed in Room 15 and our friends stayed in the room directly above us. We were lucky and knew they would not be up all night moving furniture and walking around but i can understand how a previous reviewer had problems from someone pacing all night-you can hear the floor squeaking a lot when they are walking around. I did not mind the large bottles of toiletries, but I hope they really check them out occasionally. Our lotion seemed to be old and smelled funny and not in a good way. Our bed was nice, but the foot board was too high to see the TV. My husband and I both laughed when we were watching it and both commented that we had to watch it in the reflection of the window and poster because we could not see because our view was blocked. So the TV should have been placed higher. No pool, but guests do get to use a nearby hotel's pool, but that was very tiny. Wi-fi was spotty and frustrating.

Now the nice...The location was good and quiet even though it looked like they had a nice crowd at the bar. OCHO is fabulous. Had drinks and breakfast, but they need to figure out more veggie options for dinner even though it is a small menu. Loved the SMEG fridge and all it was stocked with, the sitting area was nice and the whole atmosphere of the hotel is fabulous. I liked the incense in the common area, but my husband did not. Staff was very congenial and accommodating. A/C in the room rocks!

Room Tip: Not Room 15.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel G
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I enjoyed my room in this recently renovated old hotel. It's part of a small Texas chain that has a lot of style. It's on the river walk and for my tastes a much better places than the international chain hotels a little more in the center.

Room Tip: Room 10 was my favorite.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank NewYorkarchitect
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in room 15 this weekend, and we were so impressed with Hotel Havana. It's beautiful and comfortable. You can tell that every detail was chosen carefully, and aesthetically it's hard to beat. The location is perfect, since it's on a quieter part of the River Walk. We had the unfortunate situation of having a downstairs room which would have been perfect and quiet except that the people above us were pacing madly for hours. I don't know what they were doing or why, but they seemed to be doing it in high heels. Really strange. I had asked if there were rooms available upstairs and they were booked, so no luck there. Anyway, it's a very beautiful hotel but it's so expensive that I probably will not choose to stay there again knowing that I may be awake for hours wondering what on earth someone could be doing in their hotel room that required so much walking. Are you a Fitbit addict? Did you not achieve your 10,000 steps per day goal? Did you drink too much caffeine? Anyway, I recommend staying upstairs if you can, and if you have the good luck to have an upstairs room please do your pacing in SOCKS.

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs if you can. If you have the good fortune to have a room upstairs, please lea...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family