Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown
Ranked #31 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel was close to many attractions which made it easy for sight seeing. The rooms for the most part were clean, my daughter slept on the pull out couch which was a little uncomfortable for her, but was nice because she had privacy and could watch her own television. The breakfast was nice and area was clean. Because we were so busy we never experienced the evening snack, but I am sure it was good. We would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Todd H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for posting this review of your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you pointed out, we are close to many of the downtown attractions and most are within walking distance. I hope you decide to stay with us next time you are in San Antonio and that you are able to partake in the evening meal. Thank you for your business, we truly appreciate it.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

If you follow my reviews you will know that I love the Homewood Suites Brand.

This is one of the few times I have stayed at a Homewood Downtown, the only other time is in Chicago.

This property is ideal because it is right on The River Walk and near things like the Alamo. My wife who went for the trip really appreciated the location as she could walk everywhere.

The suites are huge with lots of room to lounge and work in. My wife commented on how clean the suites were.

We had breakfast there every morning and the food was good. It is nice to have the breakfast at the hotel as it saves money and we do not have to leave the hotel to find breakfast.

All the service people we encountered were very friendly.

The one thing that stands out for me is that we asked for two beds and we checked a number of times before the visit and they confirmed two beds. The surprise is when we got to the hotel there was two beds. You do not know how important this is to your clients that you deliver what you say you will. I have been to other hotels and they do not have the two beds and may have to move you the next day. Not a good start after a long plane ride. Great job Homewood San Antonio!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Todd H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you very much for this review of your stay with us. Your feedback is critical to our success and you should know that we appreciate it. We do our best to make sure every guest received the bed types they reserve and I am glad you received the two beds you reserved. We truly appreciate your business and hope to have you back as our guests next time you are in San Antonio.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was surprised not only by the enormous size of our room but also by how much free food they serve down in the lobby! We were there for a wedding so weren't able to take advantage of the early dinners (everything from chicken parm with salad and breadsticks to beef stroganoff!) but the breakfasts were pretty incredible. My only regret is that the waffle line was so long :) Rooms were clean and staff very pleasant and helpful

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased you found our suites enormous and that you were able to partake in our breakfast buffet. Next time you stay with us I hope you are able to bet a Belgian waffle. They are really very tasty. Thank you for choosing Homewood Suites. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

It really was perfect for us. The front desk staff went out of their way to answer our every question and make great suggestions! The morning breakfast staff made sure we had apples and oranges to eat this morning on our way to the airport even though the regular buffet hadn't started. Location was convenient, the views of the river were fun. We would definitely stay there again!

Paul K

Room Tip: If you book the suite as we did, their policy is to only change bed linens once every two days. Th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Todd H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is always great when we hear from our guests that our hotel was perfect for their needs. We also love to hear when our guests say they will stay with us again. Thank you for your business. We truly appreciate it.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My family and I stayed at this property March 19-21, 2014. Upon arrival, at 3:15 PM, the valet greeted us with a smile and quickly and professionally assisted us in unpacking the car. This property's location is quite nice, it was quiet in the evenings however it was a quick walk to the action. The desk staff was friendly. The lobby was clean, nicely decorated, comfortable to lounge in, and smelled of "rose water."

We were told our room was not ready, that we could check the bags, and we would be called when the room was ready. We checked the bags, left a number where we could be reached and left the hotel to do some sightseeing. We returned to the hotel at 7:15-7:30, having heard nothing, to find the room ready. We booked a two room, three bed suite, as I have at other properties in the past. This particular room was nothing more than two separate adjoined rooms, which lends itself to an awkward layout. While housekeeping did a fine job, the room itself looked poorly kept. The furniture was well worn and "wobbly." The bed felt saggy and worn.The baths were small, worn and the caulking mildewed. We found breakfast lacking and underwhelming, more in keeping with a budget hotel. Had we been staying longer than two nights we would have moved to a different hotel. This room genuinely felt "old and worn."

After looking through the positive reviews for this hotel on this and other sites, it seems as we had the "family room." The room reserved for those travelling with children. A room beaten and bruised by tiny feet. I am disappointed in myself for spending $465.84 a night here.

In summary, the prime location was not enough to justify the premium price.

In comparison, the Hyatt House, two bedroom, three bed suite we stayed in on the last night of our trip at a THIRD the price, was twice the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kenneth R
Todd H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to hear our staff took great care of you upon your arrival. I apologize if you felt your suite felt "old and worn" and I will certainly share your comments with the ownership of the property. It is my hope that you mentioned your issues with a member of my team and they were able to assist you in making things right. If not, please feel free to reach out to me. We truly appreciate you staying with us and will work hard to earn back your business.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at the Homewood Suites several times and it's been consistently a great experience. The rooms/suites are comfortable and always very clean. The staff is polite and helpful. Great value for the price. Well managed -- we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silvia A

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate your repeat business and hope to have you as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were a group of 3 females from the UK staying at Homewood Suites whilst at a conference. The suites are very convenient for the short walk to the convention centre. Luckily we each had our own suite, which was all different in lay out but very generous in size. My only negative comment about the room was that the air conditioning unit was very loud and rattled a lot. I was convinced that there was someone living in it. Although it wasn’t a real problem as the room was cool enough to sleep without it.

Staying for 7 nights we made full use of the facilities. Breakfast provides a good choice of options, we enjoyed waffle days. We also made full use of the evening free wine, beer and margaritas’. We didn’t eat any of the evening food as we dine out but it looked popular and would be ideal if we were travelling with our families. Having the roof top pool was a nice way to spend an hour post conference to relax with a beer.

Previous reviews had stated that the suites were not that close to the river walk. You have the choice of using the steps right next to the suites or walk across a couple of blocks and join there. As an all female group we felt safe at all times and walked everywhere.

Staff at the suites were very welcoming and helpful especially Destiny and Laura. It was great to see that all the staff appeared to enjoy their work from the waiting staff at breakfast, maintenance guys through to housekeeping. I know wifi is free a lot in the USA but as a Brit it was great to have free access in the hotel.

I would certainly recommend Homewood suites and if I return with my family would definitely book again.

Room Tip: I had room 806 which was slightly lacking in a view but high enough to avoid noise from the street...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post this review of your recent stay with us. Feedback from our guests is paramount to our success. I apologize for the noisy air conditioning unit you experienced. I will have my maintenance team take care of that right away. I appreciate you pointing out that we are close to the river walk (actually right on it) and that you felt safe walking everywhere. I will thank both Laura and Destiny for taking great care of you. Lastly, thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business.