“Excellent, in almost all aspects”

Omni San Antonio Hotel
Ranked #20 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
TXL
“Excellent, in almost all aspects”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Whenever my parents are in town, I put them in this hotel. I highly value the consistency of their performance as well as the hassle free operation. No parking issues at all, direct access to the interstate system, well equipped, and in a rather safe part of the town. They always try to accommodate my specific needs, such as providing me with a micro fridge. The amenities are excellent, the lobby is very nice, and the room is adequate. The property is non-smoking since January with the poor area being the only exception.

Slight downsides though: the pool is heavily used by children, so it might get crowded and loud. Furthermore, the pool needs to be cleaned more often since it is is quite questionable to have a band aid flowing by when doing your lanes. Furthermore, one of the parking exits is usually blocked and you need to go off the main exit. This exit is inconveniently located after a small hill and blocks your view of the access road and incoming traffic.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank super-grobi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Houston
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here over Easter and enjoyed it. We got our room last-minute, through a discount travel site, after being disappointed by an economy hotel we had originally booked for the trip. We were immediately impressed with the level of service at this hotel, which is on par with its high star rating. I often bargain-hunt for a hotel when all I need is a reliable and clean place to sleep. However, sometimes it's nice to stay at a hotel where just relaxing in the room can feel like vacation. Our king-bed corner room was like that. Nice view, luxurious bed, good TV, and a mini-bar just in case. The staff was very friendly here, too, and service was on par with its high star rating. The hotel is older, so the hallway carpet and ceilings look a little bit dated. There was an isolated issue of an inconsiderate guest smoking in the hallway, and there was a ton of Lysol in the air. (I gave an "average" for cleanliness, but average for a 4-star hotel.) However, the very friendly staff graciously took care of this by changing our room, and this did not diminish our enjoyment of the room. The bathroom fixtures (tub, shower head), while also a bit older and smaller, were still nice and relatively luxurious. The gym and pool facilities were outstanding, and my fiancee enjoyed a nice workout while I was off training on my bicycle.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a view of the city on due to having windows on two walls.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank A B
HOUSTON
Reviewed 17 March 2012

was there for a large convention. The room was quiet and well appointed, except for the tattered bathroom rug and a few stains on the carpet. The food was well above average for feeding 600-700 people. The free surface parking was abundant. The neighboring amenities (business class) was appreciated. Would happily stay there again as the need arises.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lhobbs
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I've read a lot of mixed reviews, and I'm not sure where the negative ones are coming from. We stayed at the Omni on the Colonnade on our wedding night, and it was great. I called ahead, and let them know, and the customer service was top notch. They gave me an early check-in, and it was like everyone on the staff knew, because I got several congratulations. Upon arrival I went to the bar to ask for a couple champagne glasses for later, and not only did they give me glasses, but also a champagne bottle bucket (i know its not anything huge, but it was great customer service.) After our amazing wedding, we finally made it back to the hotel around 1am, entered our room to find a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, and a note of congratulations from Chelsea(the room controller, i believe). The added touches that this hotel gave us, certainly made for an outstanding stay. Thank you so much for helping make our wedding weekend so memorable.

Rest of the details
Spacious King room, very clean hotel all over, indoor pool was great, too cold for outside. Bed was super comfy, staff was very nice, and maybe we were there on an off weekend, but there was tons of parking in the lot.

Room Tip: King room on a high floor. Fast elevator, and very quiet. We were on 18.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy P
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you very much for this review and also for choosing us to be a part of your special night. We pride ourselves on service and it's great to see that it all came together for you during your stay. We hope to see you return many times in the future and look forward to you returning again. Thank you and safe travels!
Argyle, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Honestly, I feel like I've stumbled onto a gem. I booked the omni because it was the best rate I could find for spring break (when room rates double or triple in SA). What luck! They are exceeding our expectations at every turn. There were Gifts for the kids at check-in! A really nice indoor & outdoor pool surrounded by nice families (complete with dining & bar service!) was stocked with toys and warm luxurious towels. Room service was speedy & tasted great. They hosted a free big screen movie night in the lounge with snacks. our room is lovely on the 17th floor. The cookies & milk at turn-down service were a nice touch. Perhaps if you look really hard, you might see evidence of the hotel's age, but with it comes character & a reminder of how the hospitality industry operated in its golden age.

Now, there are nice programs, but then there are also the less quantifiable things... The small courtesies of the staff that make being far from home so much more comfortable. Here, they really succeed.

We have found "our place" in San Antonio.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Texasfamily1977
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Upon my arrival my check in was a breeze because I was a rewards member. This was my first time staying in an Omni hotel and I literally just had to find my name and my keys on the board. I was in my room in 5 minutes. Room was very big and very clean. Room service menu was a bit limited, but okay for the price. Hotel has a shuttle service available. There isn't a lot of "fast" options available for food. There is an HEB within walking distance if you need anything. My room faced the highway, the road noise was very loud and disturbing. The staff was amazing. They really went above and beyond, they are what makes the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel isn't half bad, but I would consider the neighborhood and some of their practices a little questionable. My husband and I are always up for a challenge and have previously stayed at some "questionable" locations in different cities. Parking is horrific...never been to an Omni where the parking was so bad. Check-in process was easy. I do feel like the staff pre-judged us since we had a "comp" room booked before the actual nights that we to pay out of pocket. On the first check-in, their staff seemed like they had an attitude and were not very helpful. After they acted that way, the bellman stepped in and he was very helpful with offering places to eat, to take luggage up or if there was anything that we needed. He was very cheery and had a pleasant attitude. I called down during the first night to see how to get into this goodie cabinet, I felt like eating some $3 candy bars, and she said that the key wasn't provided? Hmm...right, thats the reason I'm calling. Cut to the next morning, I go check-out and check back in as the real "Platinum Select Guest Account" me. I tried to tell the young lady what I was doing the first day, but she brushed me off. So as I get my pre-checked in beverages, tickets, and information it was all apologies and shock then. They just seemed more attentive for some reason. I decided to leave the hotel and come back to see what would happen and of course I had water, ice, turn down service, cabinet key, welcome letters.....you name it..I had it. I really enjoyed the breakfast at this particular location, but Omni you need to do something with the young ladies at the front desk. When "attitude" comes across in facial expression and words, that is not a good thing. When someone else behind me sees it too and mentions it on the elevator, then it was DEFINITELY not my imagination. Room overall was clean...the trays stay in the hall a little too long for my liking, but other than that I enjoyed the rest of my stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank slbutler81
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you for your review of your time with us. The issue with the staff you mentioned at check in is not acceptable, and will address with our team to ensure it is not repeated. We appreciate you being loyal to the Omni Chain and this is not the way it should be rewarded. Thank you again and we know that on your next visit with us, we will redeem any issues you had during this stay. Thank you and safe travels.