“Great Hotel”

Omni San Antonio Hotel
Ranked #21 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed here during our vacation during which we visited Fiesta Texas and Seaworld. The Omni was an excellent choice due to its close location to both parks. There are several top notched eating establishments within walking distance which is always a plus. The hotel is very clean, employees are very friendly and we will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendell S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,104)

Reviewed 26 May 2012

My company had paid for my 8 day stay at this Omni hotel. The room was very spacious and the house keeping always kept my room well stocked with bath essentials. The lobby was absolutely beautiful! The ammenties include but were not limited to outdoor and indoor pool w/ jacuzzi, gym, and sauna. The staff was very accomodating and friendly.

Now I do have to complain in regards to the Trainee check-in employee. My company had paid for my stay through Expedia...and she put all of my room charges to my personal credit card. I had checked in twice in seperate occasions (checked out on Friday and checked back in on Sunday). I thought should would know better the 2nd time around, but she ended up charging my company card twice! Fortunately the check-out staff was very experienced and corrected the issue that occured twice. BEWARE when you check in! Especially when you have pre-paid for your room they WILL charge you again.

For an Omni hotel I really thought their staff would be 5x better than I had experienced. The hotel room, house keeping, room service, and ammenities were great. It's horrible how a 4 star stay can be rated as poor due to inexperienced staff given responsibility to check in guests.

Room Tip: Request for a high floor with beautiful views of San Antonio
1  Thank Thea R
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stay here frequently for business as I do not have the luxury of selecting my own hotel. The wireless network doesn't work about half of the time, the work out room is sweltering, the running map from the front desk is a tour of local parking lots, the outdoor pool is dirty, the rooms are poorly lit...

On the plus side, check in is quick and the breakfast buffet is great.

1  Thank Calsee
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband attended a conference held at this hotel so I tagged along. Our room was on the 12th floor with a very nice view of the sunrise each morning. We had a reservation for a king bed suite with a seperate living area and kitchenette but on arrival were told that our room had been given away. We ended up with a king bed with a hide-a-bed couch. Smaller than expected but o.k. Had latte's at the little coffee shop every morning. Sweet little lady working there was very friendly and helpful. The gentleman at the concierge desk was very helpful with directions and information on the downtown area. There are two pools, one indoor one out. We used the indoor pool and hot tub since we had rainy cool weather. Plenty of clean towels available at the pool. This hotel is about 10 miles from the downtown area were most of the tourist attractions are. With a GPS I was able to navigate around town fairly well. This hotel was nice and I would probably stay here again for business. If your going to San Antonio to see tourist attractions I would suggest staying downtown.

2  Thank planegirl
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We recently stayed here for 4 nights for a business trip and thus had not rented a car for this portion of the trip. The hotel is pretty far away from San Antonio proper and the hotel's shuttle (there is only 1) will take guests only as far as a shopping center where you catch a city bus. This was fine going into town, a little inconvenient but ok. It was coming back that really caused a problem. When you got back to the bus parking lot, the shuttle was not always available (in my case, never), and I ended up having to call a taxi, an added expense.

Additionally, there was Fiesta going on (we didn't know about this huge party, not being from the area), and one one of the days I tried to go to town, the entire town was blocked off and there was no transportation. The shuttle was not available for me, so I asked if the staff would be able to call a cab for the downtown trip. They did, but it was the cab driver who told me that everything was shut down and that he could not take me there - the buses were not running, the trolley was not running - nothing. It is my opinion that the staff at the hotel, all of whom are familiar with the area, should have told me about this. The cab, of course, expected to be paid, regardless, so I was in a pickle. Just bad timing but also bad communication.

The front desk staff did not have us as members, so we had to ask for the little perks that come with that membership. The water that was supposed to be provided came again only after we asked and was room temperature. Really all minor complaints, but I expected better service from an Omni Hotel.

Food at the restaurant was fine - Mr. Hererra, the chef at the breakfast buffet, is a real gem - very friendly and knowledgeable.

Internet kept going down and I had trouble with staying on once I was able to log in. When I wanted to print something, I expected that there would be a business office where I could print. But, no. The only computer available to guests was in the lobby. Since I already had my computer, I didn't need one, but I needed a printer. The front desk said if I had a flash drive with me, they would download whatever it was I needed and then print it for me. Nice offer, but I had not thought to bring a flash drive.

Having said all that, the hotel is attractive. The room we were in was quite nice - very comfortable and the A/C worked well. And it was very clean. It was pretty quiet, although there was a small dog next door (the management sent us an apology letter and a cheese plate because of the noise - thank you!), that did bark. The athletic room was nice, as was the pool. So, some good and some not so good. Were I to come back to San Antonio, I believe I would prefer to stay at their sister hotel, which is downtown and much more convenient for those traveling as companions to spouses in business meetings. We did get to that hotel just to see it, and it also looked very nice.

Room Tip: Unless you are traveling with a dog, choose a room away from the 5th floor where dogs are allowed.
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for just a little more than $100 when booking through Orbitz. Upon arrival the hotel is immaculate. Located just off I-10 West bound it is easy to get to. The room was very clean, spacious, and the bed was very comfortable! They do have a mini fridge, and the items are over priced as almost all hotels are ( supply and demand ). No big complaints... The bathroom was a little small, but it was fine in the end. I would stay here again if he price was competitive and pay a little more that others for the setting.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Pabrown210432
Reviewed 27 April 2012

It had literally been years since I stayed at an Omni hotel, yet I was welcomed like a frequent and valued guest. Such was the excellent treatment I received at the Omni Colonnade.

When last I stayed at an Omni – the Omni Shoreham in the Adams-Morgan area of Washington, D.C. in 2006 - I signed up for the Select Guest program, which may have played a part in the treatment I received.

Even before I arrived, I received a personal e-mail from the hotel’s “loyalty ambassador” – not an auto-generated marketing piece – asking if there was any information I needed or if there was anything she could do in advance of my arrival to make my stay more enjoyable.

When I arrived at the Omni Colonnade, I was upgraded to a suite with a separate living/working space. At 410 square feet, it was a very nice space to call “home” for the three days that would follow. While there were a few minor shortcomings, it was nicely appointed with a workstation, sofa and flat-screen TV in the living room, and a comfortable bed and flat-screen TV in the bedroom.

Rooms at the Omni have the usual amenities, including a safe large enough for laptop computers, in-room coffee, iron and ironing board. In addition, the Omni has placed a small bottle of spray starch in each guest room. There is a charge of $2.95 if you use it, but if you need that dress shirt or blouse to look crisp, it’s $3 well-spent.

The rooms also include minibars, which are rapidly disappearing from most hotels, and wireless Internet access that is free for Select Guest members.

Benefits of being a Select Guest go beyond free Wi-Fi. The most delightful treat was the option
to have a complimentary morning beverage delivered to my door at the time of my choosing, along with a morning newspaper.

Select Guests can choose up to two complimentary beverages per guest in the room. Fresh coffee - always much better than the packaged, make-it-yourself-in-your-room coffee - is offered along with tea, juice, hot chocolate, milk, bottled water, soft drinks, or Red Bull.

For a modest additional charge, guests can also get an English muffin, toasted bagel, croissant, muffing, fresh fruit, or Greek yogurt. Prices range from $1.25 for the fruit to $3.50 for the yogurt. Everything else was $2.25, plus tax but without a delivery charge. Very modest indeed when compared to room service.

Service was excellent. Staff members at the Omni were uniformly helpful and courteous, with everyone offering a “Good morning!” or “Good evening!” whether at the front door, in the lobby, or in the hall. One gentleman even pulled his cart out of the elevator and offered it to me, saying, “You’re my guest!” even though I would have been happy to share it with him.
The hotel also has a well-equipped fitness center, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and spa services available at an additional charge.

I noticed a few shortcomings during my stay. One was the lack of outlets to plug in the various electronics with which most of us travel. The workspace was fine, but the nearest plug (just one) was six feet away, so I plugged my laptop into that outlet and my cell phone charged in the bathroom. A colleague said his room had outlets at the workstation, so it appears some rooms may need a bit of an update.

The second hiccup involved the use of the complimentary shuttle, which runs to and from the airport at the top of the hour, but only when needed. Guests must make reservations to use the shuttle, and that requirement isn’t made as clear as it should be. In these days of high fuel prices, it makes sense not to drive more than necessary, but it’s important to know that reservations – both from and to the airport – are a necessity.

The largest drawback is that the Omni Colonnade is a $30 cab ride from San Antonio’s famous Paseo del Rio, or River Walk. However, if you don’t have to – or don’t WANT to – stay on the River Walk, I highly recommend the Omni Colonnade.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business