Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$64
Crockett Hotel(San Antonio)
US$282
US$130
US$318
US$279
US$175
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
US$115
US$325
US$279
US$290
US$241
  • Restaurant
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
US$179
US$174
Omni Hotels
Menger Hotel(San Antonio)
US$205
US$154
Hotels.com
US$256
All reviewsold jailhistoric buildingbexar countyfront deskhi expressthe river walkmarket squareriverwalk areawithin walking distancefree breakfasthot breakfastmajor attractionslate at nightbreakfast staffper nightstaff was very friendly and helpfulnice pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We selected this hotel because it is on the register of national historic sites, having been a former county jail. We understood that it would likely have been renovated through the years, and not necessarily a typical five-star accommodation. We did not want to spend more of our vacation dollars on a room that we would, for the most part, be away from while enjoying the city. The location was perfect, within walking distance of most major attractions, including the Alamo, Market Square, River Walk, and museums. The room was spacious and, all except for one night when the spring break crowd checked in, very quiet. We received exceptional service from two front desk employees, Monica and Monique. They scheduled an Alamo Grand Tour for us, assisted us to find places on the city map, arranged for our taxi, and recommended fine dining. We felt the entire staff was attentive and helpful. My only criticism is that the water flow from the shower was restricted; I suspect that was done on purpose to conserve water. The hotel provided good value for the money spent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Felipe G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you Jim and Sher, we value your feedback and I will be sure to acknowledge both Monica and Monique for helping to make your visit in San Antonio even better then planned!

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Came in with a group, so we didn't have much say on where to stay. It wasn't a bad hotel and had a cool history with it being the old jail. However, if you are looking for an extremely nice hotel in downtown, this isn't it. The room I was in was fairly small, but adequate. The bed wasn't real comfortable. One thing I thought about the room that was odd was the smell. I can't pin point what it was, but it was there the whole trip and air freshener didn't help at all. Other than that, it wasn't a bad stay the breakfast and all of the staff were good.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Jason M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Historic Holiday Inn Express Riverwalk hotel! I am sorry to hear that the accommodations where not exactly what you were hoping for. It is our goal and pleasure to ensure everyone who stays with us leaves happy and satisfied! You can be sure that I will be looking into that musty smell issue in your room. We are working hard to renovate our hotel however due to it's historical significance we have to do so within guidelines. I do hope that you will give us another chance when visiting San Antonio again in the future!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I checked in very tired and needing a quick nap before I had work obligations. I discovered I had no shower curtain. I called the front desk. About 15 minutes later I told a housekeeper on my floor. It ended up taking almost an hour to get a shower curtain. No Nap. The closet door won't stay closed. The next day as I am working at the desk using my laptop, my desk chair was swapped out with a clean one so mine could be cleaned. The new chair is fabric and padded.....and was soaking wet from being cleaned. I guess they thought I needed to stop working for a couple hours. Noise carries too well in this hotel. The rooms are very small. The internet seems slow.

The interesting part of this hotel, to some people, is that it used to be a jail. Executions were performed at the jail. They did the hangings on the second floor utilizing a trap door.

End result is that I am checking out 1 day early and will be staying at another hotel chain and won't be staying at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: The best way to get a good room is to stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Henry B,

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you've left unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the housekeeping issues you've raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Funky hotel blocks away from the Riverwalk. One elevator for 5 floors which made it a long wait at best. Staff preoccupied with personal calls or visits from boyfriends blocking the parking lot. Room was fine though a bit scrunched maybe due to being a county jail years ago. And the hallway had a distinct odor of mold or mildew. Not a great hotel but was somewhat inexpensive for this city. We would go elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the parking fee to be waived. If you are a HIE regular, they will do it for you. Also, getting your luggage up is burdensome do to the elevator being in the back of the hotel and only two luggage trollies available, so some guests had to lug baggage up the front stairs...no regular check in parking available. Wierd place.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear johnnyfaberdeen,

Thank you for the candid feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve the quality of product and service that we offer.

We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel has an interesting history. Rooms were older but very clean and comfortable. Location is fair, you can easily walk to riverwalk and the market. The staff here is awesome, friendly and helpful. Breakfast is exceptional for a small hotel. Overall i would stay here over and over again.

• Stayed: February 2014

Arc1969,

Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy to be your hotel of choice while in San Antonio! We hope to see you again real soon!