I don't think I've ever stayed at a hotel where the pillows are rated for softness- but there was the rating, embroidered on the pillow case! A choice of soft or firm, and I could feel the difference.
We had an emergency trip to Texas & had to overnight in San Antonio before our flight home the next morning. We found the Holiday Inn Express in a coupon book we picked up in a tourist center. The price was right, as was the proximity to the Riverwalk so we decided to stay. The hotel is located on a side street off one of the major routes through town (Commerce?) on the periphery of the Riverwalk area, near the colonial governors mansion.
Our room was a corner room on the third floor facing the street- one of the rooms with the bars from the jail still on the window. The layout was different; we entered the room, took a dogleg right past a coffee nook and the bathroom to get to the sleeping area. The ceiling in the entry way was standard height; in the sleeping area the ceiling was about 12 foot, with the air conditioner located on the wall between the two ceilings. The room was outfitted with a king size bed, end table with clock radio, desk with hard wired internet access (wifi also available), TV with cable access, a mini-refrigerator and microwave. The decorations were simple and elegant- the sole exceptions being the mirrored closet door (which was off its hinges; we notified the front desk and it was repaired quickly) and a window valence that looked like it was hastily repaired.
The bed was very comfortable; not as firm as mine at home, but not as soft as the pillow I chose. The linens were soft and the comforter light. It was easy to figure out how to set the alarm on the clock radio for our early wake-up (we also asked and received a wake-up call from the front desk). The wifi connection was similarly easy and fast. The air conditioner chilled the room nicely- and quietly. Our room was very quiet- no noise from the adjacent room or nearby streets. The interstate is a few blocks away, and I could not hear it.
Clean bathrooms are important to me- and this one was spotless. It took me a moment to figure out how to adjust the showerhead, but once I did the flow was nice and powerful.
Parking is available across the street or at the hotel. The rate for the hotel is higher. I would recommend parking across the street, as the lot at the hotel looked tricky to maneuver. The hotel also has a very small pool and jacuzzi- the size of the pool is really the size of a large jacuzzi. I did not partake, but my partner enjoyed a quick dip.
I cannot rate the breakfast; we were up and out the door before breakfast service started.
Do take a look in the business center to see the articles on the criminals that were housed or hanged when the hotel was a prison, and ask for the flyer about the hotel's history at the front desk.
For a budget trip to San Antonio I would definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- San Antonio Hotel Near a Variety of Attractions The historic atmosphere, excellent accommodations and friendly staff make the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in San Antonio, Texas near the Alamo, River Walk area, and Trolley perfect for both business and leisure travelers.Our hotel in San Antonio, TX is conveniently located within walking distance from the Alamo and the world-famous San Antonio River Walk. Visitors may enjoy shopping at La Villita Historic Arts Village, Rivercenter Mall and Market Square, the largest Mexican marketplace outside Mexico. Ride the local trolley to the many attractions within a mile of our hotel, such as the Tower of the America and IMAX theater.Business travelers benefit from the great location of this historic hotel in San Antonio, TX. We are situated near Valera Energy Corporation, Coca Cola and Pepsi bottling companies, Boeing and Fort Sam Houston. Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center and the Alamodome are a mile from our San Antonio, Texas hotel, which features free high-speed Internet access and a 24-hour business center.From the complimentary hot breakfast bar to the flow-regulated Kohler showerheads, our accommodations go beyond cheap hotels in San Antonio. Relax in the pool and whirlpool, work out in the fitness center and rest comfortably every night in a triple-sheeted bed with four pillows. You'll receive excellent service and amenities while lodging in our San Antonio, Texas hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, IHG and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express San Antonio North Hotel San Antonio
- Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area Texas