“pillows rated for softness...” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area
Ranked #129 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Franklin, Massachusetts
“pillows rated for softness...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2009

I don't think I've ever stayed at a hotel where the pillows are rated for softness- but there was the rating, embroidered on the pillow case! A choice of soft or firm, and I could feel the difference.

We had an emergency trip to Texas & had to overnight in San Antonio before our flight home the next morning. We found the Holiday Inn Express in a coupon book we picked up in a tourist center. The price was right, as was the proximity to the Riverwalk so we decided to stay. The hotel is located on a side street off one of the major routes through town (Commerce?) on the periphery of the Riverwalk area, near the colonial governors mansion.

Our room was a corner room on the third floor facing the street- one of the rooms with the bars from the jail still on the window. The layout was different; we entered the room, took a dogleg right past a coffee nook and the bathroom to get to the sleeping area. The ceiling in the entry way was standard height; in the sleeping area the ceiling was about 12 foot, with the air conditioner located on the wall between the two ceilings. The room was outfitted with a king size bed, end table with clock radio, desk with hard wired internet access (wifi also available), TV with cable access, a mini-refrigerator and microwave. The decorations were simple and elegant- the sole exceptions being the mirrored closet door (which was off its hinges; we notified the front desk and it was repaired quickly) and a window valence that looked like it was hastily repaired.

The bed was very comfortable; not as firm as mine at home, but not as soft as the pillow I chose. The linens were soft and the comforter light. It was easy to figure out how to set the alarm on the clock radio for our early wake-up (we also asked and received a wake-up call from the front desk). The wifi connection was similarly easy and fast. The air conditioner chilled the room nicely- and quietly. Our room was very quiet- no noise from the adjacent room or nearby streets. The interstate is a few blocks away, and I could not hear it.

Clean bathrooms are important to me- and this one was spotless. It took me a moment to figure out how to adjust the showerhead, but once I did the flow was nice and powerful.

Parking is available across the street or at the hotel. The rate for the hotel is higher. I would recommend parking across the street, as the lot at the hotel looked tricky to maneuver. The hotel also has a very small pool and jacuzzi- the size of the pool is really the size of a large jacuzzi. I did not partake, but my partner enjoyed a quick dip.

I cannot rate the breakfast; we were up and out the door before breakfast service started.

Do take a look in the business center to see the articles on the criminals that were housed or hanged when the hotel was a prison, and ask for the flyer about the hotel's history at the front desk.

For a budget trip to San Antonio I would definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mykal
ttribby, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
Thank you for the review & we are pleased you liked the pillows!
We appreciate your feedback & use it to improve our business.
Please contact us first, the next time you are making plans to visit San Antonio.
We would love to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Colonial Heights, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2009

In Jan 09, this hotel changed from a Comfort Inn Alamo to the Holiday Inn Express.

The first time I stayed here was for one week in Feb 09. Since my experience was mediocre at best, I decided to wait and write my review after my second or third visit due to the recent transfer from Comfort Inn to Holiday Inn Express. This review is based upon my third visit. (I stayed here in Feb., Mar., and now Apr. 09) In Feb. I could understand all of the Comfort Inn reminents such as the internet connection stating the wireless network was the Comfort Inn, the postcards, and do not disturb signs also reflected the Comfort Inn. In Feb. and Mar., the breakfast food was guaranteed to be leftovers from the day before or so minimal that you actually had to try and find someone to replenish the breakfast bar regardless of the hour. The breakfast bar is better but still not to the same standard as a typical Holiday Inn Express. Also, if you really want to know the cleanliness of the hotel, wear your white socks in the room and you can see the obvious..my socks were BLACK!!! If you don't mind loud doors and a below average breakfast for a Holiday Inn Express Hotel, definitely stay here because the staff and location are above average!

One more note: if you are disabled, and need handicap access, do not stay here. Parking is across the street and not easy to access. The front steps also do not include a ramp however the side of the building does include a ramp. The elevator is also at the end of the hotel and not easily accessible.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LoriLions
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
Thank you so much for your review and feedback.
We appreciate your words & use them to enhance our service & product.
Please contact us first, when you plan to visit San Antonio again.
We would love to see you again.
Fairfield, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

What a great place to stay. Myself, my sister, my 5 year old nephew and a friend stayed here for my brothers graduation from the Air Force at Lackland AFB. The AFB was about a 20 minute ride, which had we stayed at a hotel on base my brother could had visited us on his base pass (just for future grads families). But this place was a real treat if you are staying to visit the Riverwalk. I would recommend driving the short distance to the Riverwalk and parking closer. That is only because of all the walking we did while we were on base. The Alamo is only about a mile from the hotel if you are the adventure type with more energy than we had. Sea World is only about 15 minutes drive.
The hotel was very clean and wonderfully decorated. It is a historical site, being a former county jail in the early 1900's. The people at the desk were very nice. On our late arrival at 12am the lady at the desk heard us say we were hungry and put together a little goodie bag of some fruit, cookies and water.
Not much parking at the hotel, but for $8 a day they have a bigger parking lot just around the corner with a quick shortcut to walk back to the hotel.
Our room had a microwave, coffee maker and a fridge. The beds were oh so comfy and were very clean. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was great.. muffins, waffles, toast, cereal, eggs, sausage or bacon, biscuits and gravy. Along with various juices, coffee, tea and milk. Served at 6am during week and 7am on weekends.
No traffic noise, nor any noise for those that are light sleepers.
This was a 10 out of all the hotels I have stayed.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank rdsmom98
Wow!
Thank you for your review. Your comments & feedback is appreciated.
Please contact us first, then next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
We would love to see you again!
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

This hotel became a Holiday Inn Express earlier this year.

I chose the Holiday Inn Express because of the reliability of the brand and the location. I was not disappointed by anything! The place is immaculate and the people are extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious, with extremely comfortable beds. You will pay for parking (across the street), but you will pay any where you stay near the Riverwalk. The neighborhood is, as the other reviewer said, "in transition." We were not comfortable walking to the Riverwalk at night (and it was too cold that day!), so we took a cab for $5. The lady at the front desk was great about telling us where to eat and calling the cab for us.
The most memorable event happened when I left my diamond ring (think $20,000 or so) on the bathroom counter. I haven't done that in 26 years of marriage....but that is beside the point. When I realized it was gone that day and raced back to the hotel, my heart sunk when I walked in the room and saw that the maid had already serviced it. But right there where I left them lay my rings! I was so grateful and found the maid to thank her for not being tempted.......She found me quite amusing I think. I'm sure it never occured to her to do anything else but leave them right there.
I highly recommend this hotel! If you decide to stay there, realize that it is kind of hard to tell that this is the hotel. The sign is up on top of the building (5 stories) with no other indication except a small sign on the parking lot.

• Stayed February 2009
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review & great comments.
We appreciate hearing your feedback.
Please contact us first, when making plans to visit San Antonio.
We would love to see you again,
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

Note: This property changed from a Comfort Inn to a Holiday Inn Express earlier this month.

This place is a seriously good value. If you have money to blow, definitely stay right on the riverwalk at one of the fancier places. But if you're looking for bang for your buck, then this is your place. For only about $100 a night, the property was only about 3 blocks away from the riverwalk and about 3 blocks from the Market Square area. The area surrounding the hotel was, well, in transition? There is some new development towards the Market Square, but there were some closed-up shopfronts in the vicinity. I was mildly worried about leaving my car in the lot across the street ($8 per day), but luckily nothing bad happened. Perhaps the homeless guy doing his ab workout in the lot in the afternoons watched over it. The walk into downtown is pleasant by day, but at night the area seemed a bit dodgy. We didn't have any problems, but it's not a place for hanging out on the streets after midnight by yourself. The building itself was a former prison and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places- it was turned into a hotel in 2004. The interior is rather generically hotel-like- nice, but it would have been cool if they had incorporated a few elements of the building's former use. They did keep the original windows, and the rooms towards the front still have the bars on them- but otherwise, you could be in any chain hotel anywhere in America. However, sometimes generic is nice- the rooms were well-appointed, the bathroom was huge, the bed was comfortable, and the rooms all had free internet. The breakfast definitely left something to be desired- I would have just skipped it and gotten something at Starbucks. The best part of the stay, however, was the hotel staff. Destiny, Cristal and Luke- you guys were great! They were super knowledgeable about getting around the city and to shopping centers in the area, and always willing to help out. After a day of sight-seeing, they would welcome you back with a smile and a How was your day? just like a roommate or a friend would. The hotel has its pros and cons, but for the price it really can't be beat.

• Liked — hotel staff, free internet, good value
  • Disliked — semi-gross breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thanks for the great review.
We appreciate your words and feedback.
Please contact us, the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
We would love to see you again!