“Great Value for the Price”

Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area
Ranked #129 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 6 December 2009

I was here Nov.29-Dec.5 rm. 212 for an educational conference. I did most of my survey of the building the night of Nov. 29. Contrary to a report, this building has 5 floors- not 3.
The room is surprisingly large. About 22 x 15 feet. The room was clean and was equipped with a table and a chair that was surprisingly comfortable to lean back onto. I had 2 queen beds. The beds were firm. Each bed had 4 pillows- 2 labeled firm and 2 labeled soft although I did not notice any difference between them.
There is a 20-25 inch TV with cable TV. Free wireless and wired internet which worked quite well. Watched a video on my netbook with few video pauses- not enough to irritate me. You can even print from the room and pick it up downstairs.
The locker or dresser did not have a door. They did not have DO NOT DISTURB sign that you can hang on the outside door.
There was a larger than the usual fridge, a microwave, coffeemaker, ice bucket, ironing board, hair dryer and a flatiron. One proble is the location of the coffee maker. It was on top of a cabinet making pouring the water in a little difficult unless you were taller than 6 feet. The combined A/C and heater worked well in my room. It was unusually warm when I arrived Nov. 29, so I turned on the A/C. The following week was quite cold and so I used the heater and it worked quite well. Note that the vents can be angled down at or away from the beds.
The bathroom was large, clean and stocked with plush towels stocked with shampoo, conditioner, and 2 bars of soap. They did not have a small lotion that I find in other economy hotels. The showerhead is quite large and as I was playing with it, I found that you can turn the large outer ring to change the spray pattern. The door opens diagonally to the room and if you turn the tv to the door, you can (no offense to anyone) be sitting in the potty and still be watching your favorite show. I know I did so since I was alone.
Pool- The hotel had a pool but do not be misled. It was a tiny one. About the size found in the backyard of most homes. It was closed so I was not able to go and get a more accurate measurement of it.
Breakfast- was surprisingly good. They had either scrambled eggs or egg and cheese. This was paired with either bacon or sausage patties. There was the usual fare of cinnamon rolls, bread, biscuit, coffee, tea, chocolate drink, boxed cereals, orange juice,tea,milk, gravy and cold hard boiled eggs (by the tray) found in a small ref. together with yogurt. It does get a little boring though to eat it for 7 mornings. The breakfast area would be a bit small if the hotel would be fully booked. Breakfast was at 6:30 a.m. (7 for Sat. and Sunday) but the eggs and meat came out usually much later-like 645 or 650. Guess they were still cooking it?
Staff= there is a small front desk manned by helpful people. I did not have the opportunity to interact much with the staff but from the small interaction that I did have, they were all helpful and very friendly. The front desk seemed to be staffed 24 hours. The lady I saw at 11p.m. was the same one I saw the next day at 6 a.m.
Facilities= there is a small business room with 2 computers and a printer. I was able to print my airplane boarding passes free of charge. During my stay, I did not see anybody using the computers.
There are 2 stairwells. One in the front and one at the rear of the building. There is a small stand at the ground floor front stairwell filled with brochures about San Antonio and its sights.
There is only one elevator located to the rear of the building.
Near the front stairs are located the following facilities
2nd floor- ice vending machine and a small machine vending simple medications like Tylenol. Beside it was a small exercise/fitness room with 3 machines. You need your room keycard to enter this room
3rd floor and 5th floor rear stairwell- soda vending machines
4th floor- ice vending machine
5th floor- laundry room. This room has only 1 high efficiency washer and dryer. Please check the washer for your clothes volume. I do not know the sizing of washers but it seems to have a small capacity. The price is $1.25 for both washer and dryer. There is a soap and fabric softener dispenser for $1.00 each. The dryer has a digital readout of the time left. It finished washing my clothes in 3o minutes. The dryer is a bit of a problem. Being electric, it did not feel as hot as my dryer back home. $1.25 runs for 1 hour (yes, I timed it!). My clothes were still damp after a cycle and I just ran another full cycle just to be sure my clothes were dry.
Location= if you make a rough square of downtown San Antonio, this hotel is found within but a little to the edge of the square. However, downtown San Antonio is not that big. I walked to most of the sights.
There is also a VIA trolley system that can get you to most of San Antonio. If you exit the hotel and turn right, you will reach Houston Street. Right at this corner is a stop for the Red line trolley. Around here is also a Domino’s pizza open till I think 1 a.m. If you decide to walk, making a right on Houston will get you to a Subway a few blocks down and further on a Walgreen pharmacy and an entrance to the Riverwalk. There is also a convenience store but I did not check it out. Continue onward and you end up at the Alamo.
The only downside I could say was that the walls were a bit thin. Guest speaking loudly at the hallway could be heard. The area location, however was quiet. There was a nearby interstate about 5 blocks away and I could not even, hear the traffic.
I chose this hotel cuz it was inexpensive and had a fridge, microwave, and a self serve laundry. I would come back to it again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank bigwawao
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

We appreciate your review & feedback.
Thank you very much!
Please call us the next time you plan to visit San Antonio,
We would love to have you as our guest again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area

Reviewed 7 August 2009

Fantastic position in the centre of San Antonio, right on the river walk and very near one of the spots where River Cruises begin. Easy to get to, lots of parking, rooms comfortable but small. However, desk staff were very rude when there was a problem with keys. When asked questions, other staff seemed either not to know, or care, basic answers to services at their hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank wsymes

Wow! what a great review.
We appreciate your feedback & use it to improve our service & product.
Please contact us first, the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
We would love to have you with us again.

Reviewed 27 July 2009

It is an old building, with a couple of bruises, but it is mostly clean and quiet. The best part of the hotel is the staff. They were friendly, helpful and efficient even though the hotel was filled with dozens of screaming kids attending a basketball tournament. The only downside was that the location requires you have to run a gauntlet of beggars if you walk to the Riverwalk.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TimDallas

Thank you for the Wonderful Review.
The Staff appreciates your comments.
We use your words, to help us improve our service & product.
Let us know the next time you plan to visit San Antonio!

Reviewed 8 June 2009

We stayed at this hotel with my in laws for one night on a leisure trip to San Antonio. The rooms are spacious clean and well furnished - the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I even think the breakfast is good for a 'continental' option with bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy in addition to the toast/cereal/bagels you normally find. The location of this hotel is also great - right between the riverwalk and El Mercado districts. I think the hotel should make it more clear that you will have to pay for parking on their lot or across the street, but I think this is pretty standard for downtown San Antonio. Also the pool is tiny - and hot, more like a big hot tub in an alleyway. They have done the best they can with the space, and I guess you dont really expect a nice pool complex at this type of hotel and right downtown.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Kstearn

Wow, thank you for the great review,
We use your words to improve our product & service.
Please call us first, when you plan to visit San Antonio again.
We would love to have you back again,

Reviewed 8 June 2009

A very nice, very reasonable place to stay. Riverwalk access. Beds are a bit hard, but rooms were nice and clean, the most important thing to me. Valet service is super quick.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenrick
ttribby, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

Thank You very much for the review.
We appreciate your words and thoughts.
Please contact us first, when you are making plans to visit San Antonio again.
We would love to have you back again!

Reviewed 10 May 2009

I was very happy with my Holiday Inn Express stay...for someone who travels for business a lot, a place that has free Wi-Fi and breakfast, it is convenient and saves me a lot of time. The staff would talk to me by name and their shuttle down to the River Walk was so great. The rooms were very clean and very spacious. The area around this hotel isn't the best, but there were a lot of police present and with the free shuttle, I had no concerns getting downtown.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank mudhonie

Wow...thank you so much for the review & feedback.
We appreciate your business & hope you call us first, when you are making
plans to visit San Antonio again.

Reviewed 8 May 2009

I visited San Antonio for a conference and during the conference stayed at the Hyatt Regency San Antonio. Afterwards I moved to the Holiday Inn Express N Riverwalk Area because it was a third the price of the Hyatt.

I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that in many ways, the Holiday Inn Express was much better than the Hyatt. For example, the internet was both wired and wireless, and totally free (and without ads). There was no charge for late checkout and a very decent breakfast (e.g. eggs, bacon, muffins, cinnamon rolls, yoghurt, juice, coffee and cereal) was included in the room rate. Reception is 24 hours and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The room even had different grades of pillows (soft and firm)!

Sure, the room wasn't as large as the one at the Hyatt, but it was just as nicely furnished and clean, so no complaints there. The other thing that wasn't as good as the Hyatt as the location, but that's to be expected as the Hyatt is right on the Riverwalk, whereas the Holiday Inn was about 4 blocks away. The walls at the Holiday Inn are also a little thin, so you might be disturbed if there is someone particularly noisy in the room next to you.

You will find the street that the Holiday Inn is on to seem a little unsavoury, but I never had any trouble either at night or during the day. There aren't many restaurants on the block (and the hotel doesn't have room service) but the shuttle service is around the corner - as is a Domino's - and you can easily walk to the Riverwalk area or the Mexican markets precinct.

All in all I thought the Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N Riverwalk Area to be a fantastic find: affordable, comfortable and well-located. I would highly recommend it to both the business and leisure traveller.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Kavya

Your compliments mean so much to us!
We appreciate your review and feedback.
Please contact us first, when you are making plans to come back to San Antonio.
We would love to see you again!