I was here Nov.29-Dec.5 rm. 212 for an educational conference. I did most of my survey of the building the night of Nov. 29. Contrary to a report, this building has 5 floors- not 3.
The room is surprisingly large. About 22 x 15 feet. The room was clean and was equipped with a table and a chair that was surprisingly comfortable to lean back onto. I had 2 queen beds. The beds were firm. Each bed had 4 pillows- 2 labeled firm and 2 labeled soft although I did not notice any difference between them.
There is a 20-25 inch TV with cable TV. Free wireless and wired internet which worked quite well. Watched a video on my netbook with few video pauses- not enough to irritate me. You can even print from the room and pick it up downstairs.
The locker or dresser did not have a door. They did not have DO NOT DISTURB sign that you can hang on the outside door.
There was a larger than the usual fridge, a microwave, coffeemaker, ice bucket, ironing board, hair dryer and a flatiron. One proble is the location of the coffee maker. It was on top of a cabinet making pouring the water in a little difficult unless you were taller than 6 feet. The combined A/C and heater worked well in my room. It was unusually warm when I arrived Nov. 29, so I turned on the A/C. The following week was quite cold and so I used the heater and it worked quite well. Note that the vents can be angled down at or away from the beds.
The bathroom was large, clean and stocked with plush towels stocked with shampoo, conditioner, and 2 bars of soap. They did not have a small lotion that I find in other economy hotels. The showerhead is quite large and as I was playing with it, I found that you can turn the large outer ring to change the spray pattern. The door opens diagonally to the room and if you turn the tv to the door, you can (no offense to anyone) be sitting in the potty and still be watching your favorite show. I know I did so since I was alone.
Pool- The hotel had a pool but do not be misled. It was a tiny one. About the size found in the backyard of most homes. It was closed so I was not able to go and get a more accurate measurement of it.
Breakfast- was surprisingly good. They had either scrambled eggs or egg and cheese. This was paired with either bacon or sausage patties. There was the usual fare of cinnamon rolls, bread, biscuit, coffee, tea, chocolate drink, boxed cereals, orange juice,tea,milk, gravy and cold hard boiled eggs (by the tray) found in a small ref. together with yogurt. It does get a little boring though to eat it for 7 mornings. The breakfast area would be a bit small if the hotel would be fully booked. Breakfast was at 6:30 a.m. (7 for Sat. and Sunday) but the eggs and meat came out usually much later-like 645 or 650. Guess they were still cooking it?
Staff= there is a small front desk manned by helpful people. I did not have the opportunity to interact much with the staff but from the small interaction that I did have, they were all helpful and very friendly. The front desk seemed to be staffed 24 hours. The lady I saw at 11p.m. was the same one I saw the next day at 6 a.m.
Facilities= there is a small business room with 2 computers and a printer. I was able to print my airplane boarding passes free of charge. During my stay, I did not see anybody using the computers.
There are 2 stairwells. One in the front and one at the rear of the building. There is a small stand at the ground floor front stairwell filled with brochures about San Antonio and its sights.
There is only one elevator located to the rear of the building.
Near the front stairs are located the following facilities
2nd floor- ice vending machine and a small machine vending simple medications like Tylenol. Beside it was a small exercise/fitness room with 3 machines. You need your room keycard to enter this room
3rd floor and 5th floor rear stairwell- soda vending machines
4th floor- ice vending machine
5th floor- laundry room. This room has only 1 high efficiency washer and dryer. Please check the washer for your clothes volume. I do not know the sizing of washers but it seems to have a small capacity. The price is $1.25 for both washer and dryer. There is a soap and fabric softener dispenser for $1.00 each. The dryer has a digital readout of the time left. It finished washing my clothes in 3o minutes. The dryer is a bit of a problem. Being electric, it did not feel as hot as my dryer back home. $1.25 runs for 1 hour (yes, I timed it!). My clothes were still damp after a cycle and I just ran another full cycle just to be sure my clothes were dry.
Location= if you make a rough square of downtown San Antonio, this hotel is found within but a little to the edge of the square. However, downtown San Antonio is not that big. I walked to most of the sights.
There is also a VIA trolley system that can get you to most of San Antonio. If you exit the hotel and turn right, you will reach Houston Street. Right at this corner is a stop for the Red line trolley. Around here is also a Domino’s pizza open till I think 1 a.m. If you decide to walk, making a right on Houston will get you to a Subway a few blocks down and further on a Walgreen pharmacy and an entrance to the Riverwalk. There is also a convenience store but I did not check it out. Continue onward and you end up at the Alamo.
The only downside I could say was that the walls were a bit thin. Guest speaking loudly at the hallway could be heard. The area location, however was quiet. There was a nearby interstate about 5 blocks away and I could not even, hear the traffic.
I chose this hotel cuz it was inexpensive and had a fridge, microwave, and a self serve laundry. I would come back to it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- San Antonio Hotel Near a Variety of Attractions The historic atmosphere, excellent accommodations and friendly staff make the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in San Antonio, Texas near the Alamo, River Walk area, and Trolley perfect for both business and leisure travelers.Our hotel in San Antonio, TX is conveniently located within walking distance from the Alamo and the world-famous San Antonio River Walk. Visitors may enjoy shopping at La Villita Historic Arts Village, Rivercenter Mall and Market Square, the largest Mexican marketplace outside Mexico. Ride the local trolley to the many attractions within a mile of our hotel, such as the Tower of the America and IMAX theater.Business travelers benefit from the great location of this historic hotel in San Antonio, TX. We are situated near Valera Energy Corporation, Coca Cola and Pepsi bottling companies, Boeing and Fort Sam Houston. Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center and the Alamodome are a mile from our San Antonio, Texas hotel, which features free high-speed Internet access and a 24-hour business center.From the complimentary hot breakfast bar to the flow-regulated Kohler showerheads, our accommodations go beyond cheap hotels in San Antonio. Relax in the pool and whirlpool, work out in the fitness center and rest comfortably every night in a triple-sheeted bed with four pillows. You'll receive excellent service and amenities while lodging in our San Antonio, Texas hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express San Antonio North Hotel San Antonio
- Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area Texas