“Good Value and Location in San Antonio”

Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area
Ranked #124 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Los Angeles, California
“Good Value and Location in San Antonio”
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I don't know why they call it the San Antonio "North", because it's pretty much due West of the Alamo and the Riverwalk. After a short walk of maybe 10-12 minutes I found my favorite Irish Pub on the Riverwalk. It's not the most centrally located hotel, but it's not far from the best spots.

The hotel is an old jailhouse that has been restored. You would have no idea the building is 100 years old, because everything looks brand new. My room was on the 2nd floor and was adequate in every way. It was quiet and I had no trouble sleeping.

At least 2 people told me there is a ghost in the hotel (a prisoner in the jail who hanged himself), but I didn't see or hear anything.

The only negative was the breakfast. The food was great but there is limited seating. I got lucky and was able to sit down, but lots of people were taking the food back to their rooms.

I paid about $100/night which is a great value for downtown SA. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
ttribby, Owner at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
Thank you for taking time to write a review of our Holiday Inn Express hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to find your favorite pub! Even though we are an older building we pride ourselves in having a updated look. There have been many reports of ghost activity...maybe on your next visit you will get to experience that. We hope that you will consider us in your future visits to downtown San Antonio.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 December 2010

it seems from reviews that there are two different Holiday express ins near the river walk the best one by far is on Cameron street it used to be an old Jail and it is an historic building . The management and staff are top rate on a previous stay on the same day as the reservation I canceled and they even refunded my points that I use to pay for the room with only two hrs notice to the this is where you want to stay a comfortable walk to the river walk breakfast is standard Holiday express fare room very nice and clean and quiet.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jeff98777
JulianHIXRW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, 13 February 2017

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We were a little unsure of what we were in for as most reviews for all the hotels in the Riverwalk area were good and bad. So we booked the HIE on Cameron St. and were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly. Even the housekeeping crew was nice. Breakfast, although we have had better was sufficient, hot and fresh. Coffee all day long was great.
We used taxi's to get around and anytime we needed one the staff called for us and we never waited more than ten minutes. Really enjoyed the Riverwalk area, really unique. We also visited the Alamo (not sure why anyone would talk this down) thought it was very interesting and inspiring. We loved the Tea Gardens and the Zoo was really nice. Also visited the San Antonio Mission (the largest) and found it interesting also. Food overall was good and priced what we thought was inline with tourist fare.
As first time visitors to San Antonio I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnfasc

Oxford, MI
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night of a business trip. I arrived in the late afternoon and was given a room on the 5th floor. It is about 5 blocks to the Riverwalk area and although that does not seem like a long way, it is when you’re walking by homeless persons and are asked for money. I walked home by myself around 9:30 p.m. and I would not recommend it.

When I arrived back at the hotel in the dark, I noticed that my 5th floor room was the only one with lights. When I asked the hotel clerk if I was the only one up there, he immediately expressed concern and asked me what happened. Come to find out, two weeks prior there was a lady on her honeymoon who experienced her leg being lifted up in the middle of the night, while she was sleeping next to her husband. The clerk went on to tell me that the usual haunting occurrences occur on the 3rd and 4th floor. I thought he was pulling my leg in anticipation of Halloween.

After arriving in my new reassigned room on the 1st floor, I checked the windows and found them to be wide open. This is an old building and the windows are ceiling to floor without screens. Needless to say, I did finally get to sleep that night.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
17 Thank ChrisFromOxford
Thank you for your candid review. We apologize that your recent stay did not meet expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We stayed here from Oct 12th till 15th and had a wonderful time with no complaints. The staff was terrific, breakfast food (which is one of the main reasons we stay at Holiday inn Ex)was great and the lady working in the area offered her assistance to make our breakfast more enjoyable. In most hotel the housekeeping staff are usually not very friendly. The ladies here kept our room in great condition and they were very cordial and friendly, a real asset to your Hotel. We joke and tell people we spent three nights in jail while we were in San Antonio. Location is a little far from the Riverwalk, but we senior citizens had no problems even coming back late at night. If you don't like walking take a bus which is convenient to the hotel.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
ttribby, Owner at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Thank you for your review of our Holiday Inn Express! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
Smithtown NY
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I struggled up 8-10 steps to arrive @ front desk, there was no assistance from staff.
Our first room was very musty, with a strong smell of mold, mildew and disinfectant spray.My colleague has allergies so we were moved to another room that was better. We appreciated the staff in accomodating this request promptly, the 2nd room was still musty but OK. Very nice beds & comfortable. Bathroom VERY CLEAN.
The woman overseeing breakfast service was helpful , & pleasant. Tthe front desk staff also. For the price of hotel it was fine. Not a great location for my meetings ( convention center) but this was my fault for not checking this more carefully. In comparison to other Holiday Inn express hotels this was not as nice but again, the price was reasonable for overnight stay with breakfast.. The building needs some upgrade: paint, new lobby furniture and find source of mold/mildew odors.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Reading UK
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Surrounded by floodlights, cracks in curtains the lights illuminate the walls and ceiling of our bedroom. The fridge ticks and burps loudly all night. Removed previous guest's hair grip from near the bed. Had to evict a cicada from the bathroom. But worst of all we loaded the washing machine in the laundry room and then lost our 4 quarters trying to get washing powder from thee dispenser. Reception returned the dollar and told us where to go to get our own washing powder. Sorry we run out! No effort at all. And they removed our personal soap from the bathroom!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple