“One of the best hotels we have ever stayed at.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk
Ranked #13 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Lincoln, Nebraska
“One of the best hotels we have ever stayed at.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We recently spent our 4th of July vacation week in the San Antonio, Texas area. We are members of Choice Priveleges Rewards and try to stay at their hotels before choosing any other hotel because their hotels are top notch. But up until we stayed at the Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, we were satisfied but not overwhelmed until we stayed at this hotel with the level of excellence it provided. Their entire staff, front desk, cleaning personnel, breakfast staff and drivers to the Riverwalk all went above and beyond what any other hotel staff has ever supplied us with during our stays. Especially the woman that runs the breakfast and wine tasting events in the afternoons. What a gem they have in her! We had all of our needs met and exceeded. The hotel itself was up to date and immaculate. The pool area was small but welcoming. The suite we had was like being in a small apartment complete with microwave, refrigerator and the works. Every day when we arrived back to our room, it was cleaned to our expectations. We would love to have every hotel we stay at be as wonderful as this one. It is a standard that all hotels and their staff should try to achieve. Sincerely and Gratiously, Frank and Cindy Wimmer, Lincoln, NE.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from a hotel near the elevators. The dinging of the bells will keep you up all nig...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Our Family stayed for 4 nights and loved it. We felt very comfortable in our suite. The Staff and Manager were very accomodating and helpful to make it possible for us to stay another night. Thank you Jessie, Megan and Della! The hotel is beautiful and the amenities were extrememly upscale. We will stay here again! The beds were so comfortable we did not want to get out of them! We felt we were centrally located for all we had set out to do. We went to Sea World, Six Flags, and were a couple of blocks from The River Walk and Alamo. (Highly recommend driving to the River Walk area.) We even squeezed in a day at the beach in Corpus Christi at Port Aransas. We love San Antonio!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed 2 nights at the Comfort Suites and could not have been happier. The room was very clean, as was the rest of the hotel. The front desk and all the staff I ran into were friendly and helpful. What I liked most about this hotel (besides the cleanliness) was the breakfast/lobby area. This Comfort Suites really makes an effort to make you feel at home away from home. The breakfast nook is very spacious and the wine/cheese tasting they have was an awesome perk! The location is also great: it is an easy on/off to the highway, but also an easy walk to the Riverwalk. The hotel is one of the most unique I've been to, they even have a putting green out back. If I am ever back in San Antonio, I will definitely stay at this Comfort Suites.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights. The employees were friendly and extremely helpful from start to finish. My room was IMMACULATE and well stocked with high quality, brand new amenities. The thing that stood out the most was their dedication to providing guests with a comfortable experience. Both nights they served complimentary wine and cheese in their cozy living room area. Breakfast was also there, and the selection was huge and the food tasty. If you're planning on staying in San Antonio, go here. A great deal too!

• Stayed July 2012
Bedford, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is exactly what I would expect of a new chain hotel. I will say there was an unpleasant odor in the hallways but I am going to put that down to fumigation as there were quite a few dead roaches littered around. This is not a criticism per say, hotels get roaches and so you need to fumigate, it was just bad luck timing wise.

The hotel is near the Alamo and River Walk but not on it. There is a free shuttle that runs every half hour or so. If you want to walk you can do so but the neighborhood you pass through seems to be mostly made up of abandoned/empty buildings. I would not necessarily be comfortable making this walk after dark.

The room was nice and had a small lounge. For whatever reason, they built this hotel right next to/under the highway. When I looked out are window I had a view of the back of a billboard and Highway 35. Traffic noise was not a problem though. Breakfast was free and consisted of scrambled eggs, frozen hash browns (they were hot but not home made), hot sliced ham and assorted cold stuff and waffle irons. Would it have killed them to get some bacon or sausage? Again not a complaint (you can’t in all honesty complain about something free) but more of an observation.

All in all we had a nice stay but it was nothing out of the ordinary. This is what annoys be about Trip Advisor. You get people raving about these very ordinary places. When I check into a chain hotel I expect the rooms to be clean, etc as the bare minimum. For a place to get 5 stars it should be head and shoulders above the rest, in my opinion. Just for the record, I am no prissy rich guy. I am an ex DC motorcycle courier and have traveled all over the States and Europe and have stayed in plenty of dumps which is OK because I EXPECTED them to be dumps. I once even had a nice cold shower with a spider the size of a tarantula in Nicaragua. I would stay here again no problem.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike M
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I arrived a little after 3pm and checked in. I was given my key but the guy at the desk said the computer was stating my room wasn't ready but he would check. He never checked but said I could go on up. I went to my room and the maid was making the bed when I arrived. I went in the room and she actually had the comforter on the floor which I thought was dirty but she actually picked it up and put it on the bed. She then asked me if I wanted her to vaccum the floor. Well of course I said yes. I was a little upset because I didn't like the idea that she put a comforter lying on the floor on the bed I'm supposed to sleep in so I just pulled it off turned the air off so I could sleep without freezing to death. The guy at the desk came up after I checked in and brought me a little back with 2 bottles of water, 2 nutrition bars (fiber one) and some pamphlets and apologized for the room not being ready. The toilet took 2 or 3 flushes before it flushed and the sink took forever for the water to run out when you used it. There was a musty smell to the hotel on the floor I stayed in. The cost of the room was not as I was told, unlike the last reservations I had at another hotel I stayed at in a different town. What I was actually told at that hotel was the cost I paid at that hotel. I had included the parking but with everything else added the breakfast wasn't free. It was a great breakfast though and the lady who is in charge of the breakfast does a wonderful job of making sure you are well taken care of. Very, very friendly. On the last day I bought a coke before I left for my conference which cost $2 and when I returned before leaving to go home that afternoon the cost of the same coke was $2.16. I told the guy at the desk that this morning I paid $2 and you mean it's gone up 16 cents since 9am this morning? His response was "yes, they sent us a message to add 16 cents to the cost today". Needless to say I returned the coke back to it's cooler and stopped by McDonalds and got a Frappe'! THIS WAS A VERY RUDE YOUNG GUY, but he was not the one who I checked in with!!!!! I don't think will stay here again. Thanks to those employees who did show great hospitality though!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MsH6111
, Owner at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
I appologize for any isolated incident you might have had at our hotel this past weekend. We try very hard but every once in awhile we do fall behind. We had over 2,000 people go through the hotel this weekend, served 1600 people a complimentary full breakfast buffet and handed out over 400 gift bags to Choice Members. We expect the same for July 4th due to the downtown fireworks display.

We try to accommodate our guests as much as possible. It is summer time and we are full most of the time. The Check in policy is 3pm but we try to get rooms ready for our guests as soon as we can. Often we have families with children waiting to check in so they can take off and go have fun on the River Walk or Sea World.
We give first priority to Choice Members and those with small children. We make efforts to allow guest to put their luggage behind the desk and head off to the Riverwalk for Lunch or to take off to the Parks and then come pick up thier keys later. Our goal is to take care of our guests. I really appologize that your were given a room that was not checked by our Housekeeper prior to turning it in to assign to guests by the desk clerk. The clerk that checked you in was a trainee and was not allowed to return back. As far as the coke charge at the desk, we are required by the state to pay a sales tax. The computer system was being changed that morning to make sure the computer automatically charged the tax because the clerks were forgetting.

I hope that once you were checked into your suite that you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my personal apology for any issue you encountered
Spring Branch, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Although I had no reservation, the staff was very accomodating. Had a great room with sitting area, refrigerator, coffee pot. Bathroom had everything including a hair dryer (which I had forgotten to pack). Arrived on a Tuesday which, lucky for me, they have a complimentary wine and cheese tasting from 5 to 7. Georgia, who is in charge of the wine/cheese tasting and the breakfast bar, is super sweet. The complimentary breakfast is also amazing. Made my own Texas shaped waffle. There were pastries, cereals, eggs, potatoes, biscuits and gravy. Very good coffee. Nothing was lacking. They have shuttle van to take you downtown, and will drop you off wherever you request. Had a great time walking around San Antonio and enjoying lunch at the Mercado (market) early (before it got too hot), and then again that evening seeing the Riverwalk and the Alamo at night. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Owner at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
I enjoyed having wine together at the evening reception. Please come again.
and I hope you enjoyed the local Texas wine and Cheese we served that evening.
I took your advise and we are having more of the local wines from the vinyards in the area.