“Misrepresention of Location”

Ranked #11 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Lake Jackson, Tx
“Misrepresention of Location”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Name says Alamo/Riverwalk but both of these were not anywhere near the hotel. I called and requested to be on the Riverwalk side and Front desk never said they were not near the Riverwalk. They said i would be on the city side as the Riverwalk side was all taken up. What we got was a glass that outlooked onto the fence. Several of the hotel guests at breakfast complained also of this deception. There was a shuttle available and you signed up to be taken "on the hour" only to be dropped off at 3 locations but no picks up from anywhere not even the drop off spots. They will take you but you have to get your own transportation back! We are handicapped with license plates. They only had 6 handicapped spaces. Very little parking at hotel (8 spaces). Everyone must pay $10.00/day to park across the street under an interstate (I-35). We complained that the A/C was not cooling and our room was always warm even with the temp set at 68 degrees (the lowest it could go). We had to sleep out of the covers. All we got was to have the blower turned to high but it didn't cool. With the temp everyday near 99, we were not comfortable. No heated pool as advertised. Asked them to make it warmer as the narrow pool was icy cold throughout the day but it didn't warm up nor was it clean. Had band aids and junk on the pool bottoms and the waterfalls never operated the whole week we were there. We asked the Front desk to pls have housekeeping vacuum our room as the previous occupants left crumbs on the floor in front of the refrigerator and in the cabinet holding the refrigerator which we were afraid would bring roaches but it was never cleaned or vacuumed. We were there 5 nights 6 days so they had plenty time to make corrections after being asked to twice on the things above. The desk was always courteous and the Breakfast Hostess Georgia Rios was soooo friendly and accommodating. We must have heard her say Good Morning over 100 times at breakfast and at the Tues, Wed, and Thurs 5-7 pm Manager's Reception. Great employee. Overworked, she still was thoughtful and checking to see if everyone was ok. Breakfast was always plentiful but they do not have enough tables/seating. Overflow had to go into a meeting room or outside to sit down and eat in 90+ heat. A sign says no food taken out of dining area so people were waiting in line to get food and sit and eat it. Won't go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: Don't get room 103. Headboard is against kitchen wall making noises preparing breakfast woke us...
1 Thank 777Traveler321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We recently spent our 4th of July vacation week in the San Antonio, Texas area. We are members of Choice Priveleges Rewards and try to stay at their hotels before choosing any other hotel because their hotels are top notch. But up until we stayed at the Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, we were satisfied but not overwhelmed until we stayed at this hotel with the level of excellence it provided. Their entire staff, front desk, cleaning personnel, breakfast staff and drivers to the Riverwalk all went above and beyond what any other hotel staff has ever supplied us with during our stays. Especially the woman that runs the breakfast and wine tasting events in the afternoons. What a gem they have in her! We had all of our needs met and exceeded. The hotel itself was up to date and immaculate. The pool area was small but welcoming. The suite we had was like being in a small apartment complete with microwave, refrigerator and the works. Every day when we arrived back to our room, it was cleaned to our expectations. We would love to have every hotel we stay at be as wonderful as this one. It is a standard that all hotels and their staff should try to achieve. Sincerely and Gratiously, Frank and Cindy Wimmer, Lincoln, NE.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from a hotel near the elevators. The dinging of the bells will keep you up all nig...
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Our Family stayed for 4 nights and loved it. We felt very comfortable in our suite. The Staff and Manager were very accomodating and helpful to make it possible for us to stay another night. Thank you Jessie, Megan and Della! The hotel is beautiful and the amenities were extrememly upscale. We will stay here again! The beds were so comfortable we did not want to get out of them! We felt we were centrally located for all we had set out to do. We went to Sea World, Six Flags, and were a couple of blocks from The River Walk and Alamo. (Highly recommend driving to the River Walk area.) We even squeezed in a day at the beach in Corpus Christi at Port Aransas. We love San Antonio!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed 2 nights at the Comfort Suites and could not have been happier. The room was very clean, as was the rest of the hotel. The front desk and all the staff I ran into were friendly and helpful. What I liked most about this hotel (besides the cleanliness) was the breakfast/lobby area. This Comfort Suites really makes an effort to make you feel at home away from home. The breakfast nook is very spacious and the wine/cheese tasting they have was an awesome perk! The location is also great: it is an easy on/off to the highway, but also an easy walk to the Riverwalk. The hotel is one of the most unique I've been to, they even have a putting green out back. If I am ever back in San Antonio, I will definitely stay at this Comfort Suites.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights. The employees were friendly and extremely helpful from start to finish. My room was IMMACULATE and well stocked with high quality, brand new amenities. The thing that stood out the most was their dedication to providing guests with a comfortable experience. Both nights they served complimentary wine and cheese in their cozy living room area. Breakfast was also there, and the selection was huge and the food tasty. If you're planning on staying in San Antonio, go here. A great deal too!

• Stayed July 2012
Bedford, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is exactly what I would expect of a new chain hotel. I will say there was an unpleasant odor in the hallways but I am going to put that down to fumigation as there were quite a few dead roaches littered around. This is not a criticism per say, hotels get roaches and so you need to fumigate, it was just bad luck timing wise.

The hotel is near the Alamo and River Walk but not on it. There is a free shuttle that runs every half hour or so. If you want to walk you can do so but the neighborhood you pass through seems to be mostly made up of abandoned/empty buildings. I would not necessarily be comfortable making this walk after dark.

The room was nice and had a small lounge. For whatever reason, they built this hotel right next to/under the highway. When I looked out are window I had a view of the back of a billboard and Highway 35. Traffic noise was not a problem though. Breakfast was free and consisted of scrambled eggs, frozen hash browns (they were hot but not home made), hot sliced ham and assorted cold stuff and waffle irons. Would it have killed them to get some bacon or sausage? Again not a complaint (you can’t in all honesty complain about something free) but more of an observation.

All in all we had a nice stay but it was nothing out of the ordinary. This is what annoys be about Trip Advisor. You get people raving about these very ordinary places. When I check into a chain hotel I expect the rooms to be clean, etc as the bare minimum. For a place to get 5 stars it should be head and shoulders above the rest, in my opinion. Just for the record, I am no prissy rich guy. I am an ex DC motorcycle courier and have traveled all over the States and Europe and have stayed in plenty of dumps which is OK because I EXPECTED them to be dumps. I once even had a nice cold shower with a spider the size of a tarantula in Nicaragua. I would stay here again no problem.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I arrived a little after 3pm and checked in. I was given my key but the guy at the desk said the computer was stating my room wasn't ready but he would check. He never checked but said I could go on up. I went to my room and the maid was making the bed when I arrived. I went in the room and she actually had the comforter on the floor which I thought was dirty but she actually picked it up and put it on the bed. She then asked me if I wanted her to vaccum the floor. Well of course I said yes. I was a little upset because I didn't like the idea that she put a comforter lying on the floor on the bed I'm supposed to sleep in so I just pulled it off turned the air off so I could sleep without freezing to death. The guy at the desk came up after I checked in and brought me a little back with 2 bottles of water, 2 nutrition bars (fiber one) and some pamphlets and apologized for the room not being ready. The toilet took 2 or 3 flushes before it flushed and the sink took forever for the water to run out when you used it. There was a musty smell to the hotel on the floor I stayed in. The cost of the room was not as I was told, unlike the last reservations I had at another hotel I stayed at in a different town. What I was actually told at that hotel was the cost I paid at that hotel. I had included the parking but with everything else added the breakfast wasn't free. It was a great breakfast though and the lady who is in charge of the breakfast does a wonderful job of making sure you are well taken care of. Very, very friendly. On the last day I bought a coke before I left for my conference which cost $2 and when I returned before leaving to go home that afternoon the cost of the same coke was $2.16. I told the guy at the desk that this morning I paid $2 and you mean it's gone up 16 cents since 9am this morning? His response was "yes, they sent us a message to add 16 cents to the cost today". Needless to say I returned the coke back to it's cooler and stopped by McDonalds and got a Frappe'! THIS WAS A VERY RUDE YOUNG GUY, but he was not the one who I checked in with!!!!! I don't think will stay here again. Thanks to those employees who did show great hospitality though!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MsH6111
, Owner at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
I appologize for any isolated incident you might have had at our hotel this past weekend. We try very hard but every once in awhile we do fall behind. We had over 2,000 people go through the hotel this weekend, served 1600 people a complimentary full breakfast buffet and handed out over 400 gift bags to Choice Members. We expect the same for July 4th due to the downtown fireworks display.

We try to accommodate our guests as much as possible. It is summer time and we are full most of the time. The Check in policy is 3pm but we try to get rooms ready for our guests as soon as we can. Often we have families with children waiting to check in so they can take off and go have fun on the River Walk or Sea World.
We give first priority to Choice Members and those with small children. We make efforts to allow guest to put their luggage behind the desk and head off to the Riverwalk for Lunch or to take off to the Parks and then come pick up thier keys later. Our goal is to take care of our guests. I really appologize that your were given a room that was not checked by our Housekeeper prior to turning it in to assign to guests by the desk clerk. The clerk that checked you in was a trainee and was not allowed to return back. As far as the coke charge at the desk, we are required by the state to pay a sales tax. The computer system was being changed that morning to make sure the computer automatically charged the tax because the clerks were forgetting.

I hope that once you were checked into your suite that you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my personal apology for any issue you encountered