“Like a land-based luxury cruise”

Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk
Ranked #12 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
League City, Texas, United States
“Like a land-based luxury cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

I travel a lot, enjoying hotels from three stars and up, but never have I been treated like a king as these folks did. The hotel is beautifully decorated and appointed on a level you'd expect from a Westin or a top-drawer Hilton. The suite/room is very spacious with comfortable beds (I had 2 queens), a couch, desk with nice desk chair, refrig. and microwave. An extra-special free breakfast, free wine and snacks a couple evenings a week in the same lobby area, free shuttle rides to the Riverwalk (although I walked it myself, just 3 blocks away). Best of all, every staff member I encountered asked if she or he could get me something, if my room was okay, if there was anything they could do to make my stay nicer. They simply fell over themselves to take care of me. The room rates are crazy low compared to the quality of the hotel. I will most certainly stay there any time I go anywhere near San Antonio again.

1 Thank Jack H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have reason to be in San Antonio regularly for business. I have made this Comfort Suites my regular residence there for a variety of reasons - friendly staff, exacting maintenance, reasonable rates (especially for their central location) and nice amenities. Free breakfast, free wi-fi, free transport to the Riverwalk district, free manager's reception - altogether a very good value. The rooms are nice and big, and nothing seems shopworn or tired, which is the sign of a well-managed hotel. The interior decoration is beautifully done for a hotel at this price point and communicates a sense of pride and gives you much less of a "staying-in-a-chain" feel. In fact, I have met the owners of the hotel, and while delightful individuals in their own right, their customer-centered management philosophy shows their careful management in every corner of the place.

It is close to the freeway, and some traffic noise comes with that, but it is not obtrusive, and the always-on fan in the HVAC unit definitely helps with this. The beds are new, and I slept soundly every night. There are plenty of electrical outlets, and there is a power station on the desk that includes USB power ports. Very handy! The more adapters I can leave at home, the happier I am.

Bottom line - I cannot recommend the place highly enough!! You truly cannot go wrong staying here, especially considering the proximity to downtown and the amenities.

Room Tip: I think the rooms facing away from downtown and further from the freeway are not quite as affected b...
2 Thank Robert J
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

This review is long overdue...and needs to be written. My husband and I had RV problems in September of 2011 and had to find lodging in San Antonio. We chose Comfort Suites primarily because they had the best price but in the process we discovered much more. Upon arrival we were received by the General Manager, Ray Velazquez, and what a warm welcome it was. A very pleasant individaul who made our unexpected stay a real pleasant one. We had just done some grocery shopping and were concerned that it would not all fit in our room refrigerator. Ray said not to worry we could use the Hotels'. Since we didn't know how long our RV was going to be in the garage, we decided to take advantage of the situation and visit San Antonio. Walking back to our hotel one afternoon we heard a vehicle honking; it was Ray driving the shuttle van. He had recognized us and pulled over to offer us a ride. Now how considerate is that! Melissa and Celina, working the front desk, were also very helpful and pleasant. They answered many of our questions. And let us not forget the efficiency of housekeeping when we couldn't figure out how to get an outside line and the maintenance individual who was at our door within 4 minutes to fix our clogged drain. Thank you to the Staff for making our stay at Comfort Suites a very memorable one.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

The Positives-
1. All the usual good things like every hotel and great staff. This place was in a good location and had a complimentary shuttle service to get you to the Riverwalk. The shuttle driver Manual was very friendly and helpful.
2. The front desk actually telephoned us 10 minutes after we checked into our room to see if everything was all right. Great service.
3. We loved that they host a wine and cheese reception for guests every Tue/Wed/Thu - that is so generous and lovely. The hostess Georgia puts a lot of effort into it and is very friendly. We have never seen any hotel do this before especially putting out free alcohol. Nice touch.

The Negatives -
1. They have such a large car park it's a shame they charge you $10 per day to use it. We are not a hundred per cent sure but we noticed what we think are some free parking spots on the street right outside the hotel so something for future guests to take note of. Even their own shuttle was parked there. Check it our for yourself as we are not sure if it is really free.
2. One morning we had breakfast after nine and since we had to wait until 10am for the next shuttle service, we waited in our room till about 9:45am leaving our Do Not Disturb sign on the door until we were ready to leave. When we came back that night our room was not made up. After making enquiries we were told that if you leave your DND sign out after 9am then they will not make your room up! If they are going to have such a rule perhaps it would be good to inform guests??? I have never stayed anywhere and encountered this even when we have left our room as late as 11am. I agree that there should be a cut off time but 9am is too early and Housekeeping should always check twice after they have finished other rooms on the floor. Some people are here on vacation and don't want to be out of their rooms by 9am. Luckily they give you lots of towels to start with so no biggie.
3. One morning I saw about 4 rooms which had their room doors left unlocked and were unattended (door leans against the security bar so that it cannot be closed). Now I do not know if these were checked out rooms left open so the housekeeper would know which room to clean next or just rooms for daily cleaning or even perhaps renovations being carried out on them. But this is the second time I have encountered a hotel with this unacceptable practice. The hotel has a sign in the room that tells you that if anything goes missing from the room then that is your approval to allow a charge for the item to be put against your credit card. Even if these were recently checked out rooms it is unfair to leave them unattended in case someone else goes in and takes something after I have vacated like their unattached hair dryer which I then have to pay $45 dollars for. If a room is not being cleaned by the housekeeper then it should not be left unattended for any reason.
4. Another morning I saw a room by the elevator left unattended. No housekeeper was around. The doors at this hotel are not self closing so if you don't pull it close it will actually remain unlocked. I informed the front desk of this just in case the guest had actually left it that way without realising it. 45 minutes later still nothing was done and the door was still left that way. If it was a checked out room then see point number three. Anyone could have easily entered and taken anything.

Overall this is an excellent hotel except for one major issue to be aware about. Basically, always, always keep your valuables locked up. Or carry them with you when there is no safe in the room. Perhaps this leaving doors opened by hotels is more of a usual practise than we realise?

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Singusa
Arnold, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

This is a very good hotel, worth a look on your visit to San Antonio.

I travel for work at least a couple of times a month. Trips vary from one day to a week usually. I rack up about six months overall around the USA. San Antonio was a four night visit.

I would recommend Comfort Suites based on my stay as it is nice clean hotel within a good walking distance of Downtown with a number of very helpful and accommodating staff. Special mention goes to Georgia, the Hostess for breakfasts and the Tue – Thu evening Manager’s reception. She was a bright, bubbly welcoming addition to the day with a ready smile and always a quick question to see how things were going, thank you Georgia!

Front desk staff were largely very good. One gentleman on evening (apologies did not catch the name) was very helpful with taxi follow ups and maps and made sure everything had gone well on my various trips out as well as ensuring I had a hotel card so I could refer to this for return journeys. The Manger’s Reception from5 – 7pm Tue – Thu was very nice too. They put on some free beer and wine and a few small snacks and the staff go round chatting to guests and it is a nice addition to make you feel welcome.

The rooms are very clean but I think their environmental policy on towel replacements etc. may need bit more focus as I got the impressions towels were replaced fully even if you did not want them to be (very, very minor niggle). Rooms are very nicely sized with very good pull out work desk and around 7 power points around it which was excellent. There is also USB cord charging too. It would be nice to have an easily accessible power point by the bed too though. Air conditioning was very good with wall unit for heating and cooling. There is also a mini fridge and microwave. There was some noise from the highway but it was not enough to bother me too much.

Internet is free and of good speed for general surfing but not quite there for Netflix etc. when everyone else is on in the hotel too. It is a reasonable balance though as you are not being charged for it like in supposedly more upmarket chains.

Location is good. There is free shuttle to Downtown (not return though). I believe it goes every hour but I did not use it. Thy have an area for drinks and snacks downstairs for purchase and free tea/coffee 24/7 in lobby breakfast area. Toiletries are the usual shampoo, conditioner, soap and a nice addition was mouthwash. You will need to walk a little for shops of any kind but still within a reasonable distance.

It is not too far from airport too and I suggest arranging Go Shuttle through internet if you do not plan to get a car.

Thank you for a very nice stay!

Room Tip: Make sure to pull your door shut when you leave, it is not heavy enough to shut itself.
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

First of all, the hotel is beautifully appointed and well built. Secondly, the breakfast is the best ever. And finally - but really first - the staff is as caring and as polite and as friendly as any I have ever seen - in truth, far better than even a five-star hotel. I recommend this hotel without reservation and would go back in a heartbeat. Mary-Linda Armacost

St Petersburg, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

This hotel is very well designed with high quality furnishings. The rooms are very comfortable and well furnished. it is a boutique hotel of 89 rooms. The price is modest and the entire staff is very hospitable and service oriented. The hotel does not have a full service restaurant, but the breakfast (which i included in the room charge) is excellent. The owners, Mohammad Tariq Chaudhry and Sherry Chaudhry set a very high standard of excellence and service. The staff has all bought into this approach.

It does not have an ideal location, but it is within walking distance of the Alamo and Riverwalk as well as much of the downtown business district.