“Great stay.”

Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk
Ranked #11 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My kids and I just stayed one night, we were in SA to visit the river walk as well as other areas near there. The room was really nice, great breakfast buffet. It was very quiet, we had a great nights sleep.

1  Thank Arika97
Comfort_Suites_Owner, Manager at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is delightful to hear that you were able to enjoy all the amenities you needed at our hotel as well as received a great night’s sleep. We truly do our best to provide our guests with the best complimentary breakfast experience possible, as we understand how crucial that is for our guests. We hope you return soon!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

PROS: Spacious rooms, super-comfortable bed, beautiful Spanish-inspired architecture, furnishings and artwork, delicious breakfast, manager's wine and cheese reception, friendly staff
CONS: Not very clean (1 inch of dust all the way around the room where it hasn't been vacuumed,dust on the corners of the sink counter top was piled up), only a one-way shuttle (they take you away, but won't come get you, and it doesn't run on Sunday, ridiculous), usually only one staff member at front desk so often have to wait for service at front desk, magnetic door keys timed out, leaving us locked out of our room for about 15 minutes until they could get it fixed (it happened to another couple staying there are the same time, so I don't think it was a fluke), rooms are dark and need more lighting, slow internet and hotel is not as close to attractions as one would believe from their advertising.
Overall: Overpriced and won't be staying here again. We had a four-day reservation and would have switched hotels had we had the option.

Room Tip: City view rooms give you a nice view of the adjacent Red Roof Inn and the interstate, don't fall...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 0807Chad

Thank you for giving us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you encountered some issues during your stay at our property as these are rarities for our property such as with the dust in your room and the time-out on your room key. However, we do advertise our hotel as three blocks from the Alamo and River Walk as well as our ‘limited shuttle’ only dropping off guests from our hotel into downtown. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our “super-comfortable” beds, the décor of our hotel, the free full hot breakfast buffet every morning, and the complimentary wine & cheese reception we have every Tuesday-Thursday from 5-7pm. We hope that you give us another chance during your future visits to San Antonio, as I am sure we can make your next stay one to remember!

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I don't believe I've come across a more professional and caring staff among my travels. Not only was Aaron at the front desk, kind but also informative about local restaurants. Georgia went above and beyond with breakfast in the mornings. I would recommend to any teacher, business professional, or family that needed a place to stay with large rooms, great price for value, and you can't beat the location with everything you need to see in Downtown San Antonio within walking distance. A personal "Thank you" from this North Carolina teacher.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jkt1982

We truly appreciate your incredibly positive review of the Comfort Suites Alamo/River Walk. All of our staff truly does their best to accommodate each and every guest in our hotel with the highest level of customer service. It is fantastic that you were able to experience this from several members of our staff. We also want to thank you for the positive remarks about our convenient location in downtown San Antonio, as well as recommending the Comfort Suites Alamo/River Walk to all business professionals, teachers, and families. We are very glad that your robotics field trip was a success, and we hope that you return soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 7 days while on vacation last month. We chose San Antonio as our vacation destination this year and we were not disappointed. This hotel was near the Riverwalk and was very reasonably priced. We had a King Suite on the 5th floor, and the room was spacious and clean. The breakfast area offered a variety of food-there was something there for everyone. We were very close to the freeway-lots of traffic going by, but that is the downtown area. It is very busy. On Tues, Wed. and Thursday nights there was a "wine and cheese" social in the lobby area, which I thought was a nice touch.
We did not use the pool. The water was too cold for us, so I don't know if it was heated or not, however we did use the hot tub, which we enjoyed. My husband and I would recommend this hotel anytime. The staff was great and it felt very homey to us.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view of the Tower of the Americas, and some of the large downtown hotels. We th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sanbern51

Thank you for providing us with such a positive review of your recent 7-day stay at the Comfort Suites Alamo/River Walk. We are glad that you not only found our location convenient to all the famous downtown sites, but also that you found it an incredible value for a downtown San Antonio hotel. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed our Wine & Cheese reception that we have every Tuesday-Thursday from 5-7pm as well as the heated pool and hot tub. We truly try to create a home away from home feel at our hotel. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed with a group of 9 students and 7 adults at the comfort suites and our experience has been very pleasant. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable, especially the beds. The free breakfast was plentiful and offered a large variety of foods. Everybody was super friendly, flexible and very accommodating to our needs. The happy hour during the week was especially appreciated by our parents. The hot tub and pool were greatly appreciated. The hotel is close to everything in walking distance. I highly recommend staying there.

1  Thank elke r

We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback about your stay at our hotel. We designed the hotel in order to accommodate large groups and families with our spacious suites, heated pool, high speed wireless internet, and free full hot breakfast buffet every morning. We are also glad you took advantage of our Wine & Cheese reception that we have every Tuesday-Thursday from 5-7pm. It is wonderful that you were able to pleasantly walk to all the attractions you wanted to see in downtown from our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post these comments. We hope you return to downtown San Antonio soon!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel last weekend while we were in town for the San Antonio Livestock show. There were other hotels closer to that venue, but I wanted to stay here because of its proximity to the Alamo and Riverwalk. I was not disappointed in this place. There were a couple of minor things that I will get to later. But first I want to say how friendly the staff is here. Everyone went out of their way to make sure our stay was top notch. Even the guy we ran into in the elevator asked us how our stay was going. The breakfast was awesome. The lobby and breakfast area are beautiful and inviting. The pool area is also very nice, and the patio furniture was much nicer than you would expect. The room was very clean, and the beds were probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in.

We walked to the Alamo and Riverwalk twice during our stay and felt safe. (NOTE: you should only walk towards the Alamo from this hotel. If you walk in the other direction, the neighborhood gets bad very quickly. Probably would not be safe to walk in that direction, but there's really no reason to, anyway.) I was a little worried about the proximity to the highway because of noise, but it really wasn't an issue. And I never heard any noise in the hall at night, either. This is a big deal to me, because I am a very light sleeper.

Now for the cons. I was disappointed that the hot tub was not working. The jets were running, but the water was cold. I think I read about this in some previous reviews, too, so this seems to be an issue. Not enough to make me not want to stay here again, though.

I got a King suite thinking that the kids could sleep on the sofa bed. I like the layout of the King Suite rooms, so that's why I chose to do that. I will not do that again. The sofa bed did not have sheets on it, and it was not comfortable. In fact, one of my daughters just took the couch cushions and made a little bed on the floor, rather than sleep on it. There were sheets in the closet so it wasn't a big deal, but I just expected them to put the sheets on the sofa bed. In the future, I will get a double queen room if the kids are with us.

Also, we couldn't get the wifi to work in our 4th floor room. Kind of a bummer, and something they need to fix.

Overall, if I am ever in San Antonio, I will stay here. The pros definitely out weighed the cons, and I can confidently recommend this place to anyone I know.

1  Thank JDHSherman

Thank you for posting such and in-depth and positive review from your stay at our hotel. We are beyond delighted that you had a great experience interacting with our staff and that they were able to meet your needs throughout your stay. It is also fantastic to hear that you found our beds to be “the most comfortable hotel bed that you have ever slept in.” We are very happy to hear that you were able to get plenty of sleep at our hotel without hearing any noise from the adjacent highway (that’s because our hotel is made of solid concreted rather than wood). We do apologize for the internet issues you experienced, however, we have corrected the issue and more – we increased the high speed wireless internet to the fastest speed offered by Time Warner. Thank you again for all the comments, and we hope you stay with us again before the next Rodeo!

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay. Room was clean and breakfast was great. Wish the mini fridge had a freezer section for me to put ice packs and our toilet kept running water, but overall quite impressed with the place. The foldout couch was also decently comfortable and they had pack n plays on hand for use so we didn't have I bring ours. :)

Stayed: February 2014