“Great hotel for the price!”

Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk
Ranked #12 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
The Poconos, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel for the price!”
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Stayed here for five nights in May 2009. The hotel is rather new and the room was very clean and spacious. It was a great hotel for the price. Location was great as well. It is a five-minute walk from the rear entrance to the Alamo. There is also a bus stop around the corner if you rather would not walk. Also a great pasta restaurant two blocks away on Houston Street (Spaghetti Warehouse). I will definitely stay here again when I return to San Antonio.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Sportslvr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Turkish first
Idaho Falls
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I'm so glad we stayed here--the hotel is very elegantly decorated and obviously new. Such great value and the place was virtually empty so we were able to park right by the front entrance (parking is $10/day), get immediate service, and have the pool and business computers/printer all to ourselves! Our room was spacious with an excellent bed and pillow (and I loved the black-out curtains--I didn't even wake up till about 9am even though I usually wake up automatically around 7am). I appreciated that both the water temperature and volume were adjustable in the shower. All staff were immediate in helping us with any requests (e.g., couldn't connect to the wireless internet so they volunteered an ethernet cable). The complimentary breakfast was great: waffles, sausage, scrambled eggs, english muffins, oatmeal, yogurt, potatoes, etc. Great pool--though the hotel is located near a noisy freeway, the waterfall in the pool cuts out most of the noise and they had comfy lounge chairs. Covenient location: only a couple minutes from the Alamo and Riverwalk and about 30 seconds from the highway. Definitely would stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeanneIdahoFalls
Colonial Heights, Virginia
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Well, I guess the security guard at night and the numerous security cameras should give you a sense of security but I do not recommend this place for families. If you cannot park directly in front of the hotel, you end up parking on the side of the building which is under the interstate. There's plenty of homeless nearby too.

The hotel is new...it opened in October 2008. So if you are only concerned with the rooms and cleanliness then I definitely recommend this hotel. It also has nice flat screen tvs. The breakfast bar was average.

The pool and hot tub are outside and there's a small putting green outside too. The exercise room is set up wierd...the exercise equipment--one elliptical and one treadmill do not face the tv.

Speaking of below average value...The laundry costs $2.50 for the washer and $2.00 for the dryer. No free hotel shuttle unlike other hotels nearby and parking is $10 a night.

Overall, I probably won't stay here again unless Choice Hotels is running another promotion.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank LoriLions
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 April 2009

The rooms are great. New hotel. Very nice beds. However, the location is horrible. It is about 5 blocks from the Alamo but in the opposite direction. It is near a couple of homeless shelters, run down properties, and numerous police patrols. The main parking lot is under the freeway! Signs are posted everywhere to lock your doors and remove any belongings from your cars. The hotel charges $10 for parking per day for this!! Google Earth the address and select street view to confirm. I wish I had. There is a nearby trolley stop. I would not feel safe walking to the hotel at night.
I have been to San Antoino numerous times and have stayed downtown each time. There are much better locations for a family to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Countcost
California
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Beautifully decorated rooms furnished with new Thomasville furniture. High end mattress slept great. The room was spotless clean. Had a flat screen Sony TV and DVD player. Nice sitting area with sofabed and a beautiful bathroom. I can't say enough about this outstanding room. Great hot breakfast with a large selection and large eating area with plenty of tables and chairs. About a 10 minute walk to the Alamo and Riverwalk area. There were four computers off the lobby and a printer for printing boarding passes. Can't sing the praises of this hotel loud enough! Excellent value too. The only negative thing is that we did hear some freeway noise in the morning, but it didn't bother us that much. The units seem to be well insulated.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank skikingCalifornia
HOUSTON, TX
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I just returned from a one day trip to San Antonio with my boyfriend. We decided to stay at the Comfort Suites because other places near the Alamo and Riverwalk were very expensive. We looked at many hotels online and this one looked decent, clean and close to the Alamo and Riverwalk. I was very surprised (in a good way) when I got there because the lobby looked pretty and the hotel looked new. When we saw the room I was very happy because we had a good view to the freeway and to the Tower of Americas. We got a King suite at a pretty good rate of $90.00. The room had a nice big King bed, sofabed, flat screen TV, microwave, Fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom was nice and big with enough towels. I loved this long rectangular mirror they had by the bathroom. I like when I can see my whole outfit before I go out! The free Internet was great. I was really satisfied with this room and I know I will be staying here again when I go to San Antonio.

There are two negative things I can say about this hotel. One is that the breakfast wasn't that great. There is a waffle machine so you can make your waffles and they were nasty! The hash browns were a little too crispy for my taste and the fruit tasted like they've had it for a long time. Also some bagels had green marks on them, which means they have been there for a while. The second thing is that the parking was a little strange. They have most of their parking by an overpass and it's a little scary to park there. If you park right infront of the hotel by the lobby then its fine but we had trouble getting a spot there. Overall everything went great and I was very pleased!

• Liked — The room itself...it had everything I needed and wanted!
  • Disliked — Parking, Breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Okay, let me start by saying the hotel was wonderful with the exception of the excessive traffic noise. We were on the 5th floor and even over the sound of the ac blower I could hear trucks wizzing by all night. We were abour 4 rooms from the front of the hotel, so maybe a room farther back and down lower would be helpful. I did not get alot of sleep, but my wife noticed nothing at all....but she literally slept through hurricane Ike's passing right over us.

We unfortunately had to move to the Residence Inn for the rest of our stay.

This hotel is only a few months old and is in worderful shape. Everything is clean and well decorated. The lobby is very nice and even at peak tourist hours the breakfast was well stocked. (Egg, sasuage, hashbrowns, fresh waffles, and other continental fare. Would have been nice to have some cut fruit.

We stayed in a King "suite" (divider wall not seperate bedroom) which was well decorated. The bed was comfortable, linens well stocked. Room was spotless and had a nice sized HDTV. Internet access in the room was spotty, but this is the case with most wifi at hotels. A note, to try and drown out the traffic noise I left the fan on the AC, but you can not have heat or cool if the blower fan is left on. Ugh!

Small pool and acceptable exercise room. GREAT business center with four PC's.

Parking is $10 per day under the overpass. Though the parking is noted as covered (under an overpass) the walkway to the parking is not covered.

Most of the staff was wonderful from check in, housekeeping, and checkout. The overnight clerk was not at all helpful when I asked about combining our reservation for the next night, though I am glad she did not since we checked out.

The location is about a 10 minute walk to the riverwalk, seems safe enough but as always watch yourself at night.

SO, if traffic noise does not bother you this is a 4 bubble location. IF however the sound of zoooming trucks is problematic no matter how nice the staff and hotel you will leave tired. I hate to harp on the traffic noise, (you will notice I have not brought this up in any of my other reivews) but it was a deal killer for me.

• Liked — Great Rooms / Great Breakfast
  • Disliked — Zoom Zoom Zoom go the truckers all night long
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple