“My New Fav!”

Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #90 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was in San Antonio for a convention with several co-workers. We were greeted at the front desk by Benjamin who was almost a constant around the hotel. He was incredibly friendly, helpful and professional. My room was gorgeous! I had windows on two walls with nice views. Each one of my friends had a different room layout which was really cool. The bed was so comfortable and the shower was great. I am a tub girl but the moving shower head was great. I could position a strong blast of hot water on my lower back which helped to loosen muscles tight from sitting all day. We were treated to a free breakfast each morning which was delicious. All of the staff was friendly and I enjoyed my stay. It was within walking distance of the convention center so it is now our San Antonio convention hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SunnysideTX
alamoindigo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Sunnyside TX,

We truly enjoyed your positive review about your stay at the Hotel Indigo at the Alamo. I am delighted that Ben was able to exceed your expectations. I hope you will come visit us again!

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Friendly staff, lots of character to this old building but rooms have and amenities. Perfect location, right down in the heart of San Antonio river walk area without being right on the river walk. Very quick stroll to the Convention Center. The staff, from Ted the maintenance man to the nice young man who worked in the restaurant and also was manning the front desk on the day we left -- the staff was very helpful, pleasant, funny. Can't say enough about the People of Hotel Indigo at the Alamo. Thanks for a very nice place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandy J

Dear Sandy J,

I am truly glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Alamo at the Indigo! I will pass on your feedback to the staff, especially Ted. I hope you will visit us in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I checked in on a Tuesday and was upgraded to a suite. The staff was very friendly and had great advice on local eateries. The rooms were clean and modern.

The location was the best part, it is a stones throw from the Alamo. It also had easy access to the river walk & a public bike station. We recommend making a visit out to the Pearl Brewery area for a more upscale dining experience.

In the evening the downsides are the street level noise & the park in front of the Alamo has a few homeless people. It's not a concern during the day; use common sense and travel as group in the evenings & you'll have no problems. That goes for any bigger city, though.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Tim H,

Thank you so much for the great feedback about your stay here at the Hotel Indigo at the Alamo. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Chose this hotel because it was very reasonably priced and in a good location. Upon check-in we were given Room 202. It was very TINY-probably the smallest room I've ever seen and the only window was completely blocked by the bed's headboard. My husband said he wouldn't be able to stand it so we went back down stairs and politely asked to be switched. I've never in my life asked to change rooms at a hotel, but this room would be impossible for two people to stay in for three nights. The girl at the front desk was very nice and had no problem giving us Room 605. This room was much larger and very nice, but we noticed an odor when we walked in. It almost smelled like a mouse had died in the wall. We thought maybe it was just because the room had be closed for awhile and the AC wasn't running. So, we just dropped our luggage, turned up the AC, and went out for a movie. When we came back a few hours later the smell was still there. So, my husband went back to the same receptionist and she kindly gave us Room 705. Exact same room type, but no smell. The room problems disappointed me a bit, but if we had been given Room 705 from the beginning I would've given the hotel five stars for the price we paid.

A few other issues-The communication with the valet was horrible. We would call down for our car 15-20 minutes before like they recommend, and when we would go down to get it, the valet had no idea that we had called down. I guess the front desk answers the calls for the valet and they are supposed to write it down on a list, but this only actually happened once in the five times we needed our car. All of the other times, the valet would run to go get the car once we got down there. Kind of frustrating because the lot is far away so it would be an additional 10-15minutes on top of the already 15-20 minutes of lead time we had given. Also, the lobby always smelled of fried food or fish due to the cafe being so close by and the smell just overwhelms the small area. Not sure what they can do about this, but it made me not want to wait in the lobby for our car because I didn't want to go out smelling like food. The last complaint would be the loud AC in the rooms. It is very loud when it first kicks on. It almost sounds like someone turning on a vacuum. Not that big of a deal this time of year when it doesn't have to come on very often, but in the summer heat I could imagine it becoming very annoying.

Overall, we had a good stay for the bargain price we paid. If I needed a cheap nice place to stay again, I would probably stay here. But, if coming down for more of a family vacation kind of trip, I would probably stay elsewhere because there are far superior places in stay in town.

Room Tip: Steer clear of Rooms ending in -02. Very tiny. Try to get an Alamo view if you can, other views are...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Chelmichell,

I wanted to thank you for taking time to send in a review about the hotel Indigo at the Alamo. I do wish that your stay had gone a little smoother. We have investigated the odor in room 605 and addressed the issue. I do hope you will try us in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We came to San Antonio for a weekend at the end of March 2012 for a Birthday celebration. We called the front desk to report that the room was significantly warmer than to what the thermostat was set. The front desk clerk told us that he would notify maintenance. When we arrived back to our room, there was one fan in the suite. I'm guessing this was their way of trying to make it cooler. I called the front desk again and spoke with the clerk, Adrian. He said that there was nothing that could be done because "it was an old building". He said he wasn't able to change rooms because they were completely booked. I understand that sometimes maintenance is an issue with some older buildings; however, a sincere apology and quality customer service go a long way. Furthermore, shouldn't a popular hotel make certain that every room is as comfortable as each guest would like? Their guarantee says so.
Suffice to say, I won't be staying at any of their locations in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Conners1976,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience. We have sent you a private message with more information. I look forwarding to hearing back from you.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Benjamin Pantoja from the front desk and restaurant was an amazing and friendly representative for the hotel. No request was too big or small for him. It was the best hotel experience and service I've had in years! I will return!!!!
Rhonda

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Rehaney
Reviewed 29 March 2012

An old refurbished office building. Small rooms, very limited food in cafe, just old. The bathrooms are all new and very nice since they've been added to the existing "office rooms." Very conveniently located, kitty corner from the Alamo and very close walking distance to a Riverwalk entrance. Employees couldn't have been nicer and very helpful. Not my taste in a hotel but no complaints. Others may like it a lot.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
alamoindigo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear shwms,

Thank you for your honest feedback about your stay at the Hotel Indigo at the Alamo. I do find historical hotels to be an aquired taste. I am glad that the staff service met your expectations.