“Clearly the best by the Alamo”

Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo
Ranked #91 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was our third time to stay here and once again we were not disappointed. The front desk staff was courteous and quickly checked us in. Our room on the 7th floor was beautifully decorated and welcoming; we had just kicked off our shoes to relax and heard a large dog barking. After several minutes of continual noise we phoned the front desk and immediately were given another room on a different floor. Thanks for the prompt handing of this concern!

Room Tip: the King rooms facing the Alamo have a wonderful view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Jodi J,
Thank you for your continuous patronage! We are delighted by your comments! Guest satisfaction is our main focus. We look forward to your next visit!
Angela Alvarado -GM

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We recently stayed two nights at this hotel for our anniversary celebration. As others have said, the hotel is a converted office building. Our room was very small in comparison to other hotels we have stayed at along the Riverwalk area. The air conditioning unit is very loud and had a tendency to wake me up each and every time it came on. The water pressure in the shower was non-existent. Yes, it does have a great location, historical charm and a very friendly staff. However, will probably stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sermike,
Thank you for validating what others have found to be true about our hotel and enjoyed many times over and over again! Many love the charm of our "cozy" rooms but conveniently we have 3 other larger room types you can choose from. Please give us another chance and don't forget to ask for one of our larger choices. Looking forward to your next visit!
Angela Alvarado -GM

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I booked this hotel for 1 night for the Comic Con Alamo (not worth it at all). Any how, I'm here to review Hotel Indigo. This hotel is right on the Alamo. It's in the city center of downtown San Antonio. Right around the corner is a Thai Restaurant Which I highly recommend. Convenient stores are also close by.

Things to know about this hotel:
1. $25 valet parking (hotel has no self-park. There is a parking lot nearby for $5 though - good luck finding a spot).
2. No security box inside the room to lock your stuff.
3. I did not like the unsolicited call. I know they mean well - to check if everything is to our liking. I will call them if something is wrong. I just wish that they let the guests call them instead of them calling us. I feel like they are checking if someone is inside the room.
4. They do provide room service if you feel like staying.
5. Bed is so comfy...pillows are fluffy and soft.
6. Great view (I'm in room 808).
7. I love the wooden floor.
8. Room is a little small for the three of us - but better than Grand hyatt down the road.
9. Valet guy is explicitly telling me that "tip will greatly be appreciated". I think I know that- it bothers me that they are reminding me to tip them.
10. Front desk is great. She was very accommodating.
11. Great competitive rate (I paid $175.00 including tax) add the $25 valet - as compared to surrounding hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mjpatterson

Dear mjpatterson,
Thank you for your great review of our hotel! Our location, historic building and modern decoration make our hotel great but our staff and guests like you make it unique!! Hope to greet you again soon! Angela Alvarado -GM

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Some of the positive things that others mentioned are true about the location, historic charm, and comfort are absolutely true.

***Most of my issues dealt with housekeeping. Obviously, the management team does not inspect the work supposedly completed. (1) The drain in my shower was filthy and filled with hair. A member of the staff came and bleached it clean of the mildew/gunk; however, the drain cap was never removed to dislodge the hair and clean the rim as promised. Needless to say, I had to shower in my flip flops each day. This was brought to the attention of the staff twice to no avail. (2) My bathroom floors were not swept or mopped after I checked-in. My bathroom did not have a fan, so moisture built up when I showered. Since I wore black rubber flip flops, smudges would end up on the white tiled floors. I would literally have to wipe the floor with a damp hand towel when I returned each day after my room was supposedly cleaned. (3) Each day, at least one of my personal travel items was thrown away (shower caps, rain bonnet, bottle caps).

***The water pressure in the shower was absolutely AWFUL! It had nothing to do with the fact that it was a low-flow shower head; it was the water pressure plain and simple.

***Bats tended to zip by my windows constantly after sunset. I had no safety concerns since the windows were sealed shut, but it was an annoying distraction.

***There were not enough electrical outlets near the desk (laptop, bluetooth, cell phones).

There were multiple conventions booked during the same time, and there were no rooms available at other reputable hotels. Otherwise, I would have checked-out and gone elsewhere.

Room Tip: Nice view from upper floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Mizbizc:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at our hotel. As General Manager, I do appreciate hearing from our customers as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

I'm happy that you found that previous positive comments posted by others are true about our great location, historic charm, and comfort. We understand you experienced a cleanliness issue and I want to assure you that it has been brought to the attention of our housekeeping department and immediate corrective action has taken place. You also mention the restroom vents not working well. All our bathrooms are equipped with commercial type vents that run continuously and a tech has been called in to troubleshoot/identify the problem. While the situation you experienced is unusual and not the standard for our hotel, there is no excuse for this and I sincerely apologize. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again soon. Again, I thank you for your feedback and look forward to serving you again.
Angela Alvarado - GM

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Certainly agree with many of the previous positive reviews. Friendly and helpful staff; clean comfortable and large rooms; short, short walk to Alamo and Riverwalk entrance. Bistro is convenient but one can do better for breakfast -- seemed like mostly warmed up pre-prepared items. (Recommend Guenther House!) Room A/C was noisey -- apparently a problem related to this being a rehabbed building. Still, we had an overall good experience and would recommend.

Room Tip: Helps to be a member of the chain's reward program if you are looking for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This small (95-room) hotel is a "Hidden Gem" in the area of The Alamo, and Riverwalk.

The hotel is the product of a recent and complete repurposing of a 100 year old former 7-story office building.

This mid-priced boutique hotel excels in several respects. First, the staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful, without becoming overbearing. From desk clerks to valets, housekeeping, and coffee shop staff, all were genuinely friendly; exemplifying "Texas Hospitality."

During my stay, I had an unforeseen need to use the hotel's conference room. Within 15 minutes, the hotel manager, and several employees had cleaned and prepped the room. You will never see this type of rapid response at most other hotels.

The second unique aspect of this hotel is the building. The structure was built around 1900 as an office building. The architects lovingly retained and restored most of the original ornate woodwork and floors. Modern elevators were constructed and are located a few feet away from the originals. But in a whimsical fashion, the designers retained the old elevator doors on each floor. The hallways of guest floors initially appear much as they might have 100 years ago when they were new (extensive woodwork and marble wainscot). However, when you open the seemingly antique office door to your room you are greeted with an Ultra Modern guest room. The contrast between old and new is executed perfectly, Well Done!

I will be back

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Curious_Traveler_SD

We are very pleased to hear that Hotel Hotel Indigo Alamo is a "Hidden Gem" in the area of The Alamo, and River Walk!
It's also very nice to hear that you found our staff to be exceedingly friendly and helpful exemplifying Texas Hospitality. We certainly fully enjoy taking care of our guests and their needs and feel honored and excited to hear we accomplished that with you. Thank you for taking time to share your praise with us and the traveling community of TripAdvisor. We hope to see you back soon!
Angela Alvarado - GM

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Indigo took over an old building and made a great hotel while keeping a lot of the original building charm. Beds are comfortable, staff is very friendly & the location is great! The Alamo is right across the street & the Riverwalk is only a block away!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank GBCheesehead
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear GBCheesehead, Our boutique hotel actually sits in the original grounds of the Alamo. Many historians stop by pointing at specific areas where many important events actually happened!!! I'm glad you also enjoyed our location as we are just steps away from all the action. Very grateful for your visit and kind words, come visit us again! Angela Alvarado -GM