“Great hotel for locals and tourists”

Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #91 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was our first stay in the Indigo brand of hotels, and we enjoyed it! Far from the cookie-cutter hotels that we're used to, the Indigo at the Alamo hit the marks for unique and character. The building dates back to 1909 and the hotel maintained its original look and downtown feel just after the turn of the Century. It was fun to try and imagine the building as it might have looked in its prime. The staff was proficient and professional. The King Suite was huge, bathroom was the size of some hotel rooms and the walk-in shower was terrific. Only remark was the 1909 Bistro, staff was inattentive during breakfast, so much so the cook had to bring us our meal, stating that "my server was no where to be found". The server was dressed in what looked like yoga pants and a sweatshirt. The manager needs to look in on the Bistro staff and ensure they are meeting his expectations....then he hits a 5-Star rating.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Jbfeagle, Thank you for the time you took to write your comments, we greatly appreciate the high recommendation to our future guests. Thank you for recognizing we are a unique property involving so much history. Most of all we greatly appreciate your description of our beautiful suite and your acknowledgement to our staff being proficient and professional. It is very disappointing to hear we clearly did not provide attentive service in our 1909 Bar & Bistro and I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations in this area. Your review provides me with valuable information that we can act upon thereby improving our processes. I hope you will stay with us to enjoy our unique historic hotel once again and experience an improved performance in our restaurant! Angela Alvarado -General Manager

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We decided to visit San Antonio for the weekend and wanted to stay close to the Riverwalk and the Alamo, and chose this hotel. The room was very nice, a bit crowded with the king size bed, but overall a good room. The bed was comfortable, but the standard size pillows on the king bed just do not work. The air conditioning was great, although the fan on high was loud, but once we realized that we could have it on low, it was fine. This hotel is right on Alamo Plaza, so it was a convenient location to get to all the attractions that are right there.

My only criticism is for the hotel restaurant. We had an unpleasant experience there for breakfast. There was only one person working that morning, and there were 8 tables of people that the waitress had to take care of, with no help in sight. we did get our coffee and orange juice. Coffee refill happened twice, but then we sat there for quite a while, and were told that our order was next. Two other tables who got there after us got served.The snafu for us was that she took our order, but somehow it did not make it to the kitchen. We were there for 45 minutes with no food. We asked for the check at that point, they said that we not to worry about that. Also wanted to know what they could do to make it right, but by then we were ready to be on our way for the day.

The other staff members --- at check in, the valets, the houskeepers were all polite and always asking if there was anything that we needed

We would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone who asked, but I will always tell them to be wary of the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear junebugHouston_TX,

I'm so happy you enjoyed our hotel and profusely apologize for the issue at the restaurant. Please let me assure you this is not the norm. We will work diligently with the staff to ensure this does not happen again. We hope to get a future opportunity to serve you!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

My room was very nice. Right on the corner. It was quiet and clean, with wood floors. What makes it seem odd is the tiled hallways. If they would carpet them, it would seem less like an office building.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear BAMaier,

Glad to hear you liked your corner room and the wooden floors! This historic building is 104 years old. We are on the original grounds of the Alamo and have tried to keep the historical ambiance reflecting the rich history surrounding The Alamo. Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was our third time to stay here and once again we were not disappointed. The front desk staff was courteous and quickly checked us in. Our room on the 7th floor was beautifully decorated and welcoming; we had just kicked off our shoes to relax and heard a large dog barking. After several minutes of continual noise we phoned the front desk and immediately were given another room on a different floor. Thanks for the prompt handing of this concern!

Room Tip: the King rooms facing the Alamo have a wonderful view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Jodi J,
Thank you for your continuous patronage! We are delighted by your comments! Guest satisfaction is our main focus. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We recently stayed two nights at this hotel for our anniversary celebration. As others have said, the hotel is a converted office building. Our room was very small in comparison to other hotels we have stayed at along the Riverwalk area. The air conditioning unit is very loud and had a tendency to wake me up each and every time it came on. The water pressure in the shower was non-existent. Yes, it does have a great location, historical charm and a very friendly staff. However, will probably stay elsewhere next time.

Dear sermike,
Thank you for validating what others have found to be true about our hotel and enjoyed many times over and over again! Many love the charm of our "cozy" rooms but conveniently we have 3 other larger room types you can choose from. Please give us another chance and don't forget to ask for one of our larger choices. Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I booked this hotel for 1 night for the Comic Con Alamo (not worth it at all). Any how, I'm here to review Hotel Indigo. This hotel is right on the Alamo. It's in the city center of downtown San Antonio. Right around the corner is a Thai Restaurant Which I highly recommend. Convenient stores are also close by.

Things to know about this hotel:
1. $25 valet parking (hotel has no self-park. There is a parking lot nearby for $5 though - good luck finding a spot).
2. No security box inside the room to lock your stuff.
3. I did not like the unsolicited call. I know they mean well - to check if everything is to our liking. I will call them if something is wrong. I just wish that they let the guests call them instead of them calling us. I feel like they are checking if someone is inside the room.
4. They do provide room service if you feel like staying.
5. Bed is so comfy...pillows are fluffy and soft.
6. Great view (I'm in room 808).
7. I love the wooden floor.
8. Room is a little small for the three of us - but better than Grand hyatt down the road.
9. Valet guy is explicitly telling me that "tip will greatly be appreciated". I think I know that- it bothers me that they are reminding me to tip them.
10. Front desk is great. She was very accommodating.
11. Great competitive rate (I paid $175.00 including tax) add the $25 valet - as compared to surrounding hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mjpatterson

Dear mjpatterson,
Thank you for your great review of our hotel! Our location, historic building and modern decoration make our hotel great but our staff and guests like you make it unique!! Hope to greet you again soon! Angela Alvarado -GM

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Some of the positive things that others mentioned are true about the location, historic charm, and comfort are absolutely true.

***Most of my issues dealt with housekeeping. Obviously, the management team does not inspect the work supposedly completed. (1) The drain in my shower was filthy and filled with hair. A member of the staff came and bleached it clean of the mildew/gunk; however, the drain cap was never removed to dislodge the hair and clean the rim as promised. Needless to say, I had to shower in my flip flops each day. This was brought to the attention of the staff twice to no avail. (2) My bathroom floors were not swept or mopped after I checked-in. My bathroom did not have a fan, so moisture built up when I showered. Since I wore black rubber flip flops, smudges would end up on the white tiled floors. I would literally have to wipe the floor with a damp hand towel when I returned each day after my room was supposedly cleaned. (3) Each day, at least one of my personal travel items was thrown away (shower caps, rain bonnet, bottle caps).

***The water pressure in the shower was absolutely AWFUL! It had nothing to do with the fact that it was a low-flow shower head; it was the water pressure plain and simple.

***Bats tended to zip by my windows constantly after sunset. I had no safety concerns since the windows were sealed shut, but it was an annoying distraction.

***There were not enough electrical outlets near the desk (laptop, bluetooth, cell phones).

There were multiple conventions booked during the same time, and there were no rooms available at other reputable hotels. Otherwise, I would have checked-out and gone elsewhere.

Room Tip: Nice view from upper floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Mizbizc:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at our hotel. As General Manager, I do appreciate hearing from our customers as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

I'm happy that you found that previous positive comments posted by others are true about our great location, historic charm, and comfort. We understand you experienced a cleanliness issue and I want to assure you that it has been brought to the attention of our housekeeping department and immediate corrective action has taken place. You also mention the restroom vents not working well. All our bathrooms are equipped with commercial type vents that run continuously and a tech has been called in to troubleshoot/identify the problem. While the situation you experienced is unusual and not the standard for our hotel, there is no excuse for this and I sincerely apologize. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again soon. Again, I thank you for your feedback and look forward to serving you again.
Angela Alvarado - GM