“Great location, bargain price, no frills”

Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo
Ranked #92 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for a few nights on a leisure trip to San Antonio. If the focus of your visit is the Alamo itself, then I don't think you'll find a closer hotel. The riverwalk is within walking distance, and for venturing further, there is plenty of parking in the surrounding area, with the lots getting cheaper and dodgier looking the further you walk.

The hotel is in an historic building which it shares with some offices. It is described as "boutique hotel" in some of the marketing material - I think this is probably stretching a point. It isn't a full service resort hotel with a pool and several bars and restaurants, but it is a decent location hotel, the staff are efficient and the rooms are bigger than something really budget. The room decor is definitely more interesting than your standard Holiday Inn plain-and-drab, and some of the historic features of the interior public areas have been preserved.

In the room; the AC is a bit of a pain because it goes on and off with a thump to regulate the temperature, which you'll need to put up with all night. It didn't bother us much as it was quite mild when we visited. The bed and sheets were really good quality. Shower could have been a bit stronger but otherwise, no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo

Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel is a beautiful piece of history. I loved the boutique look and feel mixed with the old history and charm of San Antonio. Keeping in mind this is a historic property, the hotel did a great job adding modern amenities and first rate service. My room had a beautiful view of the Alamo and the bed was extremely comfortable. Because it is a historic building, the windows are not completely sound proof, but pending any celebrating Spurs fans you will sleep well. I highly recommend the hotel and its bar and bistro. I can't wait to come stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are quieter, but the front side has great views of the Alamo pla...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I love the Hotel Indigo chain and stay at this hotel when we come to San Antonio. The staff is very friendly and responsive. The rooms are comfortable and a relaxing place to come back to at the end of the day. The restaurant food is very good and the staff is always friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Carine H,
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. Next time you return to our restaurant, be sure to check our our extensive menu, which is delicious!

We hope to see you again soon!

Angela Alvarado, General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have always loved this hotel, but the staff outdid themselves this time. We were in San Antonio for my husband's 50th birthday. I had planned a surprise party for him. The staff totally got into it. They were hiding guests and sneaking them around so my husband would not find out what was going on. When we got back to our room after he party they had left cake a card from the staff for him.
If you are looking for a hotel with personality and a great staff, this is your hotel. The rooms have wood floors and character. They are spic and span too! We will return many times to come.

Room Tip: When I booked our room I checked the option to upgrade to a suite if available upon checking in. It...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Stephanie H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am very happy to hear that once again you had a memorable stay at our hotel. We wish all the best to your husband and look forward to your next visit!

Regards,
Angela Alvarado, General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at this property for three nights on business recently.
The Good:
1. Location - just a short walk to the most action on the River Walk.
2. The bar - great happy hour for drinks and food. Happy "hour" is more like 5 hours.
3. Certain rooms. The King bed rooms with a small sitting area are quite nice (two good TV's). These are usually on the corner of the hotel and look directly towards the Alamo. Rooms ending in 4 appear to indicate those rooms. Forget if I was in a 14 or 24 room - worth asking at desk.
4. The staff - all very professional, but not TOO professional. Very nice interactions. Bartenders easy to engage in small talk. Tip of the hat to Dwayne and Tony.
5. Room Service was fast and accurate.

The Bad:
1. Ran out of little shampoo bottles the first day and they never got more for the rest of my stay.
I don't pack shampoo.
2. The closets are a bit small, but there is a lot of dresser storage space.
3. One may like it, but this is a very old building and hallways reminded me of the ones you saw in "The Shining."
4. The AC. Probably the most annoying aspect of this property. I started in Room 814 (I think - that or 824). Anyhow, when the AC was engaged it was accompanied by a rather prominent whistle. Annoying to say the least. I finally decided I would not be able to sleep with that sound so the front desk kindly agreed and moved me to the same type of room on the fourth floor where the whistle was considerably less. Please, upgrade the AC system.
5. No swimming pool, but an adequate work out room.
The Ugly:
The building is old, OK, I get that. But the showers are not up to any sort of modern standard. However, for you 7 ft. tall people, the shower will accommodate you. The shower door runners are old and the shower doors stick. I did my tricep workout each time I tried to open or close the shower door.

So, add it all up. Yup, I would stay here again. Just the friendliness of the staff won me over. I have never been treated better at at hotel of this value. It has an intimate feel and you get to know the staff quickly. Change out the showers, improve the AC, add some clothing hanging space, add a rooftop pool (right), and you would have San Antonio's finest hotel experience.

Room Tip: King Bedded room with sitting area facing the Alamo. Either a room ending in 14 or 24. Not sure whic...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Primary reason for this poor rating is the total lack of response and interaction from management.

The hotel was clean and a cool sight...but for stays over one night, go elsewhere.

The minor problems we encountered over a three night four day stay were never addressed leading me to believe that larger problems would be ignored as well.

Free wi-fi, as advertised worked a short period one morning of four...staff at the front desk knew of the problem but had to wait on a technician....no response from management.

On the first day we were there, we left in the AM and returned that night....the room was not cleaned and linen was not changed out.

Valet was awful. I had to search for them and wait on them upon return every time.

The hotel restaurant and bar was not staffed well, long waits for service, dirty tables, and lackluster servers.

There were two specific valet issues, the wi-fi issue, and the absence of room cleaning service that I wished to discuss with management...I left two telephone messages and two in person messages with the front desk, for the management to contact me. That never happened...not even an e-mail.

Again, if you need a single night, this will fit the bill. More than one night and the issues start showing...there are far too many options in this tourist downtown to accept this place.

Room Tip: Choose a room with better service at another property.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dallas37
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Dallas37,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking time to leave a review of the property. I am pleased that the cleanliness and design of the hotel suited your liking.

Likewise, please accept our sincerest apologies for the level of service you have received during your stay. Your comments are very much considered and will certainly be looked into. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

Thank you once again and we hope you give us a chance to host you the next time you are in the area.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Service excellent for the little interaction we had EXCEPT, we were wakened twice by call from desk asking if everything was ok. First call was at 5pm, 4 hours after we checked in. We were napping due to long day! Next call was at 9am on first morning. I mentioned it was 2nd call which had awakened us; we didn't get any more calls! No contact with housekeeping; I left do not disturb sign on door knob for our weekend stay. Clean everywhere! Beds were super comfortable. Loved the hardwood floors. Lots of hooks in toilet/shower room sink was in same room as beds & there were few accommodations - counter was small, with little space for hair dryer/ curling iron, toothbrush/ paste, cosmetic bag......room slept 4 but bathroom counter top space was adequate for only 1. Hotel itself had old fashion charm in its decor. Price was great; just over $100/weekend night! I wouldn't not go back to hotel but I'd look for another first

• Stayed: May 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Gzpltt,

Thank you for sparing your time in completing a review and bringing this matter to our attention. I am delighted to know that you mentioned it is clean everywhere, beds are comfortable and that you loved the hardwood floors. We regret the wake up call and the small counter impacted the totality of your stay. Our hotel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be extremely useful. Your comments will help us serve you, and all of our guest better in the future.

We continue to be committed to provide you and all our guests with the highest standard of service in the industry. We look forward to your continued patronage and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Charisse V.