“I Would Stay Here Again”

Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #89 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Booked through Hotwire for 4 days. Purpose was to attend the Alamo Bowl. Since it is downtown, parking is tight. Right next door to the hotel is a parking lot which charges $10.00 a day. Location wise, it doesn't get much better other than having a room over the Riverwalk. Across the street is the Alamo, a block away is a Riverwalk entrance. Within easy walking distance is the Alamodome. Check in was fast, informative and friendly. We were assigned a king size bed but when the attendant noticed there was a 13 year old girl with us, he changed us to a room with a sofa bed. The Hotwire check-in sheet showed there were 2 adults and 1 child so one would assume we would be assigned a room with two beds and at the least, a bed and a sleeper sofa. To the credit of the attendant at the hotel, he changed the room without us even asking. The sleeper sofa mattress was to be blunt, terrible. We put 6 pillows over the mattress and that made it better. The king size bed was comfortable. The room isn't large but it is big enough. I've stayed in much smaller rooms. The floors in the room are hardwood, the front door is wood. There is a 32 inch flat screen LG that hangs on the wall. The default screen setting was 4:3 and I had to use the remote to change it to 16:9 every time I turned on the TV. Our room had a view of the Alamo as it was on the corner of the hotel. It was a little noisy since this is a busy location but it isn't bad. There wasn't a bathtub in the bathroom, just a shower. Not a big deal with me. The vanity area is good size. Just one bowl sink but plenty of room to move around. Closet is small but there is plenty of drawer space in the room. The only real complaint is the sofa bed, everything else was more than acceptable. All of the soaps and lotions are Aveda so first class there. There is a bar and bistro in the hotel. It is open for breakfast and dinner only. It closes at 10:00 AM and we arrived at 10:30. The manager of the 1909 Bar & Bistro, Cruze, volunteered to get us some Orange Juice and muffins. He could have said breakfast is over but didn't. That is service. Dinner is served from 4:00, if I remember correctly, to 10:30. The food portions are large and we all liked the food. Wi-Fi is free and fast. We all said we liked the hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
alamoindigo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

Thank you so much for writing a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the uncomfortable sleeper sofa. So glad to hear that the staff in the hotel took good care of you. Cruz , our Food and Beverage Manager, is known for going above and beyond to accommodate everyone who comes to the 1909 Bar & Bistro. We are so proud of the restoration that has been done to the building to maintain the original integrity of the 1909 Gibbs Building. Our location is obviously one of our greatest assets. We truly do strive to make every guest experience a memorable one. We do hope you will stay with us again on future trips to San Antonio.

Reviewed 2 January 2011

I'm not a person who writes reviews, but this places requires a response. First the few negatives... I found that the AC was a little loud. It was a simple first day fix though. I just turned the fan to low, and problem solved. Secondly, and finally, the rooms let in a little noise from the hallway. No big deal to me though. You will get over that when the positives become apparent. Positives, the place is a great price, location is wonderful, staff is helpful, good bedding, and the room service is amazing for the price!! FYI, I stayed in room 803 which had a kingsized bed and was tucked away in the hall which cut down the noise in the hall. I got a peak of the queen rooms, and I wouldn't stay in one of them. They are significantly smaller and will only save you a few dollars a night compared to the king. Overall, trust me! Great spot even if I paid $25 more a night.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Travelbigwood
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Very unique hotel. Rooms small but great location across from the Alamo. Short walk to riverwalk. As a travel agent I would recommend this hotel to my clients.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Changeurlatitude
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo while at a conference. I liked the location and it was neat to see the Alamo from my room. The only downside is there aren't many decent restaurant options in the immediate area unless you head to the Riverwalk or other parts of town. This wasn't really an issue, but as a solo traveler, i didn't feel like hiking to other places in the evening. I did enjoy the food of the hotel restaurant. Room service was VERY efficient. I ate in the restaurant as well and was sad to sometimes be the only one there. They have great salsa and the bartender was very friendly. I also found a cute breakfast place a couple of blocks away called Twin Sisters as an alternative to the hotel. All the staff was very friendly. I liked the reuse of a historic building and uniqueness of the rooms. The decor was very trendy which was great since the price of the hotel was very reasonable. It felt more like a boutique hotel. I did have ants in my room on a wall that would appear and disappear. I called about it and they said they would come spray and i didn't see them after that. One word of advice if taking a cab from the airport, make sure you know the address of the hotel, my cabbie had not heard of the place. Overall, i had a very pleasant stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank zoecatva

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. So glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the ant issue in your room. Sounds like our Maintenance department quickly handled the situation. We strive very hard to make every guest experience a memorable one. We do hope you will stay with us again on future trips to San Antonio.

Reviewed 22 December 2010

Been here for a medical congress and got room 701...Room is a "great" word for what I've got..Directly from corridor to bed...
On the other side, comfortable bed, nice shower and WIFI in the room...
But price is the same for this room than for others...much larger and don't trust manager who says all the rooms have equivalent sizes...As we were a group, we visit eachother to work and I can say mine was a closet compare to others...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Monpetit
alamoindigo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2010

Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Due to the historical building, all of our rooms are different in shape and size. No two rooms are exactly the same. We made every effort to comply with the historical and preservation society to not disturb the original integrity of the building when we converted the 100 year old building into a hotel. Therefore, all of our rooms are unique in size and shape. I do hope you enjoyed your stay in our city and that our staff made your stay memorable. If you prefer a larger room on a future stay, please call the hotel directly to make your reservation. We will always try to accommodate your specific room request.

Reviewed 13 November 2010

I tend to read the negative reviews first before staying in a place. My work was paying, so I wasn't as rigorous in my investigation beforehand (plus I had to stay within the state department rate). I was really pleasantly surprised: the room was plenty spacious with a little work area and a lounging chair and a nice size bed. The bathroom etcetera was nice, too. The best part was the service in both the hotel and the restaurant, which was outstanding. The location is really perfect for the convention center and is right across from the Alamo.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank CamrinC
alamoindigo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

Thank you so much for the kind words. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We strive to make the guests stay pleasant and memorable. We hope to see you again on future trips to San Antonio.

Hotel Indigo, at the Alamo

Reviewed 20 October 2010

I enjoyed stay in Indigo Hotel. Our room at 7th floor was spacious and comfortable. Hotel has great location for Riverwalk and Alamo. Parking fee is very high, but there is public parking (Alamo Parking) next to the hotel ($8 for 24h) and you can park on the street (cheap meters are located nearby on the Alamo Street).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple