“Overpriced at $50”

Econo Lodge San Antonio
Ranked #302 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel should be about $30 per night in line with the other hotel/motels in the area, instead of the $50-60 they charge. Bedding is stained with cigarette burns, the finish on the bath tub was peeling, some of the lights didn't work, and you should carry a gun for protection. The only plus was the very nice woman working the front desk. She was very friendly.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Keith R

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel in the month of May. The location was good. But the property lacked overall quality. Renovation work was going on. It was a total disturbance to the guests staying. The access way to the rooms were all scrapped with building dirt, material, etc,. It would have been much better, if they would have shut down the property for a month and do the renovation. Had we known that the renovation works are on, we would have opted for a different hotel. But anyways, it was a one day stay. We could still mange. Through it was a disappointment. The front office staff was very helpful, providing us with useful information, fixing us cab etc,.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Murali A
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel by accident. My car broke down in the area and I ended up here. The front desk not only gave me a room at a discount price but they even called a mechanic for me. Everyone, even the owner, went out of their way to help me and I couldn't be more appreciative.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Per the front desk,Hotel Management saves money by leaving AC off in vacant rooms. When we arrived our room was 90-100+ degrees. It took an hour before the room temp was bearable. As we arrive late in the evening, needing to wait an additional hour to use the room and get to sleep was unacceptable. The carpets and bathroom floors needed cleaning. Further, the lobby area was dirty. Breakfast was ok. Avoid the eggs, though. Not worth the room rate. Hotel staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JssTx
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have stayed in this motel several times. This time is the last!!!

I am a truck driver and I stay in motels over 200 nights a year. Last summer (2012) I stayed there and woke up around 3:00 am with bedbugs all over my shoulders, chest, back & legs. I had welts all over me. I called front desk and told the guy to get to my room. He came and I pulled the covers back and many red bedbugs all over my sheets. They were red from my blood. I squashed as many as I saw into the sheets. I then pulled back the king mattress from the box springs and there was tons of hair and bugs all over the box springs. The guy from the front desk started to gag and promptly told me that he was getting me another room.

He went to the front desk and brought me keys for a room a couple of doors down. I went in and pulled back the king mattress and it looked like the other room. Long hair, short hair and real curly hair with a bunch of dead bugs all over the box springs. The front desk guy gagged again and took off his over shirt because he was scared that he may have bedbugs on him.

I took a hot shower and was really tired but was not going to sleep in the beds there so I went out and slept in the back seat of my pickup until it got so hot that I had to get up. (San Antonio @ 5:30am)

When I talked to the owner - Manny - he wanted to comp me 1000 choice privilege points and that was going to be it. I told him that I wasn't going to pay for the bug night and needed compensation for my grief. He gave me a free night and said that this is the first time this had ever happened and he would take care of it right away. So I believed him.

I have stayed several more times in the last year. Always pulling the mattress away from the headboard to see how clean it was. Lately it has been really dirty again.

Tonight I got a room and unloaded my stuff. I pulled back the mattress and there was a lot of hair on the box springs!! I talked to the girl at the front desk and she told me that there were several rooms that were closed due to bedbugs. When I went back to my room, I picked up a 2" roach that was right by my door and took it back to the front desk and put it on the computer phone screen. I told her that she needed to tell the owner to fumigate the building to get rid of the bedbugs and roaches. The girl at the desk said that she wasn't going to touch the phone because of the roach.

While I was doing my paperwork for the evening, the girl at the front desk called my room and told me that the owner, Manny, said that he watched me on the camera system put the roach on the front desk and heard what I said and then he asked me to leave the hotel. The girl said that if I didn't, they would call the cops and have me removed.

I went down the road to the Days Inn and spent $20.00 less and was cleaner than the "quality" inn.

I would not recommend this place to stay because I believed Manny was going to take better care of his place and the folks that stayed there.

Kenny

Room Tip: If you want a good room, do NOT stay here!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
8  Thank Kenny C
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband is a soldier and long term patient at BAMC for a combat injury. The Fisher House booked a stay here for my two children and I so we could visit him. The door took 5 minutes to open to the room and the stale smell made my stomach turn. The light would not turn on, there was what looked like vomit and blood on the walls, the bathroom was atrocious, the mini fridge was covered in spilled filth and the final straw was the dead bed bugs visable ON TOP of the stained white sheet! Didn't even let my children set our things down before we went to the front desk and demanded a refund. Gentleman at the front desk was not at all surprised. Seriously, the most disgusting place anyone would want to stay and thats coming from

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LoriH47
Reviewed 12 April 2013

One of the worst hotels I have ever seen. Where should I start? You know what they say “location, location, location” well this hotel was right off the freeway not bad right? Well it was also in a bad area that made us feel uncomfortable. We had to park our car in the front because the side door was locked at night and there was no way for us to get in. As for the service… well it was ok nothing out of the ordinary, nothing special. So we get there and check in and the room with the king sized bed we reserved is not available so they give us a room with 2 queen beds. Ok no problem how do we get to our room… go through the door and up the stairs… um… okay no elevator? Nope… so I carry our bags up the stairs and to our room as we are going up the stair and down the hall to our room there is a musky smell of wet unclean carpet. We get in the room and there is that same smell just a little fainter so we put our stuff down, walk into the bath room to prepare to take a shower after a long day and in the tub there are used wet towels and open bar of soap and a used wash cloth. So we pick up our bags and carry them back down stairs and explain what we saw. They say they are sorry and that it is not acceptable and move us to another room. Again we carry our bags back up the stairs and down the hall in the same musky smell to the new room. By this time we are a little hungry and tired so we drop off our bags and decide to go grab a quick bit to eat. We get back and pull the sheets back so we can hop into bed after a shower. We look down and see that the sheets are stained and by the looks of it they are blood stains. By this time we have had it and have decided that we will not be staying in this dump. We pick up our bags again and head down the hall and down the stairs and check out. This was the worst experience I have had in a hotel. I would never stay at any quality in again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple