“Nice 2 room suites but lacking in other areas”

Days Inn San Antonio Near at&T Center
Ranked #234 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here four nights and had no issues with security. Area is not great but most hotels in big cities are not in great areas. Staff was friendly and helpful. 2 room suites are nice especially for the price. Using your points really makes this a nice choice. We were there for Christmas and the staff was limited which meant breakfast was limited. The next day the breakfast was still basic with no hot food but waffles. Finally on Tuesday they had a better breakfast. The only thing was that the rooms and the halls could be cleaned better. They also need to do something in the halls and rooms to help with the smell since they do allow smoking in some rooms.

Room Tip: Get rooms on the top floor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 May 2011

Me and my friend had booked this hotel for 3 night over Easter weekend. The first night was uneventful, but the second night was a whole different story. The hotel is in a bad area of town and has some low income apartments across the street. On the second night of our stay our car was broken into and her gps stolen. 3 other cars were broken into as well. While waiting for the car window to be replaced we watched people from the apartments walk in the front door of the motel and out the side door with snacks. Then a few minutes later more people from across the street were walking in the side door to get snacks. When my friend went to look the side door had been left wide open for anyone to get into the motel. This motel needs better security. Thankfully they did let us checkout so we could find somewhere safer to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank ebest99
Reviewed 25 March 2011

The hotel messed our reservations and when asked to fix it they became defensive saying that I was the one who screwed up. The nieghborhood is horrible with kids off the street asking you for money when you pull in to park. The security is bad because the same kids were running around in the halls wich make it very uncomfortable. LOCK YOUR DOORS. Management needs to takes some courses on people skills.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank macblast
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Reserved a 3 night stay in non-smoking king room for the Alamo bowl. Since we had a car, the location was ideal at just 5 minutes from downtown. Arrived to find they put us in a smoking double bed room, which smelled worse than the ash tray on the table. I was told they were sold out that night and couldn't do anything till the next day. After some persistence, I got them to put us in a non-smoking suite for the first night. Then our proper room for the second and third.

Had to check out "as early as possible" of the suite room the next morning so they could prep it for the next guest. When we returned around 2, our new room was not ready yet. Apparently "we'll clean it first" is the same as "it won't be ready until 3pm". More persistence, got them to give us a room that was ready since we weren't feeling well and needed a nap. That room had blood stains on the mattress pad. By that point, we just threw a towel down and gave up.

Both rooms had dirty showers with lots of hair left behind. Breakfast was good, though. Overall just not very clean with little attention to detail. i had to complain and be persistent to get them to make the situation right, which shouldn't be necessary. I guess we got what we paid for at $60 / night, probably won't stay there again, though.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We walked in not expecting that it would be AWESOME! I really enjoyed it. I saw stay there because we will everytime.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Stayed here for one night to see The Alamo and move on through via I-10. If the place had been in a better location, it would probably have been a strong 4-star for me. But, the location pulls it down to a strong 3 in my opinion.

There are I believe 5 floors with interior corridors and elevators. Very nice place...seemingly pretty new and you can tell that the rooms have seen little wear. Flat screen TVs on the wall in the rooms, granite counters, etc. Comfy bedding and nice furnishings. The lobby and hallways all looked nice and smelled new.

The free breakfast is a bit on the lean side considering the bfast competition out there these days, but for the rate ($50s when we were there), I can't complain much about that...it was included and sufficient.

We noticed a couple of little things...light cover missing in the bathroom; light shade scorched from heat on the bedside lamp; leaking ceiling in the lobby foyer...but that's about it as far as physical issues.

There is ample parking, as well as an outdoor pool/hot tub...although, neither felt very secure to me personally. There are apartment complexes around the hotel, which looked questionable to me...hate to sound like a snob, but they did. This may be the most crime-free neighborhood in San Antonio for all I know, but it gave you that "hmmmm" feeling and I wouldn't want kids down by the pool unsupervised or an unsecured truck tool box guarding my valuables.

You can be at The Alamo and the riverwalk in 5 minutes or so following directions by the staff, but again...good neighborhood??..Beats me. Just seemed like an odd locale for such an otherwise nice hotel...but, this is probably why the rates are low.

The staff are incredibly friendly (Front desk lady...Mrs.??? was a pleasure) and very willing to answer questions/help. No dining is walkable. The location is convenient in that it is right off of I-10, but otherwise know in advance that it leaves a bit to be desired. This place also has a 24-hour cancel policy, so no changing your mind...once you're there, you're in:)

If following a GPS, you'll need to call and get a neighboring address as this hotel is freakishly addressed to I-10 and your GPS will be wildly confused.

Hate to say it, but probably wouldn't stay here again due to the outskirt location...if this doesn't matter to you though, go for it....value for quality otherwise is well above par.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank deskclerk102
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My husband and I were going to Sea World and Schlitterbahn this past Father's Day weekend. The hotel is about 15 minutes from Sea World and about 35 or so from Schlitterbahn.

We checked in with ease and the place was bright, clean, and cozy. I booked this room using reward points from the Choice Privileges card and was able to secure the last suite available. I had no idea it included so much! It was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite with a jacuzzi tub in the room, fridge, couch, microwave, etc. It had 2 flat screen tv's with cable and movies for purchase. It was clean and the bed in the "master" was very comfy.

I previously worked for a marketing company and represented Choice Hotels on the LPGA tour. I have stayed at COUNTLESS Choice properties all over the country and this one is one of my top favorites. We absolutely loved our experience here and will return for sure. When friends or family come and visit and want to go to San Antonio, we'll refer them here too. Checkout was simple and the breakfast was just okay. I'd give the breakfast a 3.5. It would be nice if they had warm options besides waffles.

For those looking to take advantage of the pool, just to warn you it's VERY TINY. We weren't looking for that so it didn't bother us.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple