“super value”

Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South
Ranked #52 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 4 March 2012

- Gorgeous architecture that combines old and new elements.
- I chose a room in the lowest price category, still it was as spacious and elegant as a real suite.
- Staff were friendly, especially the hotel manager.
If you just come to San Antonio to explore the city, this hotel may be slightly too far from down town.
But I'm very happy that I picked this hotel... truly the best value for your money.
I'll be back there.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Amado M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Reviewed 22 February 2012

This Country Inns is not the typical architecture and is very sleek and modern. The rooms and furnishings are excellent and the hotel is very comfortable. Well worth the price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DWoerner
Amado M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I'm just going to break it down piece by piece...

Arriving at the hotel: The hotel entrance is kinda weird. You can only enter from the side street. There is a huge empty parking lot on Broadway. I pulled into this parking lot because it looks like it goes right up to the front doors of the hotel. Wrong. You have to turn onto Gulfmart Street then take a left into the actual hotel parking. You can park in the huge parking lot since it's just a few steps from the entrance, but it's not the hotel's, so there were some construction vehicles parked in there. Either way, your preference.

Check-In: This was great (at first). A gentleman welcomed me and asked my name, etc.. I handed him the hotel's paperwork to verify that the card to be charged was not mine personally, but a corporate company card. He took it, all was good, and I got my key. 5 minutes into walking into my room, the room phone rang and it was the front desk telling me that my corporate card declined and I needed to come back to the front desk. I'm not sure how other company cards are, but usually the limits are high enough to charge a room to. I went back downstairs and a female at the front desk informed that it was declined and they needed another card. (Did I mention she was too busy to help me at first because she was talking to her son standing at her desk?) Especially with the way she said it as if I was someone off the street trying to scam the hotel. I was so embarrassed, especially since there were other guests standing there watching. Extremely annoyed and embarrassed, I told her I was going to go back to my room and get another card. While I was going to my room, one of my co-workers were trying to order from the bar and the bartender informed them that the credit card machines are working properly so he needed to pay cash. Really?!?! Your credit card machine wasn't working?!?! So basically the female on duty that embarrassed me in front of other people regarding my "declined" credit card, was wrong! How the hell does a bartender know the credit card machine isn't working but the front desk clerk doesn't?? Normally they would know before anyone else. At the end the room was charged. So all this unnecessary drama left me aggravated, embarrassed, and a sour taste towards the hotel service.

Room: The room was great! The bathroom has the designer sinks, amenities, hair dryer, etc.. There is a mini living room area with a love seat, ottoman, chair, and a flat screen on the wall. Next to the tv is a nice sized desk with a hard-wire internet access (although they give you a wifi password as well). (If you have an iphone, after you go to general settings to choose the hotel's wifi, you have to go to "safari" and log-in there with the hotel's username & password in order to get wifi on your phone.) There was a full length framed mirror, which was a nice addition. In front of the desk was a frosted window-type opening that you can open and close. I'm assuming that is for when someone is sleeping while another person is at the desk working??? On the other side of the window is the bed, small closet with a safe (in the wall), dresser with a flat screen tv, night stands, and a bench. There was also a console with a mini-fridge and microwave. Make sure you turn the fridge's settings when you put your stuff in there. I thought it was already on, so later when I go to get a drink, it was all warm. On top is a mini coffee maker with coffee, tea, etc..

Continental Breakfast: A great addition to staying here is the free breakfast. There were eggs, bacon, potatoes, bagels, mini-muffins, oatmeal, cold cereal, canned fruit, toast, and a belgian waffle maker. Plus apple, cranberry, and orange juice.

Bar: Bar drinks were good. Little pricey, but you expect that with a hotel bar.

So all and all I liked the hotel. I give it 4 stars only because of the drama during check-in.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SinCityJenn
CountryInn_78217, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies if in any way we made you feel uncomfortable. Although there are policies and procedures we must follow, there is no excuse for making you feel inadequate. Once again we apololgize and thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I used the Country Inn & Suites for a board meeting in January. They had several meeting rooms that fit our need, and we wound up in the Crockett/Travis Room. It was a room that could be split in two, so there was a couple screens for our AV to choose from. We had 16 people for the meeting in a u-shape and fit comfortably. We needed extra tables for our snacks and catered lunches and they were brought in very quickly. The hotel does not offer any food service to meeting rooms, so we were able to bring in our own food. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The hotel is very clean and modern, although the surrounding ground lots and business are not as nice. Look beyond this and you'll have a great visit. P.S. it's right near the airport, so location is convenient too.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed 7 February 2012

They sent the hotel van to lead me to the car rental return and then brought me back to the hotel. The hotel appeared to be new and everything was as it should be.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Wasn't sure about the hotel by the airport and highway but it was great - the bed was SO comfortable - best night of sleep I have had in a long time. didn't hear the highway or the planes in the room. Close and convenient and friendly. Also great hot breakfast choices - better than others I've stayed at. Easy on/off highway, McDonalds close by for quick refreshment before heading out on the road.

Room Tip: We asked what would be quietest and were told an upper floor, but we choose to be on the first floor...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was a great hotel. I kept wondering during my stay what was off. And it was that it is not "country". This must be a concept property. It was very modern, with a lot of attributes you would find at a hotel like aloft. The breakfast was a bit chaotic, and service wasn't up to there usual standards during this time period. That was the only reason I did not give this hotel a 5.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family