“Convenience and service”

Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South
Ranked #53 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were looking for a place to stay where we could leave our car while flying to a distant city. Country Inns filled the bill in many ways. They were amenable to me leaving the car for 9 days while I was gone and we stayed here both before and after our flights. The hotel is nice, up to date, has a decent breakfast buffet that includes tasty sausage and eggs and is convenient to the airport. Also important is the 24/7 free shuttle. When we returned at midnight, I just called the front desk and the shuttle picked us up promptly. We stayed on the top (4th) floor both nights and there was no noise to speak of, even from airplanes going over. There was a strange, empty hole about 2" in diameter above our bed, however, and we got two wake-up calls, 6:00 and 6:15, which we did not desire or request since we had only been asleep for about 4 hours (came in from Pacific time zone). Management apologized, but offered nothing further, which probably had something to do with the fact that they were 100% booked that night.

Room Tip: Book ahead for discounts.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Samuel V, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide great feedback for us to get even better. I appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff, breakfast, and shuttle service. We are also proud to have such a quiet hotel near the airport as all our rooms have double pane glass. We have since patched the ceiling where a previous smoke detector was removed and replaced. I'm very sorry about the mistaken wake up calls and can assure you that this is certainly the exception, and not the rule. Please contact our Front Office Manager the next time you're in San Antonio. We'd love to make it up to you with a discounted rate or free room upgrade. Thanks again for your exceptional feedback, and your business!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Everything was excellent, the staff was very nice, and the free breakfast made it that much better. The Hotel was very clean, and well organized. The staff was very helpful at all hours of the day or night. I highly recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for such stellar feedback from your stay with us. We always love to hear kind comments about our staff as they are the heart of our hotel. We strive to keep our hotel sparkling clean for our guests and love offering our complimentary hot breakfast everyday. We hope to see you again. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Aside from the fire alarm that went off at 4am one morning we really enjoyed our stay. Staff was pleasant, room was modern and clean. Had a King suite - separate area with the pull out sofa, TV, microwave and fridge, allowed for a little privacy. Indoor pool and work out room were a nice plus. Was a little disappointed with the breakfast offerings but overall it is a good option

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the alarm that went off early in the morning. It was a sensor malfunction that was immediately fixed. We are always looking for new ways to improve our breakfast. We currently offer a rotating menu daily to offer a better variety and will continue trying new items that cater to all our guests. Please contact our Front Office Manager via email or at the hotel directly for a discounted rate or free room upgrade on your next stay with us; our way of saying thanks for your patience with the alarm going off, and a huge thanks for your business.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We chose this hotel because it's a short shuttle ride to the airport (less than 5minutes). We had rented a car from Dollar/Thrifty so we unloaded our bags at the hotel, returned the rent car (1 block away) and walked back to the hotel. We made a reservation to catch the (24 hour) shuttle at the hotel for the next day for our flight home. The shuttle driver was ready for us the next day on time. The beds were like sleeping on a cloud...very comfortable. The room design was good. It was divided into two comfortable spaces; one for work/TV and one for sleeping (Internet was easy access). There is a Chilis Restaurant across the street. One block on the other side of the freeway is a good Mexican Food Restaurant and Jim's Cafe (one of my favorites for a Texas size chili cheeseburger and onion rings!) Don't be put off by the big empty parking lot in front. It used to be a store. Once inside the hotel, you'll see new modern conveniences, decor and a very friendly attentive staff. We will use this hotel again as "home base" whenever we fly out of SAT airport. We are in the travel business (20 years) and rate this one as a "good deal!"

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PVPamS

Thanks for such kind comments about our hotel! It's guests like yourselves that keep us striving to provide all our guests with a perfect stay. We too love the contemporary style of our lobby and the design of our rooms. All our rooms have seperate living areas and at least two TVs. I'm glad you liked our comfy beds as well! We can't wait until the next time we have the opportunity to serve you again. Thanks for choosing us as "homebase" anytime you need a great place to stay! Please contact our Front Office Manager the next time you're in San Antonio. We'd love to offer you a free room upgrade to one of our King Corner Tower Suites. Thanks again for your feedback, and your business!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had the worst experience ever at this hotel. I travel often with my family, we stay at various hotels and I must say that I have never seen or been a part of any bad customer service. Let's start with the reservation. To my understanding a reservation is to reserve a specific room or suite. I had created and made a reservation of two suites with two queen beds each, but according to the front desk the rooms that I had reserved had been already been given to other people. Don't you do a reservation count? Don't you check to see if the room had been reserved for someone else before offering it to another guest? I mean I've worked at the Hyatt Regency and our front desk manager would not allow us to not have the room that our guest had specifically reserved. it's bad customer service, but then again I know I am not staying at the Hyatt, or any other hotel that offers great customer service. When we told FRANK or FRANKO at the front desk that we wanted to speak to the General Manager his response to us was that HE DID NOT WANT TO COME OUT. Oh I'm sorry for trying to make you get up and do your JOB. For every business that had a GM that would use that same excuse for any guest complaint or compliment I would definitely have to reconsider why we as a business decided that he/she would be the face of our business. I mean god forbid that I pull you away from an interesting game of Angry Birds. So here we are trying to get 12 people in what I believe to be a regular room with a king bed and a pull out sofa? I mean if these rooms were meant as a joke to insinuate that we are LATINOS then I must say it was a pretty harsh joke, and we were not laughing. Once again we went to the front desk and wanted to speak to the GM, but once again I believe he was still playing Angry Birds, or might of been taking selfies "pretending to work" to post them on Instagram. So we decided to ride it out and just enjoy the family vacation. Once morning came around we were all excited for the breakfast that I had read and was described to blow McDonalds out of the breakfast industry, but once again we all were bamboozled. I may have to say that even the new breakfast at Taco Bell was a lot better, good thing there was a McDonalds right next to the hotel. So we go on about our day spending it at SeaWorld, visiting the Alamo. On our arrival back to the hotel we noticed that Housekeeping had been inside, but that's about it. Yes they may have replenish the towels, but the beds were as we left or the staff may have taken a nap of their own and left the beds as they were. I mean we did clear everything off the beds and put everything up in our suitcases to make sure that they made the beds, but I don't think they got the picture. Or it may have been all part of the joke. What really added the cherry on top to this delightful trip was that we got charged four arms and three legs, good thing we had enough to spare since there was 12 of us. I am just amazed at how disgusted I am to have had stayed there. I think I would of had better customer service just staying in my car with eleven other people. I will make sure that when I do travel that The Carlson chain is marked out of possible hotels to stay at.

Room Tip: With the service that me and my family got. I would say go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fernando S
Samuel V, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for your candid feedback. We apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. It's feedback like yours that allows us to pinpoint areas of improvement and I thank you for that. I'm sorry our General Manager was not available and can assure you that this is the exception, and not the rule. Please contact our Front Office Manager the next time you and your family are in San Antonio so that we can offer you an upgraded suite and discounted rate. Lastly, thanks for your patience, and your business.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Visited San Antonio over a three night weekend in late June. Didn't want to pay the river walk prices and had some Carlton points from a stay in Chicago last summer. Learned from a manager (more about that later) this property was built as another hotel....and converted to a Country Inn. Not like any other Country Inn we've stayed in...not better or worse...just different.

Imagine the usual room set-up with the bed centered on the right wall past the bathroom. Now, move the king bed next to the outer wall, place a tv on a small 3 drawer chest against the left wall facing the bed...then place a wall next to the bed creating a small sleeping area. A second tv was on the other side of the wall facing a small couch. So hard to describe.....looked like someone was given the typical room and told to re think the whole thing. We felt the extra wall crowded us. And the hotel supplies only one remote for the two tvs.

Bed, bathroom, shower, towels....all good...no problems. Breakfast was fine...enjoyed the hot, freshly made waffles. Pool was a joke. Really not a swimming pool...only a soaking pool. If it's advertised as anything else, it's false advertising.

Confusion upon check-in was probably my fault when I reserved one of our rooms under my sister's name ( she and a friend shared the second room)...and I found, upon review after returning home, I was charged a no-show fee for two of our nights. I called, spoke to a manager and we reached a compromise where he adjusted some charges....either through the kindness of his heart...or perhaps because I am a Carlton Club member...or just for good public relations. He DID let me know, in no uncertain terms, that he was under no obligation to adjust any of the charges as they were sold out. So, I greatly appreciated the gesture and compliment the manager on making a guest happy even when the fault was (most likely) mine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Amado M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

A. Julian M.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Airport location over the 4th of July
wknd. Would recommend staying out a bit from the chaos of the Riverwalk.
You'll save more than a few $$$$ on your room and have more peace and quiet.
Not to mention you have FREE pkg vs hotels @ River Walk often chg extra for pkg.

The city bus takes you downtown to the Riverwalk and The Alamo. Bust stop is
right outside the hotel. $3 rt/person and you can avoid the traffic at the River
Walk which is out of control and pkg is expensive! Some places as much as
$20/day! If you do choose to drive its a quick 15 min drive straight down
Broadway St which is located directly in front of the hotel.

The hotel offers a free shuttle and will take you anywhere in a 5 mile radius.
Again, avoid the traffic and chaos and let someone else drive you to dinner,
dancing (Country Saloon) and the mall! Shuttle is 24 hrs and extremely
reliable.

Several restaurants within walking distance. Chilis the service was so slow and
heard this from other people. Bar Flys if a local bar/pub. Don't sell food,
but on Fri's they often have free food. We had $2 beers and free burgers and
fries! Thai, Mexican and McDonald all within just a few blocks.

Free hot bkst is included in the room rate. Gym is spacious and 3 out of 3 days
I used it there was no one in the gym with me. Very SMALL indoor pool. Could
not be used to swim laps. 2 strokes and I would be at the other end. Its
approx the size of 2 very large hot tubs. Enough for 2 families to play in at
best, but we rarely saw it being used.

Free cookies offered at front desk much of the wknd. Certain times they would
run out.

Close to several parks. We checked out McAllister park which has 15+ miles of
trails if you walk/run all the trails. 6-7'ish miles from the hotel. MacArthur
Park is also close, but we did not get a chance to go.

Service was very good. Anything we needed they were able to accommodate. I
requested an extra blanket. 20 min later the front desk called to ensure it
arrived. Husband needed mustard for his leftovers in the room fridge. They went
in to the breakfast bar area and found him some.

After seeing the chaos at The River Walk we were so glad we did not spend a
significant amount of extra $$$ to stay in that area. Was very happy with our
choice and would choose this location again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clpayne
Samuel V, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for such kind comments about our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We always enjoy hearing about guests that take full advantage of all the free amenities we offer like the free shuttle, free breakfast, great fitness center, etc. The pool is perfect for small families and is certainly not a lap pool. I'm pleased to hear that you made it to the Riverwalk as you so eloquently put it: you really don't need to stay downtown as we're only 12-15 minutes away. We can't wait to have you back as we love to see our guests return. Thanks again for the great feedback and it was our pleasure to serve you. We hope to see you again!