“Nice Place but...beware of the "Member Services" staff, ie sales staff”
Review of Wyndham La Cascada

Wyndham La Cascada
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The facility itself is quite nice and very clean. For that part we'd likely return. I do believe that the folks with bloody sheets and black feet must have stayed elsewhere. The locale is not as near the Riverwalk as one might like but probably close enough.

The problem for us and yes we are owners was the member services/sales staff. We were subjected to a marathon by some idiot trying to get us to "upgrade" our ownership. For that reason alone we will likely never return. As this is written we are in contact with Wyndham regarding our stay and the resort manager is quite apologetic. We will see how it all turns out.

So be advised, stay away from any and all welcomes, owner training classes, gifts or any other promotions.

Room Tip: Stay away from the member services/sales people.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelertoo2
There are newer reviews for Wyndham La Cascada

Reviewed 28 February 2011

I agree with Bob from North Carolina - from reading some of the reviews, it doesn't seem like the same resort we stayed at. Glad I hadn't read any of them before we arrived.

I should mention we are Wyndham owners so I'm not sure if some of the services we received are supplied to everyone.

We have been staying in condos/timeshares since the 1990's so I've experienced about everything that could go wrong with accommodations - I'd rate the Wyndham La Cascada one of the top two or three we have stayed at. We've also had friends who have stayed there and loved it.

We stayed Feb 19-26 in one-bedroom deluxe unit on the 4th floor. It was very clean. No musty smell - even the halls were immaculate. All appliances and furniture were in good repair and seemed relatively new. Hotel is 100% non-smoking.

We arrived two hours before normal check-in time but were greeted warmly and checked in immediately. Even offered us freshly baked cookies.

We later checked in with the concierge who gave us maps and an overview of the free shuttle service the resort supplied that ran all day to the various locations in San Antonio (Alamo, etc.). However, we rapidly learned you could walk to many of the sites once you became familiar with the location.

If you flew into San Antonio, I'm not sure you'd really need a car - if so there's a local Hertz office downtown that will bring a car to you if you only wanted it for a day or two.

We did a lot of walking – the main Riverwalk was just a short walk along the branch of the river that flows behind the Wyndham. Never felt unsafe at any time. I’d really recommend talking a river boat tour of the Riverwalk – it really helps you get the lay of the land (water?).

One thing you might need a car for was to get groceries – they have an onsite deli/convenience store but it is VERY expensive. There are grocery stores such as HEB and Wal-Mart within 2-4 miles of the resort.

We received a call from the front desk after a few hours asking if we found everything acceptable.

One of the concierge staff visited us the next morning and went over area attractions and explained the use of the shuttle, He also recommended some area restaurants and gave us some coupons.

We found all the staff to be friendly - actually we found all Texans in the service industry to generally be extremely friendly and helpful.

Although I didn't care for the cost of paying for the valet parking, the attendants always had my car ready when I needed it and they never hung around looking for a tip like I've experienced in many other resorts (I was dreading that possibility).

And, they did not leave the keys unattended in the car – they always handed them to me personally when we arrived to get in the car. The resort even displayed a sign indicating we should only tip if we felt we had received exceptional service.

Our car was stored in a private underground garage behind iron gates. We dealt with several different valets at various time of day but never experienced anything other than friendly service.

I've found valet parking is not unusual in many downtown hote;resorts I've visited (Miami, Las Vegas, etc.)

There were other public outdoor lots available for less cost in the area but not sure I'd have been comfortable leaving my car unwatched in any of them.

We found housekeeping staff very friendly - they vacuumed and supplied us new towels mid-week without us asking. The front desk staff always welcomed us when we returned each day.

The pool was being renovated so I can't comment on it.

There's so much to do in the area, we are planning on going back next year.

10  Thank RetiringAt62
Reviewed 19 February 2011

My wife and I are on the last day of a one week stay. After reading the negative reviews about 'bloody sheets', cockroaches, children with black feet, and dangerous area to walk through to get to the river walk, I was very concerned about what we had in store. We arrived Sunday PM 2/13/2011 and were checked in promptly and POLITELY by Ruby. The first thing I did was check the sheets, (no blood), wipe the tile floors (no black feet), and check for bugs (no bugs). The room was very clean, it is about 75 yards to the river walk. There is about a 10 minute walk on the river walk to get to the 'hot spots' but we found the walk to be a good stroll after a good meal. If the garbage trucks here bother you, do not go to New York! I would not hesitate to return or toreccomend to friends. I am not an owner or an employee, just a retired traveller.

7  Thank Bob7502
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe for 5 nights and couldn't have been more pleased. The staff is professionally friendly, not overly gushy, but aren't we grown ups? Do we need hand holding? Whatever we needed, we were given promptly. More coffee, more laundry soap, clean towels, ice because the icemaker in our refrig hadn't made any yet, etc. The grounds and rooms are beautiful. We were on the south side of floor 6, so we didn't experience the trash truck noise. The unit was very spacious. The hot tub was perfect. The pool was being renovated. Of course we received the obligatory sales pitch calls. If there was anything annoying about the resort, this was it. We would tell them no, and then someone else would call the next day. Oh well, just kept saying no. The valet is free, but parking is $15/day. It is made perfectly clear that there are other places nearby to park. The difference is that those parking lots charge you each time you enter. So unless you park and leave your car all day, it isn't a bargain. Also, the resort parking is secure. The others? Not so much. The resort is not on what you would call the Riverwalk. But you can walk the river to the restaurant areas and attractions in no time- just walk over the waterfall area, loop down and around underneath the bridge you just crossed and the sidewalk will take you there. In fact, we ONLY walked to and from there for several reasons. You could indulge in your favorite adult beverage(s) and not worry about having to drive. The weather was beautiful. It was good exercise and a way not to go home with 5-10 extra pounds from all the wonderful food! The little store on the west side of the building, Hippo's, has a little bit of everything and yes, was overpriced, but you pay for convenience. The most impressive thing about our entire stay though, was the response we got when we told the manager, Jennifer, that our flight home had been delayed because of weather. She said we could stay another night at no charge! Think about that! Has any resort or hotel ever told you that you could have a free night simply because they were being nice? This was not their fault, and yet they were so generous. If (when) we go back, we will definitely stay at La Cascada.

4  Thank mkprice
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We just returned from LaCasada and thoroughly enjoyed it from the moment of arrival to departure. The 4 bedroom Presidential Suite was fully equipped and the 6 adults had plenty of space. Valet service was on time, so easy to use. The hotel transportation to the Alamo and around town was good to use to get to the heart of the Riverwalk. It was also easy to walk to the Riverwalk...just a block away to begin the beautiful walk. If you are used to walking this is the way to go! The only drawback of the entire week was having sales call us several times to take a 90 minute tour (so they can sell timeshare). One time NO Thanks should be enough! The pool is also broken and hot tubs don't work so well.(being repaired). We hated to leave such a beautiful setting and wonderful staff at the door and registration. Parking is $15.00 day ( a little high) but great service.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2010

We arrived late Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Checking in we asked about fresh coffee. We were told that none had been made since 2 PM, about 6 hours old, but the coffee urns kept the coffee hot. Should have warned us. The washer in our room was not serviceable, the baseboards were caked in dust, the rooms, we had two, were musky smelling, The dishwasher flooded the our room Thanksgiving day. The icebox went out the Friday after Thanksgiving. I am a Wyndham Owner. One of the sales guys told me if I didn't upgrade my membership my monthly maintenance fees would go up to the point I couldn't afford them. I complained and the only call I got was from the head Sales Person to apologize. No one at La Cascada has ever called about the room, and I filled the survey out as I put this here. Terrible experience. Not Friendly. The previous write up about the dumpsters are emptied at 4:00 AM is dead on, wakes you up everytime. Do yourself a favor. Stay anywhere but Wyndham La Cascada. We won't be going back to this resort. I do not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank atcken55
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed in one of the 4 bedroom Presidential units on the top floor for 3 nights. The unit itself was beautiful and roomy for the 7 of us staying there and the 2 staying in a 2 bedroom deluxe elsewhere in the hotel. The kitchen/dining/living area was all very upscale and great for socializing. We had a balcony as well.

It was a Ladies Weekend, so we spent a ton of time in the salt water pool and hot tub - we could see it from our balcony. However, while the hotel was close to the Riverwalk, it was actually located around the court house area where a lot of businesses/food establishments did not remain open on the weekend or later in the evening. Having a car would have been helpful, but was something we were trying to avoid. I think we would have appreciated some more amenities close by as one would expect of a resort type property.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends