“Awesome Place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Awesome Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

The condo/room was just wonderful, great staff, so accessible to everywhere by bus or walking. Provided a shuttle that took you to various areas of the city. Rooftop pool and spa, very kid friendly. Nice inexpensive grocery store attached, just a great place to relax and see San Antonio. Will go back here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Cow3girl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

My parents are owners with Wyndham Vacation Resorts and they gave us 5 days at the Wyndham La Cascada as an anniversary gift. After reading some of the reviews I have to say I was a little nervous. We had none of the problems that some other people have talked about. We stayed in a 1BR deluxe on the 6th floor. It was very clean and set up really nice! My only complaint is that the couch isn't the most comfortable piece of furniture. We weren't there to sit around though and we headed out to start exploring. The resort is about a 15 minute walk from the main part of the Riverwalk but is about a 7-10 minute walk to the La Vallita area. If you are into art and jewelry this is a must see area. We walked at night and did not feel unsafe. In fact there were bike police out at all times of day around there. Hippos is a nice little grocery and while their prices may be a little higher than what you pay at home I didn't think they were out of line at all. You are paying for convenience! A few people complained about the sales pitch. We recieved one phone call, were asked to go on the tour/sales pitch in exchange for dinner certificate and our boat ride tickets, and were told in advance that it would be 60-90 minutes. We agreed to go because who doesn't like free stuff. We told the guy up front we were not buying anything and he respected that and didn't waste our time - we were out of there in an hour. We were not harassed and never heard from the sales staff again! The front desk staff was super nice and very helpful. All in all it was a great stay in a beautiful resort and we will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lori32779
New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

The suite was beautiful, very clean, comfortable & quiet. There is a nice roof top pool on the sixth floor which was windy in the later afternoon. A short walk from the hotel to the River Walk (turn left when you come out the front door and you are right at the River Walk; and a few short blocks to the restaurant/shopping area. SA was warm (mid 90's) and humid. There is a shuttle during the day, bad thing is that it starts after 8 AM and stops running at 5 PM. The hotel charges $15/day for parking (unlimited in/out), parking is inside & secure. The valet always brought the car to us within a few minutes, or you can call & it will be waiting for you. The front desk staff was not friendly or very helpful (didn't seem to know the area, or willing to take the time to answer questions). No restaurants in the area other than the River Walk Area and we found those to be mediocre at best. There is an over priced deli at the hotel and grocery stores are a long drive so pick up what you will need when you drive in to SA. Our room had a full kitchen which is a standard with Wyndham Resorts.

Room Tip: Call be for arrival to see about anupgrade
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank High-Dry
Geilenkirchen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

We really enjoyed the La Cascada but unfortunately the sales presentation we very reluctantly agreed to go to put a damper on our stay. We will never agree to go to one again, in my opinion there is nothing they could compensate us with that would make up for how we were treated by the sales staff here. On the other hand, the suites are beautiful, the location is good, and the regular staff is wonderful. So, I recommend staying here, just don't agree to the sales presentations unless you intend to purchase or upgrade, it's not worth it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank luv2trvl98
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

The facility itself is quite nice and very clean. For that part we'd likely return. I do believe that the folks with bloody sheets and black feet must have stayed elsewhere. The locale is not as near the Riverwalk as one might like but probably close enough.

The problem for us and yes we are owners was the member services/sales staff. We were subjected to a marathon by some idiot trying to get us to "upgrade" our ownership. For that reason alone we will likely never return. As this is written we are in contact with Wyndham regarding our stay and the resort manager is quite apologetic. We will see how it all turns out.

So be advised, stay away from any and all welcomes, owner training classes, gifts or any other promotions.

Room Tip: Stay away from the member services/sales people.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank travelertoo2
Pekin, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I agree with Bob from North Carolina - from reading some of the reviews, it doesn't seem like the same resort we stayed at. Glad I hadn't read any of them before we arrived.

I should mention we are Wyndham owners so I'm not sure if some of the services we received are supplied to everyone.

We have been staying in condos/timeshares since the 1990's so I've experienced about everything that could go wrong with accommodations - I'd rate the Wyndham La Cascada one of the top two or three we have stayed at. We've also had friends who have stayed there and loved it.

We stayed Feb 19-26 in one-bedroom deluxe unit on the 4th floor. It was very clean. No musty smell - even the halls were immaculate. All appliances and furniture were in good repair and seemed relatively new. Hotel is 100% non-smoking.

We arrived two hours before normal check-in time but were greeted warmly and checked in immediately. Even offered us freshly baked cookies.

We later checked in with the concierge who gave us maps and an overview of the free shuttle service the resort supplied that ran all day to the various locations in San Antonio (Alamo, etc.). However, we rapidly learned you could walk to many of the sites once you became familiar with the location.

If you flew into San Antonio, I'm not sure you'd really need a car - if so there's a local Hertz office downtown that will bring a car to you if you only wanted it for a day or two.

We did a lot of walking – the main Riverwalk was just a short walk along the branch of the river that flows behind the Wyndham. Never felt unsafe at any time. I’d really recommend talking a river boat tour of the Riverwalk – it really helps you get the lay of the land (water?).

One thing you might need a car for was to get groceries – they have an onsite deli/convenience store but it is VERY expensive. There are grocery stores such as HEB and Wal-Mart within 2-4 miles of the resort.

We received a call from the front desk after a few hours asking if we found everything acceptable.

One of the concierge staff visited us the next morning and went over area attractions and explained the use of the shuttle, He also recommended some area restaurants and gave us some coupons.

We found all the staff to be friendly - actually we found all Texans in the service industry to generally be extremely friendly and helpful.

Although I didn't care for the cost of paying for the valet parking, the attendants always had my car ready when I needed it and they never hung around looking for a tip like I've experienced in many other resorts (I was dreading that possibility).

And, they did not leave the keys unattended in the car – they always handed them to me personally when we arrived to get in the car. The resort even displayed a sign indicating we should only tip if we felt we had received exceptional service.

Our car was stored in a private underground garage behind iron gates. We dealt with several different valets at various time of day but never experienced anything other than friendly service.

I've found valet parking is not unusual in many downtown hote;resorts I've visited (Miami, Las Vegas, etc.)

There were other public outdoor lots available for less cost in the area but not sure I'd have been comfortable leaving my car unwatched in any of them.

We found housekeeping staff very friendly - they vacuumed and supplied us new towels mid-week without us asking. The front desk staff always welcomed us when we returned each day.

The pool was being renovated so I can't comment on it.

There's so much to do in the area, we are planning on going back next year.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank RetiringAt62
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

My wife and I are on the last day of a one week stay. After reading the negative reviews about 'bloody sheets', cockroaches, children with black feet, and dangerous area to walk through to get to the river walk, I was very concerned about what we had in store. We arrived Sunday PM 2/13/2011 and were checked in promptly and POLITELY by Ruby. The first thing I did was check the sheets, (no blood), wipe the tile floors (no black feet), and check for bugs (no bugs). The room was very clean, it is about 75 yards to the river walk. There is about a 10 minute walk on the river walk to get to the 'hot spots' but we found the walk to be a good stroll after a good meal. If the garbage trucks here bother you, do not go to New York! I would not hesitate to return or toreccomend to friends. I am not an owner or an employee, just a retired traveller.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple