“Perfect place to stay in San Antonio”
Review of Wyndham La Cascada

Wyndham La Cascada
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kissimmee, Florida
“Perfect place to stay in San Antonio”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Wyndham La Cascada provided a great place from which to explore Riverwalk and other attractions of San Antonio. The resort is located on the river, with a short walk to the restaurants, etc. One can also head the opposite direction for a hike or jog along the river to the King William district and beyond. The resort is beautifully maintained, and our two bedroom deluxe unit was huge, with all the amenities one expects. The queen size sofa bed even had a comfortable mattress, which is not always the case. Staff were uniformly helpful, from the manager to the receptionists, concierge, and anyone else we contacted. They all went out of their way to accommodate us if necessary. Some reviews have commented on a being pressured into a sales presentation, but Wyndham must have listened because I did not have that experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank schwartzapn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Enumclaw
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a very nice condo unit on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. The room was perfect and had everything you would need to have an enjoyable stay.

If you have stayed at other Wyndham's you might note they may offer more to do ie, craft etc, this one did not. The view from the roof pool was nice. The room balconies were o.k., but the property doesn't have great views unless you are in the Presidential suites.

The location was nice as you can get to so many place via the Riverwalk and there are a ton of Restaurants to choose from. Lots of history in San Antonio.

Room Tip: The higher the better! Valet parking is $15 per day.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here at least 6 times and love the location, rooms, desk staff, and even are ok with the valet parking.
Was disappointed this time that we arrived at 3:15 (VIP) and room wasn't ready until 4:00.
Biggest mistake was agreeing to members service (sales) to come up the next morning. I hate that they act like they don't know that we are VIP and own 1,000,000 points. I hate that they don't understand why we purchased where we did and can show us how to make better use of our points. I hate that they don't understand why we wouldn't want to leave each of our children 1,000,000 points. I hate they don't take "were not interested in buying anything".
We were only in town 2 nights, didn't want to spend time with them. We had reservations in Oct, Nov and Dec at other Wyndam properties for longer period of times. we could get info then. They finally agreed to leave but asked us to stop by in afternoon and they would have inform on new things within Wyndam we could take with us. 4 pm was the time given.
We did come back around that time due to rain threatening and ran into one of the reps. He acted surprised to see us and said he would get the stuff promised from the other guy. He comes back and says that guy left and the stuff is locked in his office. Tried to get us to agree to delay leaving in am. When that didn't work, acted like he was going to see if he could put something together and he left. When he returned, empty handed, he just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing was available. ????? Can't believe we allowed them to again waste our time!!!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Norma T
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2013

After checking in to a very nice resort with what seemed like over the top friendly staff, we enjoyed an enjoyable evening riding by river taxi to great little Mexican restaurant. However the next morning we get a call at 8 am begging us to come down for a 15 minute quality survey. After declining that and the promised meal discount certificates I later asked to speak to the manager. A security guard shows up along with the manager and the guy that called me. I politely complained and requested that we do not receive a similar call the next morning. Sheesh. Feeling seriously put off and pressured.

Room Tip: Our room is on the sixth floor near the pool so we did not have to ride the elevator to go to the po...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank clarkems
Fayetteville
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed at this location as part of a couple's anniversary getaway from NC. Though it's not "smack dab" in the middle of downtown San Antonio, I loved the location and it's a quick 5 - 10 minute walk to some of the tourists spots, depending on where you are going. At the most, it may take 20 minutes to walk to a particular location but then, I do enjoy walking as one of the best modes to explore a lively downtown area like SA. The hotel is overall very nice and updated and the lobby area is open and welcoming. I stayed in the 1BRM deluxe and the room was very nice and spacious for a couple, loved the french windows flair, and the 3-side balcony allowed for privacy; the appliances are slightly outdated ie they are basic white instead of the black or stainless steel that I was expecting, given that this hotel is fairly new; gym area was somewhat small but the equipment was new and in great working condition; enjoyed the daily craft vendors in the lobby - nice touch! Loved the 6th floor outdoor, rooftop pool area but it closes early at 10pm - it would be nice if it stayed open until 11pm. The hotel provides a shuttle to the major tourist areas but it ends by 5pm but it would be nice if it stayed available until at least 9pm; hotel requires valet parking but street parking via meters is available and it's free at 6pm, especially on the side streets; I used valet parking (1) night and then switched to street parking - I'd rather spend my money on shopping! Overall, my only slight disappointment is that I asked for a high floor when I booked the room 30 - 45 days in advance and again 3-days before my arrival but didn't get it; I do believe the best rooms went to the timeshare sales visitors. I had a decent city view from my room but of course, there's nothing like a city view from the top floor. Also, the hotel could offer more discounts to various attractions, especially for owners, not just for restaurants. One last thing, the hotel sits along the Riverwalk, with access directly behind the hotel - loved it! Enjoy your stay and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor facing the city! Can save money from valet parking by parking on the side street...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank babylovenc
Vonore, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We are Wyndham vacation owners and have stayed at many of their resorts. We have no complaint with the room we had at La Cascada. We did think the valet fee was a bit silly in light of other free parking spaces available but it was a minor matter. The resort is not on the Riverwalk per se, and you do have to walk several blocks to the restaurants and attractions. There is a shuttle but check out the times it runs when you arrive and the last return. We used it, and the driver was pleasant.

The real issue was with the sales rep. He appeared in our room about a half hour after we arrived while we were trying to relax and wanted to set up a time to meet. We were only in San Antonio for two days and we told him we wanted to do a lot of sightseeing. After much pressure, we told him we would return the next day at 5 PM and meet him but we didn't want to ruin his day. The next day, he called us on my cell phone while we were on a tour and asked if we could return sooner. Annoyance no. 2 from him. We did make the meeting but he would not begin until my husband was there as well. My husband was not interested. (We are already gold members and told him we were not interested in buying more points and we also told him we had an only child and weren't interested in the plan to deal with multiple heirs.) The sales rep then told us we had points expiring which we knew was not true. We had talked to our gold rep and she explained why some points showed up as expiring when in fact they did not. The sales rep at La Cascad would not believe us. He was rude, pushy and quite frankly did RUIN our vacation at that point. We bought into Wyndham to have some fun, not to be harassed. If you are an owner and don't want another sales pitch be firm from the start and say "no I will NOT meet with you on this stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Torte_Sue
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My family and/or I have stayed here at least a dozen or more times over the last 2 or 3 years. We really enjoy it and have not had any complaints. I would definitely recommend it.

I've stayed at 6 or 7 different hotels on the Riverwalk and La Cascada is my favorite hotel. The rooms are very nice and spacious. More so than the hotels that are right on the Riverwalk as space is a premium and the rooms in those hotels seem to be smaller. This hotel is on the river but not on the busy, touristy part of the Riverwalk. You have to walk about 2 blocks to get to the main Riverwalk. Not something that has ever bothered us but if you want a room overlooking the Riverwalk and want to stay right in the middle of everything, you might look into another hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family